PDA

View Full Version : Shaper

Matthew Chamberlin
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/1930447813.html

What do you guys think? Will it meet my needs, and is that a fair price? I don't have much experince with shapers, but would love to add one to my shop!

John Shuk
09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
That seems to be a good price. I wouldn't mind getting that.

Jeff Monson
09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
That is a good shaper, I think the price is fair, I've seen them listed for a little less, but condition would be the a consideration. If its not too far away I'd suggest going to look at it, seeing if there are any extras...tooling, etc. and what the overall condition is. Maybe he will come down some also. I would not go below 3hp on a shaper though.

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Decent not great price but looks to be in good shape. Hard to say if it will meet your needs because we don't know what your needs are. In the end there is plenty of shaper there for most things. Be aware that shapers are just like routers, the initial cost is the least of it all. Tolling is more expensive than router tooling and you are going to was a good power feeder as well, so you need to keep that in mind regarding your budget. Also, I am sure you are aware that shapers don't work well with router bits EXCEPT the really large bits like panel raising bits, this is because most router bits are designed to run at much higher speeds than the normal 10K shaper speeds.

I am not saying it is a better option BUT Grizzly has their 3hp shaper on sale for $850, just food for thought.

Cary Falk
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Did these come with multiple spindle sizes? Does he have them? Just a thought. I have seen similar deals around here and decided to go with the Grizzly.

Richard McComas
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
If that was in in driving distance for me I's be on my way.

Matthew Chamberlin
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1503937]Hard to say if it will meet your needs because we don't know what your needs are.QUOTE]

ahh good point. The only plans i have are bead and cove work.

Chip Lindley
09-02-2010, 6:01 PM
If no 3/4" spindle is included, thats a huge minus! Finding a good one will cost you around $100 with a set of spacers. Even MORE if you choose to buy new from Delta!

Point out to the seller that a 1/2" spindle makes the 3hp machine quite deficient. Offer $650--$750 tops.

Peter Quinn
09-02-2010, 9:06 PM
If no 3/4" spindle is included, thats a huge minus! Finding a good one will cost you around $100 with a set of spacers. Even MORE if you choose to buy new from Delta!

Point out to the seller that a 1/2" spindle makes the 3hp machine quite deficient. Offer $650--$750 tops.

Ditto. No 3/4" spindle will cost you. If fact I'd want both the 1/2" and the 3/4" included or the price is too high. I have the same basic shaper in my shop, similar vintage, I paid about $700, mine had been used once. Still had the cosmoline on the table and plastic film on all the knobs! $850 is not the best I have seen nor the worst, its not unreasonable.

As far as that shaper goes its a nice medium sized work horse with lots of capability for the small shop. I have since found a 1 1/4" 5HP to be necessary for my work but have kept the 3HP delta as it is still very useful to me.

Matthew Chamberlin
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM

Great info. If he doesn't have 3/4 I'll go $725 tops. He hasn't called me back though. so it may not matter