PDA

View Full Version : Hi All! First post-First Gloat?

greg a bender
09-01-2010, 8:59 PM
Ok, where Do I start?

First off, I am the ‘other’ Greg Bender on this forum. (Hi Greg :))

A little introduction, may be in order.

Born in Ohio, grew up in Arizona, lived in Utah for long enough to meet and marry a wonderful Irish wife (there’s another story!). Moved to New Jersey, acquired an 1860 Victorian home with a small, cramped basement. In this basement I attempted to continue my woodworking. Just couldn’t do it. The house has 10’ ceilings, the basement has 5’ in between beams and support columns. Granted, I moved all my machines into said basement, but, really could not enjoy them. (Anyone on the East coast with an unfinished basement in an old house will understand). Then the rust started. Then the passion died. I moved on to computers.

Then, last year a freak storm rolled through here and destroyed our dirt floor, leaning, sucky, un-usable garage. This presented an oppertunity to rekindle my passion.

Fast forward 12 months. I / We now have a very solid workshop. (18 x 22). It’s now insulated and electrified and Internet ready.
I have been woodworking for over 50 years (I’m 59 2/3 now). Was producing some really nice stuff in my 30’s then life happened and I hung it up. Now this opportunity has presented itself and I am starting to embrace it, with a passion!

Since I’m outfitting a new shop, and my SO gave me Carte Blanche, (Yeah, see above;)).
I am now starting to outfit my new shop!

So, on with my little gloat,

I decided to fulfill a 35year old dream and get a new Delta Unisaw. (yes, I know, I know, a Griz or a SS or a …. would have been ‘better’, but, it was my dream)
So, here is part one:

Just semi-unpacked it. Awaiting the mobile base and out feed table (and the arrival of 3 strong friends to lift it!)

Much more to follow!!

Can I get a 'You Suck' from this??:p

(Sorry for the long rambling post, but, I'm really excited to be part of all this again!)

Greg A Bender

Mike Langford
09-01-2010, 9:20 PM

There!....Feel better? (I know I do! ;))

Welcome to the creek and welcome back to woodworking!

Great gloat on the Unisaw....let us all know how you like it once you get it up and running!

Also show us some pics of the new shop!! (we like pics...)

Paul McGaha
09-01-2010, 9:21 PM
Hello Greg,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Congratulations on the purchase of a new Unisaw and yes you suck.

:)

PHM

David Christopher
09-01-2010, 9:23 PM
congrats on the new uni Greg, if I was going to buy a new Tablesaw it would be a uni, but for now Ill keep my 58 uni

Jacob Mac
09-01-2010, 9:26 PM
Welcome, and welcome back. That is a beautiful TS, I probably would have gone with the SS, but to each their own. Looking forward to seeing some of your projects.

Dave Lehnert
09-01-2010, 9:32 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Cary Falk
09-01-2010, 9:52 PM
Congrats on aquiring your dream saw. I look foward to seeing more pictures and hearing you opinion on the saw.

Dave MacArthur
09-02-2010, 1:46 AM
Love to hear you got something you've dreamed about! That unisaw is really a great one, lots of recent good writeups on it.

Welcome, and YOU SUCK! ;)

Gordon Eyre
09-02-2010, 9:29 AM
Neat story Greg, always fun to see someone live their dream. I hear you about the rust problem in New Jersey as I live through two years fighting that problem as well. That is not something I have to worry about here in southern Utah.

Good luck as you continue to stock your new shop.

Sam Layton
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Greg,

Welcome to the Creek. Looks like you have a great saw. Whats next on the list???

Welcome, Sam

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Great saw, glad you got to make a dream come true!

YOU SUCK!

BTW get it up and running and give us a review.

Mike Cruz
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the Creek, and beautiful saw! Very glad to hear you are returning to your passion. Now, open up that wallet and get the rest of the toys you need. :)

Gene Waara
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm confused. I thought by SMC rules this was a "naner" rather than a "you suck"? Either way congrats and welcome back!

gary Zimmel
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek Greg...
Sweet choice getting the uni... Great gloat.

Chip Lindley
09-02-2010, 6:07 PM
Greg! Welcome to SMC! Yeah, you Sucketh! There's just something about a Unisaw!...any Unisaw!

Joe Shinall
09-02-2010, 7:57 PM
Congrats Greg. And you suck. I bought one about 3 years ago and love it. Not the new design like yours. Would love some pics of it assembled and a good review.

Bruce Page
09-02-2010, 8:04 PM
Greg, welcome to SMC. :cool:
I love your new Uni! If I were looking to buy another cabinet saw that'd be the first one I’d look at.

greg a bender
09-02-2010, 9:08 PM
Thanks all!

Now, I feel Welcome! :D

Still waiting on the mobile base, backordered twice now. I am dieing to set this thing up, but only want to lift and move once! (Only have some many friends and so much beer).

Now, to continue the Suck-a-thon theme:

160202 160203

Yep, it’s a brand new (well, duh), Grizzly G0513P 17” Band Saw, Just wanted to show it’s a tight fit into a standard Garage door.

Looks like I’ll have something to do this weekend! This will replace a 30 some year old ‘Pit Bull’ 14” band saw slowly rusting away in my basement.

It looks like next weekend will be the official ‘move in’ date. Got some friends lined up, lots of drinks, some moving straps and dollies. Lots of stuff to move out of the basement into the new shop!

Lots more to set up,more tools to buy and more pictures to come!

Greg A Bender