PDA

View Full Version : Slate & adhesive

Jay Jolliffe
09-02-2010, 1:20 PM
I'm a caretaker for a house that has a slate roof system called Nu Loc. I need to find something that can bond slate to slate. Something that will hold up to wind off the ocean & the high temp of the roof. In Maine it doesn't really get that hot except for this week is unusual. It's to be used on some slates in the valley's, ridge, & hips......It has to be from experience & NOT from advertisement....something that you might of used for slate or stone. It was suggested 3M 5200.....3M doesn't suggest it for stone. PL Premium Advanced seems to be the closest so far & is rated for slate but not high heat....Any help on this would be appreciated.

Jay Jolliffe
09-03-2010, 1:04 PM
You mean to tell me that all the info that passes through the is forum there is not one person that can answer this :mad:

Kenneth Hertzog
09-03-2010, 1:27 PM
Jay
I've been playing with slate for years
I can't say at anytime have I ever needed to glue it together.
and I've never heard or had anyone ask how to till now.
I've been reading your post and feel you have a good question.
as flakey as slate is I'm not sure any glue would hold.
at least that is the type of slate I've worked with.
sorry for the no advice.
ken

Prashun Patel
09-03-2010, 1:31 PM
Jay,
I suggest you ask this question on the John Bridge tile forum. I'm sure a lot of those guys have good experience using this material. They're about as friendly and certainly as knowledgeable on their subject as the folks here. Lots of pros.

Anyway, my instinct (I'm not a pro) is that you should be using some type of modified thinset mortar for bonding porous stone.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SettingMaterialsDIY/

It's certainly what you'd use if you were tiling a steam shower ceiling, so perhaps it's appropriate for a roof too?

- prashun

Jay Jolliffe
09-03-2010, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the answers...:)

Bill Rogers
09-03-2010, 7:09 PM
Jay,

Back before the economy went into the tank I "was" a roofing contractor. Now I just go to the office of a roofing contractor 5 days a week!!
Anyways, this stuff works great on concrete tiles, which we used to use a lot of in South Florida, and its product data sheet states that it can be used on slate. When I used to need small quantites of RT-600 I would buy it at HD.
I have seen concrete tiles that were repaired with this material break at a point other than the repaired area. In other words, the RT-600 is stronger than the concrete tile itself.

Bill
http://www.osipro.com/products.pl?id=RT-600