PDA

View Full Version : Donor Board Project Ideas

Chuck Patterson
09-02-2010, 9:34 PM
Hello everyone. I am researching a project for a local swimming pool that is wanting to build a donor board. They do not want to do the typical perpetual plaque thing and also want to avoid the expense of bronze or aluminum plaques. Donor bricks have been ruled out also. Plaques to be mounted either on to a cedar wall, a bamboo wall, or to drywall (none have been ruled out at this time). The project will be on going so the need to add names in the future needs to be considered.

Attached is a picture of a possible idea the committee is kicking around, however they are wanting to do a different variation using clear acrylic and mounting with gold standoffs. (see below for acrylic details)

There are 3 different levels of sponsorship, therefore three different sizes, and three different colors.
Acrylic details:
2-1/2 x 8 x 1/4 Clear acrylic, GREEN on one long side and 2 holes
4 x 8 x 1/4 Clear acrylic, BLUE on one long side and 2 holes
8 x 8 x 1/4 Clear acrylic, GOLD on one long side and 2 holes

The committee about fell over when I quoted them the price of the stand offs from Johnson Plastics. The only company I have to get stand offs is Johnson Plastics.
Question 1: Are there any other companies who sell stands offs that are are less expensive?

Prior to getting to involved in this project, I searched the forum for donor walls and received excellent advice regarding the bidding process, possible hurdles, and tribulations. Advice in regards to that part of the project have been addressed thanks to previous posts. I am looking for ideas and suggestions.
Question 2: Is anyone willing to share pictures and/or suggest alternate material ideas for donor walls that they have built or created over the years?

Thank you.

Dee Gallo
09-02-2010, 9:45 PM
How about doing something completely different than the typical donor board? I can see a mural background (pool/island/underwater - related) and the donors buying a piece shaped to represent things which might fit the theme such as life preservers, fish, starfish, coral, shells, etc. Different donor amounts could dictate which shape you get. These can be done in nice colors which would add to the decor of the area. I'm sorry, but the example you show looks like it belongs on a mausoleum.

If designed well, this could be a really nice piece without looking cheesy. It would be great to make in acrylic since it's waterproof and the shiny surface would be reflective like water.

Another idea, which is not as illustrative: make the donor pieces in a wave shape, which can use the colors and sizes specified and create a mosaic type affair where the pieces are designed to fit together (with a space around each one).

Either of these could also be done with ceramic tile and cermark which would look unique and beautiful. Tiles are made in lots of shapes and could also be made easily to spec. You would not need standoffs for tiles.

Just a couple of ideas, dee

Tom Bull
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
signstandoffs.com has standoffs for about $1.00 to 3.00 each, watch the pricing it is sets of 4.

What also works well for light weight objects is a long screw through an aluminum tube (you can polish it on a felt wheel, or texture it with a wire wheel) and use a screw cap.

Also check this out:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.wide.asp?ID=12868

Viktor Voroncov
09-03-2010, 3:30 AM
Idea of Dee looks for me perfect!!

Mark Winlund
09-03-2010, 9:39 AM
Sounds like they don't want to spend anything.... how about post-it notes on a piece of cardboard? This job has all of the earmarks of a money loser.

Mark

Dee Gallo
09-03-2010, 9:43 AM
Another idea: make a giant puzzle with the different colors and maybe larger pieces for the various donor levels. You could make the pieces the shape of a fish or something (see M.C. Escher for examples)... it's not too hard to do.

:) dee

Martin Boekers
09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
signstandoffs.com has standoffs for about $1.00 to 3.00 each, watch the pricing it is sets of 4.

What also works well for light weight objects is a long screw through an aluminum tube (you can polish it on a felt wheel, or texture it with a wire wheel) and use a screw cap.

Also check this out:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.wide.asp?ID=12868

Thanks Tom!
I have been for something like this for quite awhile. Regular standoff
are incredibly over priced.

Marty

Martin Boekers
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
If you want to stay with acrylic check these guys out as the have quite a cool
selection and many styles.

http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/product-groups-l07erizon33.html

Also, what might be interesting is the new Acryliprint
acrylic where they can print photographic images on the backside.
You could print a light blue wavy water image on it the reverse engrave and fill.

http://www.acryliprint.com/

You might check with Mike Null on this because I know he has seen it and I believe
someone
here at SMC is doing it. I'm not sure how large an area they can do so you may be
able to buy sheets of it printed and vector cut to size.

Conde sells glass tiles that can be dye subed which turn out pretty nice also,
just not sure on the longevity though.

Marty

Mike Null
09-04-2010, 8:35 AM
You should advise your committee that the wall on which the plaques are to be mounted needs to be maintenance free. If not then you will have to remove or paint around the plaques.

Your alternative is to mount them on a panel which also has some limitations.

I don't think a good cheap way to do this exists.

I would consider stainless steel plates with Cermark mounted with screws.

AL Ursich
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
A Tree Like structure with water drop Sublimated Blue Water color pieces with the name hanging from the tree....

Did this Rail Road Member board....

AL