PDA

View Full Version : I suck now!!

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 9:56 PM
Got my 'new to me' Holdfast setup - took all of 5 minutes - and, it is sweet!!
Thanks Bernie, and Ray - Bernie sold it to Ray Bell, and Ray and I worked a trade for some wood!!!:D;)

With my compressor set on 70#, it pulls 24Hg with my finger on the hole at the lathe, and with a hollowed pot pourri bowl on it (no sealer or finish) it pulls 12Hg. Works like a charm!!
160287 160290

BTW, I kidded Scott about being in Christmas mode with all the ornaments he has been making, but the truth is, I am working on Christmas stuff, too!!:o Pot pourri production mode. The one on the lathe is redwood burl, and in the last pic, the finished one is cherry, mesquite next to the cherry, Ambrosia maple on the left and two Claro walnut.

Alan Trout
09-03-2010, 9:58 PM
John,

You truly do suck! congratulations.

Alan

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 9:59 PM
Sweet is the word John... My next investment will be some sort of vacuum setup. I already have a pump ("left over" from my "flatwork" days) but still haven't decided on a chuck. BTW the pots look great!

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Good for you JK! I am glad you got it up and running...........I told someone [I forget who] that the Hold Fast system is so simple it is like Vacuum Chucking for Dummies :D

I think the beauty of the system is that it is so simple, yet it is effective. Dave Hout [of DIY Network fame] is one of the designers of this system, and did a great video on it.

I am sure you will put it through its paces in short order!

Robert McGowen
09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Once you have a vacuum setup, you will wonder how you ever did without one. They open up a whole other world of possibilities. Have fun!

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I told someone [I forget who] that the Hold Fast system is so simple it is like Vacuum Chucking for Dummies :D

I think the beauty of the system is that it is so simple, yet it is effective. That it is Roger! There is nothing to setting this thing up - dial down the line pressure on the compressor, put the adapter in the lathe drive, attach the plastic tubing, set the pressure with the regulator knob - DONE!

I think this system would work for anyone. Honestly, after a couple of times with the compressor kicking in, I didn't even notice it.

Sweet is the word John... My next investment will be some sort of vacuum setup. I already have a pump ("left over" from my "flatwork" days) but still haven't decided on a chuck. BTW the pots look great!David, I bought the 3" Holdfast chuck on sale at Hartville, and I plan to make another one from a PVC fitting. But, I will have to say, the Holdfast chuck is very nice, well made, and I like the replaceable seals on it. Kinda wish I had just gotten the 6" at the same time.

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
John,

When you get the 6" chuck head, go ahead and order an extra set of gaskets for them also. That way, in case something should happen, you won't have any down time during a project.

I got both sizes, and also made a shop built 4 inch from trex decking and a PVC reducing coupler 4" to 2" and you can get the seal material in a 4ft. length [I think it is 4 ft.] to make your own seals. These seals are superior to most craft foam seals that a lot of folks use, and more durable as well.

You can get all this from WWW.Stickfast.net (http://WWW.Stickfast.net) or WWW.TMIProducts,net (http://WWW.TMIProducts,net)

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
John congrats. Looks like it works really well.

David E Keller
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
That's a nice looking setup, and I'm happy to hear that you find it simple. To be honest, I've put off getting a vacuum set up mainly because I'm intimidated by the whole thing. I've never known what to order or how to use it. This may be the inspiration I've needed to get off high-center.

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Roger, Hartville is/was having a really good sale on the chucks. I don't recall whether the system was on sale or not since I already had this one. I probably will hold off at this point on the 6" to see if the one I am going to build will work OK. For most of the forms I do, the 3" should work great. It is close on the pot pourri bowls when they are recessed for the lids, but it works.

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
That's a nice looking setup, and I'm happy to hear that you find it simple. To be honest, I've put off getting a vacuum set up mainly because I'm intimidated by the whole thing. I've never known what to order or how to use it. This may be the inspiration I've needed to get off high-center.

Hi David,

If you have a compressor already, there is no easier way to set up a system, and no faster way either! This system really does work well........good luck!

Michael James
09-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Mr K... It's gratifying to see you doing the ordinary, doable lil projects, albeit very well, that we the mere mortals of the creek might be able to do well on a good day!
Although, I know there's another masterpiece lurking somewhere between visualization and manifestation in that shop...........:cool:

gary Zimmel
09-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Oh my god, one more toy for the wish list. It really doesn't stop does it...
Congrats John! Looks like you will give it a heavy work out right away.
Xmas pot pourri presents already. Don't we still have seven months left to do them??

Steve Vaughan
09-03-2010, 11:32 PM
John, you got me itching to start using mine! I got the whole setup not long ago, with a 3" and a 6" chucks. You're right, I played a little with it and it is easy to set up, get it going, and seems to hold stuff rock solid. I got the reverse chucking adapter from amazon for my DVR, so, I'm good to go if I can just get away from this kitchen makeover thing so I can get back to turning some.

Ray Bell
09-04-2010, 3:53 AM
John, good to see that system finally in use. I am glad you are happy with it.

brian watts
09-04-2010, 4:28 AM
:p John congrats.

Jon Lanier
09-04-2010, 4:55 AM
I would LOVE to have something like that for my mini Rikon. I don't have a clue of understanding how any of it works.

Tony De Masi
09-04-2010, 7:01 AM
Yes. Yes you do.

John Keeton
09-04-2010, 7:37 AM
I would LOVE to have something like that for my mini Rikon. I don't have a clue of understanding how any of it works.Jon, it is really just a venturi vacuum generator that uses the stream of air from your compressor flowing across a constricted opening (hose going to the lathe) to create suction in that hose. There are several out there, but the Holdfast seems to be highly efficient, and capable of generating the higher inches of mercury (Hg) needed for a lathe.

They have a newer model now that is even more efficient - I notice the links Roger posted aren't working, but Hartville does have these on sale here (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12964) for $220 for the system.

The only components to this system are the adapter that goes in the lathe headstock, a plastic tube connecting the adapter to the venturi generator, and the chuck. Other than some connectors, that is it.

The 'box' has a female threaded hole for installation of a male quick disconnect for the compressor hose. There is a male connector for the plastic hose. The silver knob between them is the 'regulator' that adjusts the vacuum level.

You do need to have a compressor with a line regulator so you can keep a line pressure around 70 lbs., though the newer model only requires about 60# as I recall.

It really could not be a more simple solution. And, other than the compressor noise, would have to think this system works as well as the vacuum pump systems, though I have no experience with them.

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2010, 8:43 AM
Looks like a good setup John. That's one of the things on my "wish list".

Josh Bowman
09-04-2010, 8:53 AM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;
With my compressor set on 70#, it pulls 24Hg with my finger on the hole at the lathe, and with a hollowed pot pourri bowl on it (no sealer or finish) it pulls 12Hg. Works like a charm!![/QUOTE]
John......no tinkering.....:mad:
Glad you got the setup. I used mine last night to do the bottom of a little hard maple dish and it did great. 2 questions, if you hold block the vacuum at the tube before it enters the lathe shaft, how much is the vacuum? How much noise does the eductor make (not inclucing the compressor)?

John Keeton
09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Josh, I just finished off the bottom of one of the little pots, and with the form on the lathe, I got 22Hg. I don't think I could have pried it off with a crowbar!!! If I put my finger over the hole at the drive spindle, I get 24-25Hg.

There is NO noise from the unit except the very slight hiss of air passing through it when it is on. Keep in mind that there is no power to this unit - it is working solely from the air supply. The only noise is from the compressor.

I guess all that have a vacuum system take this for granted, but the really neat thing is when I have the chuck in my tailstock adapter, I can turn on the unit, and slowly crank the piece right on to the vacuum chuck and it is dead centered! So sweet!!!:D

I can get a pretty good center with the donut chuck using a similar method, but not as good as this!

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
John,

Congrats on getting your vac system up and running! Pretty amazing to be able to turn something and have total access to the bottom area for sanding! Have fun!

robert raess
09-04-2010, 2:51 PM
A little learning curve here..It seems like the critical pc. is the generator.If you have a compressor you're good there.The chuck itself, and the compression rings can be readily made..yes? I too am interested in this vacuum chuck, and want to know the 'essentials', and the things i can make myself. thanks rob

Jon Lanier
09-04-2010, 3:22 PM
Jon, it is really just a venturi vacuum generator that uses the stream of air from your compressor flowing across a constricted opening (hose going to the lathe) to create suction in that hose. There are several out there, but the Holdfast seems to be highly efficient, and capable of generating the higher inches of mercury (Hg) needed for a lathe.

They have a newer model now that is even more efficient - I notice the links Roger posted aren't working, but Hartville does have these on sale here (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12964) for $220 for the system.

The only components to this system are the adapter that goes in the lathe headstock, a plastic tube connecting the adapter to the venturi generator, and the chuck. Other than some connectors, that is it.

The 'box' has a female threaded hole for installation of a male quick disconnect for the compressor hose. There is a male connector for the plastic hose. The silver knob between them is the 'regulator' that adjusts the vacuum level.

You do need to have a compressor with a line regulator so you can keep a line pressure around 70 lbs., though the newer model only requires about 60# as I recall.

It really could not be a more simple solution. And, other than the compressor noise, would have to think this system works as well as the vacuum pump systems, though I have no experience with them.

Did I mention I'm dyslexic? I've got to 'see' it being done/created...etc. Then I'd understand all that which you just said. How about a video?

Ray Bell
09-04-2010, 3:38 PM
John, I received the wood today. It is all very nice, and I am looking forward to turning this. Especially the Ambrosia Maple, as I have never seen this. Thank you.

Josh Bowman
09-04-2010, 3:59 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1505453]Josh, I just finished off the bottom of one of the little pots, and with the form on the lathe, I got 22Hg. I don't think I could have pried it off with a crowbar!!! If I put my finger over the hole at the drive spindle, I get 24-25Hg.

There is NO noise from the unit except the very slight hiss of air passing through it when it is on. Keep in mind that there is no power to this unit - it is working solely from the air supply. The only noise is from the compressor. QUOTE]

That's great performance John! We use lots of eductors here at my work and most are extremely noisy, so that was my concern with it. If you're just hearing a hiss, you have me beat with a Gast 522 pump buzzing away (or you're deaf:D:D). If the unit can pull 25 hg with no attachments on it, anything less would be something you've added and can be improved if needed. My Gast only pulls 26 hg at the pump, once I run through the plumbing, it loses a couple of Hg. So again you're doing good. That unit sound like a winner. Steve S. mentioned something I've not consided with mine. Say you're cutting away and open a void or crack the turning.....Zing goes the wood. I'm going to limit my speed and body position with mine.

John Keeton
09-04-2010, 7:47 PM
A little learning curve here..It seems like the critical pc. is the generator.If you have a compressor you're good there.The chuck itself, and the compression rings can be readily made..yes? I too am interested in this vacuum chuck, and want to know the 'essentials', and the things i can make myself. thanks robRobert, there isn't much to this setup to make - other than the chuck. Other than the plastic/vinyl tubing, the only other part is the spindle adapter - and it consists of a bearing (the key to the whole thing being highly efficient, I suspect), a piece of threaded lamp rod, and a nylon retainer nut. Cost is $57 retail, but can be bought on sale cheaper. Not worth my time to try to put all that together and chance leakage in the bearing, but others that like to tinker may feel differently (Josh!!;):))

The piece shown with the blue tubing contains the bearing, and goes against the handwheel, the rod threads into it with some teflon, you cut the rod to allow about 1/4" to protrude beyond the spindle, and thread on the nylon nut as is shown. That's it.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/main/holdfast-chuck-adapt.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:PopupPic('/products/large/holdfast-chuck-adapt_l.jpg');)

Did I mention I'm dyslexic? I've got to 'see' it being done/created...etc. Then I'd understand all that which you just said. How about a video?Not much to video Jon, and I couldn't do that and upload it anyway.

John, I received the wood today. It is all very nice, and I am looking forward to turning this. Especially the Ambrosia Maple, as I have never seen this. Thank you.Great, Ray!! Hope you are as pleased as am I!!:D

Steve S. mentioned something I've not consided with mine. Say you're cutting away and open a void or crack the turning.....Zing goes the wood. I'm going to limit my speed and body position with mine.Josh, I don't anticipate using this for much other than finishing off the bottoms of forms, and perhaps some odd things that don't come to mind right now. I would be very hesitant to use if for general turning.

Steve Vaughan
09-04-2010, 8:16 PM
Added note for those of you wanting to make your own. I think the paperwork that came with the Holdfast system mentions that the threaded rod that goes through the headstock is just the standard hollow 3/8"(?) threaded rod you can buy at a lot of places for use in a lamp.