PDA

View Full Version : Covered Dish on a Stump (Option)

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
This is another one that is lucky to be alive. When I was turning the bottom section of the bowl, there was one little "fat spot" on the inside that I needed to touch up. I went after it with a sharp round nose scraper. But I must have had a spasm or something at just the wrong moment because instead of just "sneaking up on it", I ended up hearing that skreetsplat sound that tells you you just gouged the wood. It wasn't too bad but it took a long time to get it evened out and cleaned up. The lid took three tries because the first two ended up a "skosh" too small. Third time was a "charm". Then when I was making the "stump" I pulled a "Keeton" and parted the top off by undercutting into the counterbore. The funny thing about that was that I didn't do it with a tool. I did it with 600 grit sandpaper!?!? Thought I had it done and then "blick" and off she came. It was a clean break though so I epoxied the ring onto the bottom of the bowl and then epoxied the stem back on. It came out very clean and, since I mixed a bit of walnut "flour" in with the epoxy, you can't even see it. Actually, those "too small" lids came in handy because one of them made an almost perfect chuck to hold the bowl centered and with the tailstock center keeping the bottom of the stump aligned, it came out straight and true. I'm not too sure about the "finial" on this. I was going more for a "knob" but I think the bottom bulb is too big. So anyway, here it is FWIW… another survivor.

Oh yeah… one more thing. I really like JK's idea of putting a penny in the picture to convey a sense of scale. But I didn't have a penny so I just had to use whatever I could find laying around…

Dennis Ford
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
That is very nice. The proportions look just right to me. I would like to know how you managed the color contrast (assuming it is some type of bleach treatment).

Rob Cunningham
09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Very nice David. I think it would look good filled with jellybeans:)
What type of wood is it?

Tony De Masi
09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Very nice work David. Kinda looks like "Saturn on a Steek".

Tony

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
A distinctive work for sure! Most lovely turning. Shows a lot of skill, especially with the difficulties mentioned. A really different kind of finial/decorative knob :confused: What does the author say it is?

David, this is just pretty in so many ways....... form, style, concept, wood and skill......all of it! I really like it. Wonderful pedestal, and nice recovery with the ring and epoxy. That took some imagination and creative thinking to come up with that solution. Turner's seem to be an inventive lot :)

The hits just keep a comin' ..........

Scott Hackler
09-03-2010, 12:51 PM
David,

This is a good looking turning. I would say that, from my perception, the peice looks better without the lid. With it I would have prefered if you would have stained the rim like the inside, to break apart the solid color. Great job.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
"What type of wood is it?"

It's maple burl w/ dyed walnut stump and knobby thing.

"...I would like to know how you managed the color contrast..."

The inside is dyed as are the stump and knobby thing.

charlie knighton
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
verry nice.....

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
"What type of wood is it?"

It's maple burl w/ dyed walnut stump and knobby thing.

"...I would like to know how you managed the color contrast..."

The inside is dyed as are the stump and knobby thing.

David,

really nice "knobby thing!" Oh, BTW, not a bad million dollar bill either!

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
"...I would have prefered if you would have stained the rim like the inside, to break apart the solid color..."

Some years ago, I built a kitchen out of natural finished ash that had interiors done in blue laminate. People always reacted with an "Oh wow..." when they opened a door or drawer. Later I did one with brushed metal faces and a salmon colored high gloss interior that had an "opening an oyster and finding a pearl" thing going on. I think I'm trying to get that kind of effect with some of these turnings but I have a ways to go yet...

bob svoboda
09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Great work David. I kind of agree with Scott re looking a bit better without the top, but am very impressed with the craftsmanship of the entire piece.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 1:24 PM
"...I kind of agree with Scott re looking a bit better without the top..."

Well that's the "neat" thing about it. You can take the top off! OK... I'm not going to tell you I planned it that way! Well I mean I did plan for the top to come off but... ahh... never mind:)

Stephen Walker
09-03-2010, 1:34 PM
Sticks...Steecks...now stumps. I'm waiting for the one on a pole!

Thomas Bennett
09-03-2010, 1:38 PM
Nice job David, as usual! The form kind of reminds e of a flying saucer on it’s docking port. I especially like the dyed interior. At first glance, I didn’t get it. I thought you constructed the inside out of walnut and somehow fitted it all together.
The $1,000,000.00 bill looks out of place, though, and you don’t really need it. Please send to me immediately.

gary Zimmel
09-03-2010, 2:46 PM
I would say it looks like a million bucks but to me that's wrinkled and green.
So we will say another sweet piece David....

David E Keller
09-03-2010, 3:01 PM
It's an interesting piece, David. The lid seems too tall for my tastes, but I love the idea of removing the top to reveal the coloring inside. It's beautiful wood, and your detail work is crisp. Thanks for posting this one.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 3:11 PM
"The lid seems too tall for my tastes..."

I was thinking more of a dome like those old covered cake dishes that were made of crystal. I think it would have worked better if I had not flared the bottom of the lid. Next time...

Wayne Hendrix
09-03-2010, 4:00 PM
I'm not too sure about the "finial" on this. I was going more for a "knob" but I think the bottom bulb is too big.

I think that if anything on the finial the bulb is ok and matches with the shape of the form but the saucer between the bulb and the tip looks out of place. Could just be me.

Very beautiful either way.

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 4:08 PM
David, lot of great tool control on this one! I like the rim detail, and the concept of the lid, though I wonder what it would do if one let the rim curve flow into the lid and end up with a much lower lid? Just thinking out loud...

Very nice work!!
...I pulled a "Keeton" and ......160235I have a whole list of endings to that phrase that I can let you borrow!!!:o:D

James Combs
09-03-2010, 4:21 PM
...I wonder what it would do if one let the rim curve flow into the lid and end up with a much lower lid? Just thinking out loud...

Like John notes in his post. I wonder what it would look like if the slight flare at the bottom of the lid was continued toward the center of the lid but not as a flare but as the curve of the lid it self.:confused:

Perhaps you could make a second lid and switch them every other day or so for effect.:rolleyes:

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 4:36 PM
"...I wonder what it would do if one let the rim curve flow into the lid and end up with a much lower lid..."

Well I do have those two "too small" lids I could experiment with. I'm still "on the fence" with this but my next effort is already on the lathe so this might have to wait a bit...

"I have a whole list of endings to that phrase that I can let you borrow..."

Know what you mean... Maybe we could compare notes some time.

"...you could make a second lid and switch them every other day..."

Great idea. That way I could confuse everyone even more...

Tom Sherman
09-03-2010, 5:26 PM
Very nice indeed

Michael James
09-03-2010, 6:03 PM
Well, you seem to have mastered this form... what's next?:D
And of course I think they are all the "nicest". Im not even gonna try a finial until 2011. I shredded a few 2x4''s with mr lacer pal the skew. Im giving us all a break for awhile!

Rich Aldrich
09-03-2010, 7:46 PM
Awsome piece. And I see you set the starting bid. Just found that million dollar bill laying around....nice touch.

Jim Burr
09-03-2010, 8:10 PM
Wow :eek:...so much to look at!. The base has great detail and finish to start. The "saucer" effect grabs you right off the bat and then a surprise on the inside! The finial could be more delicate, but then how would you open it! From show piece to "put-m&m's-in-me"...there is a lot to look at and enjoy! I have a great spot for that!!

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 8:19 PM
"...put-m&m's-in-me..."

That's what I'm talkin about! The purple ones...

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 9:14 PM
You guys have gotten me thinking and I have decided that I do like the lid but the finial is bugging the crap out of me. I really want to do this:

So far it's PhotoShop only but I'm sooooo tempted....

Tom Sherman
09-03-2010, 9:20 PM
I dunno EG I think this form is begging for a 'Steeker upper' of some kind.

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 9:33 PM
You guys have gotten me thinking and I have decided that I do like the lid but the finial is bugging the crap out of me. I really want to do this:

So far it's PhotoShop only but I'm sooooo tempted....

David,

I like this adjustment on the "knobby thingy" and think it looks better than your original, however, I do agree with Tom that this one is almost begging for a "finial thingy" or "steeek thingy" ;)

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 9:43 PM
"...this form is begging for a 'Steeker upper'..."

You may be right. It needs something for sure. Well, I'm going to Nevada tomorrow morning and not coming back till Tuesday so I have some time to ponder it....

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Really nice David. I like the second knob rather than the finial.