PDA

View Full Version : Free wood? or free water

Robert Grady
12-13-2004, 8:07 PM
Friend of mine cut down a willow tree this weekend and asked if I wanted any. Tried turning a piece of it tonight...has anyone ever tried to turn this stuff. Thought my roof had sprung a leak till I realized it ain't rainin outside. Dang, this stuff must be 75% water. Was slingin water everywhere. Front of my shgirt is drenched. But man can you throw some curls with it. Was havin fun anyway till I looked over and saw the 1" layer of curls on the table saw(insert primal scream here). Composed myself and got it claned off and dried. Does willow dry out without to many cracks? This was some of the prettiest pink wood I have ever seen. I was going to cut into blanks and let it dry for a few months. Am I wasting my time?

John Shuk
12-13-2004, 10:14 PM
I saw a gorgeous piece turned from willow at a symposium recently. I can't tell you too much about it except that it looked kinda like maple but very light. Not a waste if you ask me. I have a couple of burls in my basement waiting for my skills to improve. Anchorseal and they look fine after a year or so.

Dave Smith
12-14-2004, 2:19 AM
I took a shower turning dawn redwood. I have not had the chance to turn willow yet. Most fresh cut wood will make you reach for a towel but some will make you look for a snorkel to keep from drowning.

I am prejudice but you may want to try drying the bowls using the alcohol soaking method. I can't give you any links in this message for fear of giving away state secretes. You can go to my website for links to threads and an article describing the process. My website is listed in my profile or just replace davesmith@ in my email address with www.

I had heard the willow is pink when fresh and turns a light brown when dry. Good luck.

Dave Smith

Recruiting bowl picklers in Longview, WA.

Robert Grady
12-14-2004, 6:16 PM
Thanks Dave & John, I thought about doing the alchohol drying today. Will probably turn one this weekend and try it. Cut the rest into blanks and see how they dry.