PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Tent Sales? Worth while?

Bryan Rocker
09-02-2010, 5:34 PM
Good afternoon all,

I recieved your typical email the other day listing the next Grizzly 1 day tent sale 25 Sept. My question is this. How long of a drive would you make to get to it???? My LOML is interested in going to it but its about an 8 hour drive away........

Any actual experiences would be helpful here......:D

Jacob Mac
09-02-2010, 5:41 PM
IME, if you go, you better be there at the opening. The really good deals go pretty quick. But I think they are fun to go to. And you never know what you are going to find.

I travel from Topeka, KS to Springfield, MO to attend the sale, and I have never regretted it, even if I do not buy anything. But I also stop and see my parents and extended family. So it is always a fun trip.

Dan Hintz
09-02-2010, 7:24 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, just passing along the following comment from Shiraz (works for Grizzly) in the recent "Banned by Grizzly" thread (where someone returned a jointer after it failed to work reliably, even after replacement parts were installed):

We paid for freight both ways, had a used jointer on our hands that probably sold for a fraction of our cost at a tent sale.

It probably wouldn't stop me unless they had a "no returns" policy for items sold there, but it's something to be aware of. The item you pick up could be someone else's lemon...

David Weaver
09-02-2010, 9:17 PM
Good afternoon all,

I recieved your typical email the other day listing the next Grizzly 1 day tent sale 25 Sept. My question is this. How long of a drive would you make to get to it???? My LOML is interested in going to it but its about an 8 hour drive away........

I live a lot less far away and I'm frequently closer when visiting relatives. I've never been to a tent sale.

Even if the stuff is 2/3rds sticker and it's blem, why let that dictate what you get? Buying clearance items and seconds can sometimes be a good way to find out you'd wished you bought what you wanted the first time instead of what was on sale. On top of that, you'd put 600 miles on your car, which has a real cost of $250 or so when you figure what it costs to buy a car and maintain it.

If you do decide to go, anyway, from the reports that have been on here before about how fast things go, you'd better check the pennsylvania hunter's guide and see what time deer season open. Even though it's not related to the grizzly sale, I'd say that's probably about a good time of the morning to get there (before there's light).

Chuck Saunders
09-03-2010, 8:33 AM
I think all sales are final. All are sold as is. These are not scratch and dent, they are broken. The repairs may cost the same as new or more.

I have gone the last 3 years (KC to Springfield).
I will go next year.
I have done well and enjoy working on the machinery.
Grizzly has the parts in stock (usually)
Their customer service is top notch in my experience.
The best buys come from getting equipment where some of the bells and whistles are broken/missing and you didn't need them anyway.
Early is when it happens

Gary Herrmann
09-03-2010, 9:45 AM
Never been, but I'd like to go at some point.

Didn't somone here pick up a 16" jointer for a ridiculously good price?

Paul Johnstone
09-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Good afternoon all,

I think if you went there with a specific goal in mind (like "bigger jointer") it would be more helpful.. From what I have read in the past, it's a mad rush, and you really only have time to go to one area to get the best deals. It would probably be a fun experience to witness, if nothing else.