PDA

View Full Version : Gift of walnut. Cutting advice needed.

Chris Colman
09-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I have been given some walnut logs, from 16 to 24 inches in diameter.

In reference to my previous post about not being able to turn over a 12 inch diameter piece, how would you Creekers chain saw this walnut up to get the most out of it.

Would you just go after the heartwood? Or would you try to incorporate the sapwood too?

How do you do it?

On big diameter logs, do you do it like the attached pic to avoid the pith?

Advice please.

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Chris, I haven't turned much with green wood, but I have cut up some walnut recently. I cut the sides off the log like you have shown, and the cut through the pith and ended up with two slabs. I bandsawed 12" rounds from them and sealed them.

With it being cut in the summer, it is unlikely you could save much bark for a NE, but you may want to try.

The sapwood thing is a personal choice, and I think you will get a variety of answers on that one.

With the 24" logs, depending on the capacity of your lathe, you may want to consider other cutting options.

David E Keller
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I typically try to envision the project before cutting up the log. There's nothing wrong with the scheme you illustrated if you want bowl blanks. If you're after hollow form blanks, you might want to cut it differently. You're right to plan for removal of the pith. As for the sapwood, it all depends on the look you're after. I generally like the contrast, so I'd plan to include it if I were cutting the log.

Bob Bergstrom
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I prefer all chocolate. No vanilla. That beautiful brown is hard to beat. Always cut out the pith or it will probably crack. Don't get greedy. Look for the best wood and choose the size and form that will compliment it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 11:21 PM
On a 24" log I would cut about a 1/2" either side of the pith. I have did this on several walnut logs. I use the center with the pith for pen blanks and finial blanks. I leave the blanks cut with the bark on till turning. Sometimes NE and most times just turn it off when doing a regular bowl.

Chris Colman
09-03-2010, 11:42 PM
This stuff was cut very early this spring. It has sat outdoors since then.

The bark is all stoft and spongy, NE is out.

The ends have very little checking, a little crack at the pith only.

Scott Hackler
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Get the checking cut off asap and get it chopped up and either roughed out of sealed up in individual blanks.

Here is what I would do if I had your lathe capacity anf that diameter of log.