PDA

View Full Version : Locust Bowl

Mike Davis NC
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I pulled a log out of the firewood pile and made a wedding gift for a young friend that grew up visiting with my kids. I have a lot of standing dead locust and burn most of it in my wood stove.

This bowl is about 11 inches across, 5 deep and about 3/8 thick. The wood was very dry when I turned it so I oiled it on the lathe. I prefer to work this way. The log had some decay inside and I left part of that on the edge.

Roger Chandler
09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Mike,

Nice bowl! That is a much better use for that piece of locust than putting it in the wood stove, or fire place!

I really like the grain and the color on this one, nice work!

Aaron Wingert
09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice looking bowl. I like how you didn't try to hide the knot on the edge, as it gives the piece a lot of character. It is a fun wood to turn!

John Keeton
09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Mike, nicely done, and I admire you fortitude working with the locust! Hard as nails!

Steve Schlumpf
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Mike - I really like the grain on this bowl! I am sure that the gift will be very appreciated! Nice work!

Ken Glass
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike,
I like the inclusions on the edge. It gives it character. The wood grain is great. Nice work.

Cathy Schaewe
09-02-2010, 1:37 PM
Very, very nice piece. Beautiful wood!

Mike Davis NC
09-02-2010, 2:23 PM
Thanks everyone,

I just started back turning a few years ago and this was my third bowl since coming off a 25 year hiatus. Didn't have a shop all that time and only turned a few pieces since I got my lathe a few years ago. Too much other stuff going on to turn.

Maybe I should post pics of the others?

David E Keller
09-02-2010, 5:27 PM
That's really nice, Mike. It almost looks like osage to me. I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-02-2010, 5:48 PM
Mike,
I have a bunch of Black Locust I am turning green and it is hard as can be. I can only imagine how turning it dry it beat up you and your tools. You did a really nice job. I'm thrilled to see how nice locust can finish up. Great bowl.
fmr

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Mike that is a nice looking bowl. I will give it to you having the patience to finish it. Locust is a hard wood to turn dry IMHO. Well done.

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Beautiful! Whenever I see a bowl like this I start thinking popcorn!!!

Jon McElwain
09-03-2010, 2:21 AM
So what you are saying is that you gave your friend a piece of firewood for a wedding gift? ;)

But what a lovely piece of firewood it is! I like the rim - sturdy but not overly so, and the grain attracts the eye - lots to look at in this piece.

Mike Davis NC
09-04-2010, 4:22 PM
I try to make my bowls functional, too thin won't hold up to everyday use. I look at a lot of old pottery and try to match the thickness of those pieces.

Thanks for the compliments from such talented and experienced turners.