PDA

View Full Version : Lathe tool rack designs

Ron Kaplan
09-03-2010, 1:08 PM
Does anyone have suggestions or plans for a wall mount over lathe tool rack? I know that most are fairly simple, but I really don't want my tools falling down on my lathe as soon as I put some vibration in to the floor.

Thanks,
Ron

Scott Hackler
09-03-2010, 1:18 PM
Ron,

Here is a picture of the one I built (similar to the ones everyone else builds). Works great. I need a either a bigger one or another one...now!

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/toolrack.jpg

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 1:27 PM
My lathe tools are mostly all piled up on my workbench so I really need a rack of some kind. My problem is that, because my shop is in a tent, there is no way to mount a rack on the wall. So mine is going to have to be free standing....

Harvey Schneider
09-03-2010, 1:58 PM
I like my tools business end up so that I can see which tool I am grabbing for.
The rack is pieces of PVC tube screwed to a 1x6. The upper screw is recessed inside the tube, so there is an oversized hole to access it. The lower screw spans the bottom of the tube and prevents the tool from falling through. The rear rank uses two long screws in an attempt to make the more distant tool stand a little higher. Be aware that if you don't stagger the height of the screws you will split the wood.
Chips and sawdust cannot collect in the tube, because the bottom is open except for the screw spanning the bottom.
There is a horizontal board in front of the rack with holes to accept the stem of tool rests, Morse taper adapters and such.
Harvey

Kyle Iwamoto
09-03-2010, 1:59 PM
I made a tool bucket, with a 5 gal paint bucket, and several 1.5" PVC pipe sections. I put a cap on one end, and a coupler on the other. The cap is to keep the tool from punching out the bottom of the bucket, and the couplers are to keep the pipes separated at the top. Fill in the viods with expanding foam. A crumpled paper helps keep the tips from getting dulled as they go into the PVC. Although I think the PVC won't realy hurt the tools. Since everything in my "shop" has to move, this is a good portable option, for those that lack a real shop where you can mount things on a wall. It's also handy for taking tools on a demo trip. The reason I know this in my 2 lathes are in front and in back of my house, and I have to tote tools back and forth. I really have no "Demo" skills.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 2:32 PM
"...The rack is pieces of PVC tube..."

I just might steal this idea. It looks like it would be perfect for a simple "free standing" design. Plus it looks scary as hell with all that sharp stuff sticking up!

Ken Garlock
09-03-2010, 2:36 PM
My lathe tools are mostly all piled up on my workbench so I really need a rack of some kind. My problem is that, because my shop is in a tent, there is no way to mount a rack on the wall. So mine is going to have to be free standing....

Hi David.

For a lathe tool rack I copied one I saw in a magazine. All you need is a rack made like Scott's above. Then you go one step farther. Cut a piece of ply that will slide in the 'way' of lathe. Take a look at how your tail stock is secured. Drill a hole in the center of the ply and up through the bottom the the rack . Slide a flange bolt through the two holes, put a knob on the end, slide the ply and flange bolt under the lathe way slot and tighten the bolt.
You now a a rack the you can slide around the end of your lathe, behind the tail stock.

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 4:30 PM
Ron, here is a .pdf that I made from info provided by other creekers responding to the same question. This is pretty typical, but I like Scott's additional shelf addition.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-03-2010, 4:37 PM
Hey Ken, no pictures, you dont have a tool rack.My mustard-seed sized imagination cant conjure up what you are saying. Max

Matt Ranum
09-03-2010, 5:22 PM
A timely topic. I have an old kitchen cabinet on the wall over my lathe area. Shorter recessed cabinets that would be above where a sink would be is where I was planning on putting my tools but I would be restricted on lifting them straight up, so this style rack looks like it would fit the bill nicely for me too.

I also considered going with magnetic strips on the wall instead of a rack. Are there drawbacks to using magnetic strips to hold gouges?

Rich Aldrich
09-03-2010, 5:50 PM
Check out this post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1394339&page=2

The attachement is a drawing of the tool racks that I made.

Rob Cunningham
09-03-2010, 6:00 PM
I just completed this tool rack last week. I based it on the one I saw on The Woodturning Workshop. At 48" across it does take up a bit of wall space:( but I was tired of walking across the shop for tools.

Ken Garlock
09-03-2010, 6:01 PM
Hey Ken, no pictures, you dont have a tool rack.My mustard-seed sized imagination cant conjure up what you are saying. Max

Harvey, it seemed clear to me (until I read it again.)

OK here are some pix I took a few minutes ago.

First is the Nova DVR lathe, and cabinet I built last year.

The remaining pics are: 1. the rack, 2 the mounting clamp, and 3 a closeup of the mounting clamp.

Mike Stephens
09-03-2010, 6:11 PM
Lolly column rotating tool holder.

And some more tool storage on the wall behind the lathe. Nothing fancy. Just some scraps.

James Combs
09-03-2010, 7:02 PM
Ron, here is a .pdf that I made from info provided by other creekers responding to the same question. This is pretty typical, but I like Scott's additional shelf addition.

I built the same but I like the additional shelf as on Scott's. The next iteration which will be soon will have the shelf.

One minor problem I have with mine (Scott's w/o the shelf) is that chips collect on the horizontal surfaces behind the tools and can't be cleaned off short of blasting them with an air hose or removing all the tools. I think I will angle the middle holders to the same angle as the bottom holder to shed the chips.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2010, 7:24 PM
I built 2 similar to Scott's except mine are mounted on a rolling cart that contains the rest of my turning tools.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 8:54 PM
"...mine are mounted on a rolling cart..."

Any chance of seeing a pic of what you have there Ken? I'm pretty much needing to go the cart route myself and I would welcome seeing any ideas that have worked out.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2010, 9:37 PM
David,

Check the rolling cart and the turning tools rack in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143611

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 9:45 PM
"Check...the turning tools rack..."

Now that's nice. I could have some drawers too... can never have too many drawers!

Chris Colman
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Looking at the pictures of your tool racks, you guys must have OCD. How do you keep your shop so clean????

Dirk Hoogendoorn
09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
For me the wall rack works just for storage because once I am working on the lathe I use a board that I have attached between the lathe ways and store the chisels and other lathe accessories that I require close at hand

Dirk Hoogendoorn
09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I sure do not know about the rest of the guys and I also do not know what OCD stands for other than it must be we are really neat freaks, let me just set the record a little straighter. That little yellow curly thingy in one of my earlier pictures-----. That little air hose helps me greatly to get the dust and shavings out of the camera view finder and as a result I can fool a lot of people about my neatness (my wife excepted). Have a great day, Dirk H

Art Kelly
09-04-2010, 3:04 PM
I also considered going with magnetic strips on the wall instead of a rack. Are there drawbacks to using magnetic strips to hold gouges?

I'd worry about magnetizing the tool, which then might hang onto filings from the grinder or the floor around the grinder...

William Hutchinson
09-04-2010, 3:24 PM
Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized intrusive thoughts that produce worrying, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors. Symptoms may include repetitive vacuuming; extensive wood hoarding; preoccupation with tools, aggressive sanding, or with particular vortex beliefs; aversion to pink lathes; and nervous habits, such as constant checking to see if the spindle is locked, checking chuck tension to ensure tightness, opening a door and closing it a certain number of times before one enters or leaves the shop. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their thoughts and subsequent actions as irrational, and they may become further distressed by this realization and often collude online in forums with like minded individuals in attempts to appear normal.

Jim Silva
09-04-2010, 5:27 PM
My rack isn't over the lathe but beside it. (Don't want to fumble a tool into a spinning piece.)

It's just built into a 4" partition wall, just a 2x4 deep on top, double depth in bottom cabinets. Slanted bottom under tools similar to what Scott and John K. did in their plans. Overhead are various templates, sanding discs, etc.

Jim

Roger Chandler
09-04-2010, 6:26 PM
For me the wall rack works just for storage because once I am working on the lathe I use a board that I have attached between the lathe ways and store the chisels and other lathe accessories that I require close at hand

Dirk,

Is that a Craftex 128 lathe in your picture? I have its cousin, the Grizzly G0698, and I love it! Great features on powerful lathe!

Art Kelly
09-04-2010, 9:23 PM
Looking at the pictures of your tool racks, you guys must have OCD. How do you keep your shop so clean????

Feel better now?

Ron Bontz
09-04-2010, 9:42 PM
I think this one has been covered before. Do a search. The only complaints I have with mine is I should have made it three layers instead of two. Good luck. by the way mine is full now.:)

Neil Strong
09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Saw an idea I've not seen before in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTZpgFljiMU) YouTube video. It can only been seen briefly as the video plays in fast forward mode. The relevant point in the video is at the 5min mark. There is one other brief glimpse of it a bit later. Looks like a spring loaded rack that pulls down to put tools in and out and then retracts up out of the way and doesn't fill with shavings.