PDA

View Full Version : European cabinet hinges on a bookcase?

Stephen Tashiro
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I think it would be interesting to try to use European cabinet hinges for the doors on a bookcase. However, the mounting hardware for a such a cabinet hinge sticks out from the side of a cabinet, which would interfere with sliding a book up against it. Is there a simple design that overcomes this problem? If the edge of the case that is near the door is made of thick stop, could the hinge be recessed into side of the bookcase?

Jamie Buxton
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Thick stock could do the job, but it'll have to be very thick. Look at the specs on those hinges. They tell you how far the hinges protrude into the opening, and it is quite a ways.

A simpler solution would be to put a bookend on the shelf on the hinge side. Remember those bookends that are an L-shaped piece of sheet metal? One leg of the L is vertical, and the other is goes under the books. They'll cost you a lot less than thick wood, and serve the same purpose.

Glenda Marais
09-16-2010, 7:18 AM
I know the manufacturers are going to hate my advise but here goes.

I have used these hinges the wrong way and they work yust fine. What do I mean?

I have drilled the pot hole in the side of the cabinet and attached the door to the base plate and slider that usualy goes against the side pannel.

The result is that the sides are not restricted as much.

I will try and get a pic posted.