PDA

View Full Version : Come and cut it up...AGAIN!!!

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 7:25 AM
Well, last time I did this (a couple weeks ago), Tony bit, came over, cut up a bunch of my chunks of wood, and left with a pretty nice stash. So, I thought I would do it again...with a twist.

Here's the deal. I took some poplar logs to my local sawyer, less than 10 minutes from my house. (Side note: I wasnt' trying to make money so much as this thing fell across one of my paths, was in the way, and I'd rather it get actually used than just pushed to the side and rot. And I don't burn poplar...) He really didn't have a need for it, but after measuring it and doing some calculations, offered me $50 for it. Fine with me. I had him do a $10 job for me, so I was left with $40 that was coming my way. OR he offered to trade me this 5-6 foot 24-36 wide log of WALNUT!!!!!!! It has a crotch and he really isn't interested in sawing it up for lumber...hence the trade to cut it up for turning.

So, there are a couple of options. Either, we (anyone who wants to come) go to the sawyer's mill and cut it up there (if he'll let us) or I can bring it home and we can cut it up here.

There is WAY more walnut here than I could EVER turn. I'm happy to share it with as many people as we can muster. PM me, or post here with your thoughts. Tony and Joe, wanna come back?

Sorry about the pics. I took them with my cell phone while standing over the log.

John Keeton
09-03-2010, 7:46 AM
That sucker is gonna have some nice figure!!!:D:D

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 7:52 AM
I...figure...it will, too! :D

So, worth the drive for ya...hehehehehe

Tony De Masi
09-03-2010, 9:39 AM
Hey Mike,

Although you may think it's more than you will every use it's probably not. You could just keep it as is and just cut it up as you need it keeping the fresh cut ends sealed. Antoher option, if you would like to keep this stuff away from your horses, would be to bring it here and we could cut it up and we could also get it some practice on the lathe for you. Lunch would be provided of course.

Tony

Sean Hughto
09-03-2010, 9:59 AM
Why do you think you couldn't easily use it up? If you were making large bowls, that's maybe 6 or 8 blanks, plus a similar number of large vase shaped blanks (and, of course, lots of odds and ends for small stuff). I'll admit that if we're talking about pens, it's a lifetime supply. I guess it just depends what you like to make and what your swing is. ;-)

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Sean, 12" maximum bowls. And the other thing is that while I LOVE walnut, it is deadly to horses. So, it is not something I will be able to work often. I also have access to a boat load of wood.

I'm just trying to spread the good fortune around, and have fun with other Creekers. I may have to take Tony up on his offer, but I'd rather not have to pull that on my 20' flatbed a little over an hour. Will if I have too, though...

Tony, I got my lathe together and am itching to try it out. I'll post pics of it a little later.

Tony De Masi
09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike, your sawyer should be able to put that log in the back of your truck, no? We can take it from there if you decide to come here.

Tony

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Hmmmm. Didn't think about it like that. If I don't get enough response from this, I might have to do that.

I have to admit, I do find it funny that I'm offering up some nice walnut and (hopefully) good company and fun, and the responses I'm getting is not to share and horde it. :confused:

Heck, Sean is maybe an hour away from me.

Sean Hughto
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
I didn't mean to suggest that you should horde it. I just was struck by the idea that it was a lifetime supply that one could never use up. I'm in a big bowl phase, and so I guess that's why.

I have a Stihl pro with an 18" bar ...

Fred Perreault
09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Mike,
Mike, I live on Cape Cod, MA. and I would travel for walnut. I have red cedar, black locust, red oak, white oak, black cherry, ash, lowland cedar, hemlock and red maple. If any of this interests you, I would make a trade...?
Fred

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Ya'll just don't get it do ya? I'M NOT TRADING! I'm happy to split it up, free! Heck this log actually cost me $40. But, I'm not looking to recover that. Just want have a good time cutting up (wood and chatting).

Fred, that would be a heck of a haul. Probably 10 hours I would guess? Sure you want to come that far? Hey, if we're doing this at my sawyer's place, I would bet that he would have more walnut. I'd certainly be happy to check for you. Let me know.

And hey, if you are coming down form MA, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to to get Ken here...:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I've got a Stihl farm boss 20" bar. Hey, for a couple bucks, it may not be a stretch to get my sawyer to put it in his woodmiser.:rolleyes: Hmmm. Less waste, straight cuts...

Either way, I'm sure we could get it done.

Fred Perreault
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Mike,
If there was a good chance that there would be even more walnut to make the trip worth while, well.... I am almost in the truck already...:) and maybe the sawyer wants something for trade. I'd bring something down, and take something back. And bring my Stihl 290.18" with me. A road trip always breaks the monotony.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I wish I lived closer but I really could not be much farther from Maryland without falling into the ocean! I would love to help you whack up that walnut burl!!!

Tony De Masi
09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Mike,

Maybe sounds like a day at your place with me and Sean? Three Stihls would make quick and easy work too. Just sayin.

Tony

Mike Cruz
09-03-2010, 4:09 PM
Okay, I just talked to the sawyer, and he's okay with us cuttin' it up on his property. So, we're good there.

Now, that said, we have one more option. If we want to, we could cut the log into whatever lengths we want (20" or whatever) and the sawyer can then cut the segments for us. The way I see it, his cuts will waste less wood and will be pretty flat (or at least way flatter than a chainsaw cut). He charges $30 per hour, so we can divvy that up amongst us. I would imagine it would take him 1/2 hour to 1 hour. So, for 4 of us, that comes to $7.50 to $15 each for his services. Up to you guys whether you want him to cut the chunks up after we section it, or whether we should do it ourselves.

Fred, I mentioned to the sawyer that you would be coming from a distance and that you might be interested in taking more than some blanks home. He doesn't really have any uncut walnut logs around, but he does have walnut already cut up and dried (I assume air dried) in 2" thick slabs 6-8 feet long. He said he also has some 3-4" thick walnut, but isn't too sure how much. As for his prices, I think he is quite reasonable, but if you need to know exactly what he wants, I'd be happy to ask him. As for trade, I don't know that he "needs" anything. IF he traded, I would imagine that it would be for larger amounts, not smaller quantities. This isn't your typical major saw mill with outragous quanities and varieties of wood. Yes, he has cherry, maple, poplar, pine, walnut, sycamore and others, but you won't find exotics. Usually, when I ask to bring him stuff, he will say yes if he has a client that could use it, or he knows he can find a home for it.

Fred, also, when would be good for you? My next three weekends are quite booked. During the week (Monday, Wednesday, or Friday) might be a good bet. I think Tony is also booked for the next couple of weekends, so during the week would be good for him as well.

Sean, what about you?

Fred Perreault
09-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I have messaged Mike to tell him that I will not be able to make it to his place to scoff some of his walnut. I am working some angles locally for some walnut, and will wait and see what happens. Sounds like Mikey is offering a great opportunity.... I hope someone can take him up on it. :)

Mike Cruz
09-16-2010, 5:28 PM
In case you've been following this thread and wondered the results, I started a new thread about it here...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1514868#poststop