PDA

View Full Version : The Wood Fairy has been here!

John Keeton
09-01-2010, 9:13 PM
This morning, I got a box from creeker Jerry Marcantel, and this was what was in it!
I wasn't here when the Fed Ex guy got the hernia and had to call in for backup:D:p, but let's just say this was one heavy box!! That is a big ol' mesquite stump, and I believe Jerry told me one of the pieces was ironwood - not sure of the other, but it is dense and nice! The two pieces of cholla are huge! Thanks, Jerry, for the sweetheart deal!

A couple of weeks ago, at the guild reception I had, a friend commented that he had some old, dry chunks of cherry he would give me. This guy makes furniture and longrifles, and knows wood. I went over this afternoon, and loaded up. This is the cherry - most of the large pieces are 14+" wide x 4-5" thick!!:eek:
And, this was the walnut - with a block of what I think is maple, though it doesn't look just right.
All of this stuff is bone dry! A little powder post in a couple of pieces, but I don't think it will have much impact on what I will do with it.
I made him take $50 for it - just didn't feel right taking it for free. Then he said he would save me up a bunch of stuff for free!:)

To top it off, my neighbor, from whom I had already gotten a bunch of green walnut, stopped me and said "didn't you want to look at one of those crotch pieces?" I thought he had forgotten - so I ran up to the house and got the Stihl, and this was what was inside.
All in all - a good day!

Roger Chandler
09-01-2010, 9:22 PM
Hey JK,

Not a bad day at all! Nice haul on both accounts. You have some really nice blanks there, and I am itching with anticipation to see what configurations and blends you put together for your next few projects.

that is a really nice walnut crotch piece! A platter of "Keeton" design would be a really interesting project. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall a platter in your postings since I have been on the forum, but it is just an idea.

Looking forward to what is coming up.................;)

David Christopher
09-01-2010, 9:26 PM
John, it looks like you are "set" for a little while

Steve Schlumpf
09-01-2010, 9:29 PM
Wow John... Congrats! Sure is a bunch of nice looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! Sure gives you lots of options!

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2010, 9:38 PM
That's fairy nice, John! Awesome stash. Love finding dry wood that is thick enough for turning. And the only thing better than finding dry wood that is thick enough for turning is getting it for free. I just picked up a bunch of nice dry burl slabs and blocks but they were not free!

William Hutchinson
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
What did you leave under your pillow to get that wonderful stack of timber? Nothing better that a pile of interesting wood and dreaming up ways to turn it into something beautiful. I'll be waiting to see what you do with the walnut and blocks of cherry.

David E Keller
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Good grief! That's an unbelievable haul. If there's a piece of ironwood in that stash from Jerry, you may have found a new favorite wood. If you like walnut, you'll love ironwood. I want to say 'you suck', but I'm not sure that even begins to express my jealousy.:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Congrats John on a great haul. That ought to keep ya out of the wife's hair a day or two.:D

Jerry Marcantel
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
John, Fed Ex lied to me. They said you would have it Tuesday. Ya just can't believe anybody anymore..... The Ironwood is at 9 o'clock in the picture. At 12 o'clock is a walnut burl... It's wild desert walnut, so it should be interesting... Kinda like opening up Christmas presents.... You don't know what's in til you open it....
Please wear a filter, not a dust mask, but a filter when working the iron wood... It'll kill you if you have weak lungs.... It should make nice finials.
David, now that I've scared John on the Ironwood, he just might have to give it to you for fear of working it.... I cut 2 pieces off so it would fit into the box, and Wow, it was gorgeous........ Jerry

Michael James
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Whachu gonna do with all that stuff, huh? That is a really nice assortment you have there. I haven't worked with ironwood but been to Mexico a bajillion times and like to snag little tourist goodies. They carve that a lot! Just remember what happened to Midas, so don't hoard.... share, John.....share the love.:cool:
Michael

Baxter Smith
09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Congrats! That is a great variety of dry wood. 14+ cherry doesn't fit a 12.5 swing. Guess you will be saving that for later.;):)

gary Zimmel
09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
A wood junkie always needs his quick fix....
Nice haul John. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of those chunks of wood.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
John,I just don't think it is fair that you get all the nice wood when there are turners dying out there, for some, while you are getting stuffed :mad:,

. :p :p :D

Oh yes you160145

Fred Perreault
09-02-2010, 6:10 AM
My, My.....
And the rich get richer.... :)

Tom Sherman
09-02-2010, 6:20 AM
Congratulations John, I'll bet there are more than a few hours of fun in all that.

Ray Bell
09-02-2010, 6:21 AM
Nice haul John. That should keep you busy through most of the upcoming winter.

Tony De Masi
09-02-2010, 6:46 AM
Very nice hauls there JK. I can't imagine how your mind is racing trying to figure out it's impending uses.

Tony

Mike Cruz
09-02-2010, 6:50 AM
Looks like you'll be busy for a while...

I'm also in awe because some of those pieces don't look like they would be turnale to my eye. Shows how much I know. :rolleyes: I'm sure you see multiples where I see nothing.

Jim Silva
09-02-2010, 7:39 AM
160158You mean this guy?

Mind the powder post holes... The residents of said holes were tough to evict from my shop. :mad:

John Keeton
09-02-2010, 7:49 AM
Looks like you'll be busy for a while...

I'm also in awe because some of those pieces don't look like they would be turnale to my eye. Shows how much I know. :rolleyes: I'm sure you see multiples where I see nothing.Mike, this stuff won't take much imagination. For the most part, I like figured wood, but the cherry chunks were too good to pass up. I will probably just bandsaw those pieces into rounds, and turn salad bowls from them. Some of the other cherry will become hollow forms, and again, just bandsaw them to shape, and stick them on the lathe. There are some pieces that beg for an endgrain turning, but I am not into the vase form much, so I am not sure what will become of those. They will have their day, I am sure!:)

160158Mind the powder post holes... The residents of said holes were tough to evict from my shop. :mad:Jim, unfortunately, they are everywhere! I have a barn full of wood, but most of it is oak and walnut, which they do not seem to care for. I do have some cherry, maple and poplar - and those must be watched. I try to avoid putting infested wood there, but that doesn't always work.

I really don't keep much wood in my shop, and I will process these pieces into turning blanks, and probably nuke them in hopes of killing anything inside.

Cathy Schaewe
09-02-2010, 8:13 AM
Almost makes me rethink the two boxes I have going JK's way! Lucky dog - ;)

steven carter
09-02-2010, 8:15 AM
John,

Congrats on the wood scores! So much to do and so little time in which to do it. Someone should warn the clerk of courts to expect a lot of motions for continuance:D.

Steve

Tim Rinehart
09-02-2010, 8:18 AM
I'm sure your mind is swimming with what to do with all that wood. I sometimes get stuck looking around at my wood stash trying to decide what to do next. Sometimes...that's all I do...just stand there and look around, then go back in the house and remember about that one piece of wood that is about to get too dry to do anything with...like a piece of NIP I was reminded of a few days ago from a posting.

Ok...rambling...have fun John! The walnut piece looks like a winner...I have a walnut crotch in my pile I should get too soon....oh oh...here I go again!

Allen Linton
09-02-2010, 9:23 AM
Being new to the turning hobby I have noticed that I am now the guy who will take your wood :); folks I really don't know that well have contacted me. I think some would just like the yard cleaned up, but most are really interested to see what I can do with it and offer the pieces that I deem worth turning. I look forward to having friends and sources like John's :rolleyes:.

Turning wood seems to bring out the best in folks...

Stephen Walker
09-02-2010, 9:23 AM
Always nice to get free wood (even though you paid for the first go round ((nice gesture on your part))) Managed to get you on your buddies list for more later.. WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlie knighton
09-02-2010, 1:27 PM
great gloat....

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2010, 2:03 PM
"I have a barn full of wood..."

Aha! That explains it. That barn full of wood is attracting more wood.

John Hart
09-02-2010, 2:05 PM
Almost makes me rethink the two boxes I have going JK's way! Lucky dog - ;)

Oh sheesh...yer kidding.:rolleyes:

That does it. I'm not sending Keeton anything this year.:p