PDA

View Full Version : Brad Nailer

Ron McNeil
04-06-2003, 12:49 PM
G5781
Magnum Brad Nailer

We've turned dozens of softwood and hardwood boards into pincushions trying to get this premium brad nailer to jam. But it hasn't. the Magnum Brad Nailer accepts 16 ga. brads in 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" lengths and operates on 70-120 P.S.I. Weighs 5.90 lbs.
Our guns are constructed using quality materials and proven manufacturing methods and they undergo strict quality control testing at the factory. This helps ensure that your pneumatic gun has a long, trouble-free life. Our nail guns also feature safety triggers that prevent accidental firing.

Reg. $169.95 Now 69.95

G1861
Super Brad Nailer - Red

This best all-around finishing gun is a super-nailer that shoots brad nails from 5/8" up to 1-9/16" long. It measures 2-3/8" wide, 8-7/8" high and 12-3/16" long and weighs only 3.3 lbs. Takes 150 18-gauge nails.
Our guns are constructed using quality materials and proven manufacturing methods and they undergo strict quality control testing at the factory. This helps ensure that your pneumatic gun has a long, trouble-free life. Our nail guns also feature safety triggers that prevent accidental firing.

Reg. $79.95 Now 39.95

I just purchased a 6H.P. 30 gallon Craftmans air compressor. I want to purchase one of these two Brad nailers. I really do not know which one I would be better off buying. For all around use would the experts at Sawmill Creek please guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Stan Smith
04-06-2003, 3:58 PM
I've never heard of that brand so cannot be of much help. I have a PC brad and PC finishing nailers and have been very impressed with both.

Bob Boake
04-06-2003, 5:05 PM
I have the 18 gauge red brad nailer. gets shop use to attach small pcs of trim. Won't split wood, very precise, a smaller gun that will fit inside tight spaces. Not a lot of holding power, but nails don't hold well anyway. If you really want to keep things together most people use screws anyway.

The 16 gauge is a more commonly referred to as a trim or finish nailer. Used more for interior trim carpentry(crown molding, baseboards, wainscotting etc). Same type of gun as a brad nailer, just shoots a thicker nail up to 2 1/2" long

The 1/4 stapler has better holding power than nailers because the staples spread apart when the are driven into the wood. More staplers are in use in commercial ww shops than nailers.

Not an expert but if you are going to do any remodeling with the gun then go with then 16 gauge. If you were going to use on shop projects you might consider getting both the stapler and brad nailer for the same money as the 16 gauge. Or buy all three.

Bill Esposito
04-06-2003, 8:56 PM
Ron,

I had to make the same decision a few weeks ago. Being new to air guns I didnt know which way to go. Everyone talks about the 18ga guns but that pin is very small and doesnt really hold very well. I spoke to a few people and found that most used 15ga guns for their cabinet carcases and for household trim etc. I also found that most like to have a stapler.

I settled on the Airy combo kit which includes an 18ga nailer and a 1/4" stapler ($99 shipped at Amazon) and a 15ga angled nailer I got off Ebay for $79. I'm pretty happy with the guns as well.
http://cerealport.net/woodworking/nailers1.jpg

Ted Shrader
04-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Ron -

As Bob said, the 16 gage is for trim work - really a finish nailer, the 18 gage brad nailer would be useful in the shop. However, when shooting 18g brads, you can't reliably use a brad longer than about 1½". The longer ones tend to change directions in the wood and may pop out exactly where they will look the worst.

My recommendation is buy either the 18g brad nailer or a 15g finish nailer now depending on what your immediate need is. Get the other one later.

I have the PC 1¼' brad nailer, 15g angled finish nailer (gets in corners better) and a narrow crown stapler. All get used.

Ted

Ron McNeil
04-07-2003, 7:31 PM
Stan, Bob, Bill and Ted thanks so much for your input on my Brad Nailer question. I think I will go with a 18 Ga Brad Nailer and a 1/4 stapler and later get a 15 ga finish nailer. However, I have decided to not go with Grizzly. I will look at P.C and Senco.

P.S. I've got a lot to learn but at Sawmill Creek there is a lot to be learned. Thanks

Paul Kunkel
04-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Ted Shrader
Ron -

As Bob said, the 16 gage is for trim work - really a finish nailer, the 18 gage brad nailer would be useful in the shop. However, when shooting 18g brads, you can't reliably use a brad longer than about 11/2". The longer ones tend to change directions in the wood and may pop out exactly where they will look the worst.

My recommendation is buy either the 18g brad nailer or a 15g finish nailer now depending on what your immediate need is. Get the other one later.

I have the PC 11/4' brad nailer, 15g angled finish nailer (gets in corners better) and a narrow crown stapler. All get used.

Ted Sure the 15g have more holding power, but if all you need is to tack in place until the glue sets, use an 18g. I'll use up to 2" 18g nails to tack a FF but if you'll notice which way the chisel tip of the nail faces and line that up with the narrow edge you're nailing into, you'll eliminate the blowouts. It's all in how you orient the gun. Of course, having a good perspective of the line and keeping the gun 'perpendictular' :D to the work helps too.

jack duren
04-07-2003, 10:41 PM
for the 18 guage brad gun, pc and senco are pretty common. but on the staple side of 1/4 guns look for a senco. you might try ebay for the sencos....jack