PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate "Fried Food"?

Pat Germain
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
We've discussed previously the never-ending list of bizarre, fried festival foods. Well, stand by. This year has a new kid on the block. Fried beer!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/082610dnmetstatefair.8afa26cc.html

I heard an interview this morning with the creator. He said he tinkered with it for two years. His biggest problem was when you put liquid in hot oil, it tends to "explode". Well, yeah. FYI, his current dishes feature Guinness inside. (Must be 21 or older definitely applies.)

Jason Roehl
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Well, I tried the fried butter at the IN State Fair this year, and it was good, with a couple of caveats. I got an order of it as we were headed toward the exit. It was 4 fried pieces, each about the size of a golf ball, so I'm guessing each was made from about a fourth of a quarter stick of butter. We ended up stopping and sitting down to watch an event so I could eat them without getting them everywhere. Messy is an understatement. As such, I didn't let the kids try them, and the wife didn't want to. That meant I ate the whole order myself, which leads to caveat #2. Eating a whole order is not advisable. I felt fine despite what I had eaten up to that point, but I think the amount of fried butter I had did me in. I felt like garbage the rest of the evening and most of the next day. (Thankfully, I didn't have to relive/retaste what I had munched on at the State Fair).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the IN State Fair is dry (I don't recall seeing alcohol served anywhere), so I won't hold my breath that fried beer will make an appearance there. I would try it without hesitation. I'm almost always game to try new foods.

I definitely recommend the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger, though! :D

Chris Padilla
09-02-2010, 2:40 PM
Fried butter...ugh, my insides are spinning just thinking about it. However, fried bacon is something I still want to try! :D

Zach England
09-02-2010, 3:14 PM
I am waiting for fried green jello here in Utah.

Bruce Koch
09-02-2010, 4:47 PM
I heard they were serving camel on a stick at the Minnesota state fair. It was going to be available on Wed. "hump day". Sorry, I just had too.

Pat Germain
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I heard they were serving camel on a stick at the Minnesota state fair. It was going to be available on Wed. "hump day". Sorry, I just had too.

Must be a very big stick.

Zach England
09-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Camel kebabs are common street fare on the Arabian Peninsula and in northern Africa. I hear it is very fatty meat.

Brian Elfert
09-04-2010, 1:51 AM

The camel on a stick is no joke. For some reason it was only served Monday through this past Thursday. The fair is 12 days, but this vendor is only there for four days.

I've worked for the MN State Fair for 23 years now. I work off the main fairgrounds so I rarely eat fair food. When I do go in for food I can't stomach the high prices so I often leave without any food.