PDA

View Full Version : JET 1220VS vs. Delta 46-460

Rick Moyer
09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I apologize if a comparison has been posted already. I didn't find one. I MIGHT be getting a lathe in the future and wondered what your thoughts are comparing these two; they are about the same price. I know, it depends on what you want, budget, etc, etc. I have read other threads regarding get the best, biggest etc. Just looking for some reasonable comparisons and what features you can live with or can't live without in these two.

I THINK I may want to try making bowls at some point. BUT, the budget is not going to allow more than this price point, and I have no intention of trying to save more to get bigger,better. I know these can do pens,stoppers, etc. Are they adequate for smaller bowls?

Joseph Crivelli
09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Rick,

I've had the Jet JWL-1220vs for 1 year, as of yesterday. This lathe has done everything I've asked of it.

I've never used the Delta 46-460, but the many reviews of this lathe indicate that it's a well-built, excellent tool. Based on my meager experience, I don't see that the extra 1/4 HP is a critical factor and I can't really see the use of the reverse mode.

I'd advise that you actually see each machine. Then contact a local turners club or find a local user of each lathe from this board. See how each lathe feels to you.

Joe

Roger Chandler
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Rick,

The Delta 46-460 has variable speed. Reversing is a great thing for sanding, and the extra power will only serve your interests, and helps with rough turning which will sometimes bog down underpowered motors.

While I have a much larger lathe, all the folks who have one on this forum speak very highly of it, and some exceptional work has been created on this lathe, and you can get bed extensions, should you want to do long spindle work in the future.

Dennis Ford
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I think that you would be happy with either. I have a 1220 (non VS) and it is a nice machine, it would be better with more power and variable speed. Reverse is useful for sanding but not really necessary. I have not used the Delta but would choose it because of; good reviews, 1/2" larger swing, more power. You will certainly be able to turn bowls.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-03-2010, 4:18 PM
The Delta has better specs all around except for bed length I believe. I have the Delta and think it's a newer concept machine. It has a really clever belt change that is so much easier than my Jet mini. The motor feels very powerful too and so quiet I can almost hear the misquitos biting me when I turn. If the money was the same the Delta would be my choice here. But I do admit I'm slightly prejudiced here. :);)

Kyle Iwamoto
09-03-2010, 7:06 PM
I also think that you'll be okay with either one. I have a Jet 10" and both of those have what the 10" lacks. More power and more swing. I turn small bowls on the mini so you'll be able to turn bowls. I'm kinda partial to Jet.:) The Jet mini/midi have been around a while..... Time proven.
Reverse is handy for sanding. From what I hear. Don't have it, so I couldn't say for sure. Personally I think it's over-rated....:D
Remember to budget for tools and a sharpener....

Jon Behnke
09-03-2010, 8:23 PM
I have the Jet 1220 although non variable speed and I have turned on the Delta. Both are very good lathes, probably the best in their class, you wouldn't be disappointed with either. Of the two I would suggest the Delta, it's very nice to turn on, easy to change belt speeds, it has a nice stable stand and runs smooth. It also has a 1/2" more swing so you can turn a full 12" piece.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I have the Jet 1220 VS. I have turned several times on the Delta 46-460. If it had been out when I bought the 1220 I definitely would have went with the Delta. It has VS, reversing, more HP, and is a really smooth machine. You can't go wrong with either but the reverse is great for sanding. I have turned 12" bowls without a problem with no vibration if it is mounted solidly.

Rich Boehlke
09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Our club has a Delta and has run into issues with vibration due to the thinness of the headstock casting. It occurs when turning bowls mounted in a 4 jaw chuck. You will want to keep your bowls small with this lathe.

Rick Moyer
09-09-2010, 6:15 AM
[QUOTE=Rich Boehlke;1505205]Our club has a Delta and has run into issues with vibration due to the thinness of the headstock casting. It occurs when turning bowls mounted in a 4 jaw chuck. You will want to keep your bowls small with this lathe.[/QUOTE/]

Interesting. any thing able to be done about that? does it do it even if the lathe is secured down?

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2010, 3:30 PM
Rick I don't think you have to much to worry about. Jeff Nicol put a 12" X 8" thick piece on with no problems. I turned a 12" X 6 1/2" out of round piece on the one I used. Yea it is slower than a 1642 or a 3520B but it handled it well. The one I have used seems a little stouter than my Jet 1220.

Rick Hutcheson
09-09-2010, 3:59 PM
Our club has a Delta and has run into issues with vibration due to the thinness of the headstock casting. It occurs when turning bowls mounted in a 4 jaw chuck. You will want to keep your bowls small with this lathe.

Is this the Delta 460 or one of the smaller ones. I have used too Mcnaughten for over 200 cores on my 460 and not had any problems. I have rough turned 12" x 8" blanks with no problems.