PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vase

Rob Cunningham
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Here's a walnut vase that I turned end grain from a small log. I thought the contrast of heartwood and sap wood looked kinda cool. It is 9" tall and 4 1/4" at the largest diameter. The wall thickness is 1/4" and I finished it with Antique Oil. All comments are welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
09-02-2010, 1:00 PM
Looks pretty good Rob! I do like the contrast in wood colors! Very nice finish as well! Thanks for sharing!

Ken Glass
09-02-2010, 1:17 PM
Rob,
I Love the contrast that end Grain Walnut forms have. Well Done and great form and proportion.

John Keeton
09-02-2010, 1:48 PM
Rob, not only does the sapwood contrast add interest, so does that knot - lot of neat character to this piece, and it is beautifully finished, as well.

steven carter
09-02-2010, 1:53 PM
Rob,

Very nice vase. The sap wood/heart wood contrast is excellent, as is the finish.

Steve

gary Zimmel
09-02-2010, 1:59 PM
Well done on the vase Rob. Great contrast with the sapwood.

John Hart
09-02-2010, 1:59 PM
What gets me is that for the life of me, I can't figure out how you oriented the wood! How do you get sapwood in the middle.

I gotta think more.

By the way....Nice Vase. A 1/4 wall on a vase just plain feels good. I like the style of the mouth...although I wonder if the lip could be a teensy bit thinner.

Nit pickin'. :rolleyes: Nice work Rob.:)

charlie knighton
09-02-2010, 5:20 PM
very nice, the piece was either a limb or a 4 - 6 inch trunck to get the sapwood that way, the pith is probably still in bottom or close to the bottom if he tilted the blank, again well done

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

David E Keller
09-02-2010, 5:24 PM
Pretty cool, Rob. I like the color variation and knots.

Michael James
09-02-2010, 7:07 PM
I'm a sucker for walnut and a nice finish. :cool: I think I need to get some of that antique oil..looked for it at a couple of places and didnt see it.
Thanks for posting.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Rob that is a beauty. That knot and sap wood really stand out nicely.

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Ditto what Hart said. "Think...think...think..."

William Hutchinson
09-03-2010, 6:20 AM
What gets me is that for the life of me, I can't figure out how you oriented the wood! How do you get sapwood in the middle.

I gotta think more.

He said he turned it endgrain, the sapwood is on the outside and as you turn it thinner the walnut is exposed.

John you have to start using water base lacquer the other stuff has glossed over your synapses. :eek:

Rob Cunningham
09-03-2010, 8:56 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.
John,
The vase was turned from a 6" dia. log that I mounted between centers, the pith running from headstock to tailstock.

Michael,
I searched around for a while and finally found Antique Oil at a Sears Hardware store.

Michael E. Thompson
09-03-2010, 9:01 AM
Gotta love walnut. Great looking piece, nice finish too.

John Hart
09-03-2010, 1:17 PM
He said he turned it endgrain, the sapwood is on the outside and as you turn it thinner the walnut is exposed.

John you have to start using water base lacquer the other stuff has glossed over your synapses. :eek:

Sheesh....yer right....too obvious.:o But, I fear you're wrong about one thing, William. It's been a week since my last wiff.

I'm thinking that.....um.....

......hmmm.

I was just thinking something.....:confused:

James Roberts
09-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Very nice Rob, I like the contrast of sap and heart wood myself.

Robert McGowen
09-04-2010, 3:46 PM
Nice work, Rob. Did you do anything special to the pith to keep it from cracking at the bottom?

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2010, 9:29 PM
Nice work, Rob. Did you do anything special to the pith to keep it from cracking at the bottom?

I rough turned it when it was green/wet and soaked it in DNA for 5 days. When it came out of the DNA I wrapped it in newspaper and let it dry for about 3 months. After unwrapping it, there were two small cracks in the bottom. I soaked the pith and the bottom with thin CA glue. It sat on a rack in the shop for a few more months before I had a chance to finish turn it. The cracks have not grown, but I did put a little more CA on them before finishing. Walnut is a pretty stable wood, so I think it will be okay.