PDA

View Full Version : WW Design & Interior Decorating

John Stevens
12-13-2004, 4:09 PM
"Interior Decorating" has a pretty "un-manly" connotation, but IMO, Jim Becker's thread on the "mantle capper project" shows how furniture and finish-carpentry designs can depend a great deal on preferences in interior decoration.

A couple of months ago, I set out to read all I could on designing furniture, and in the process, it occurred to me that in order to design furniture that would look good in my home, I'd have to understand whatever principles govern home decorating. So I went to three local libraries, browsed all the interior decorating books, borrowed the best ones and read them cover-to-cover. I have to admit, I don't think I learned much, and unfortunately, I have no books to recommend. In all seriousness, the best one of the lot was "Interior Decorating for Dummies."

I'd like to hear others' opinions on this topic--how important is interior decoration to furniture design? Do you have a good book to recommend on the subject of interior decoration?

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 7:03 PM
Very good thread subject, John. Personally, I think that the setting for furniture needs to influence its design (and vice versa). If you buy furniture you would likely be trying to find something that fits into the style of the room/home it will be going as well as fill the functional need you have. The same needs to hold true when "you" are the manufacturer...you have the same responsibilities.

I'm going to use Mr. Singer and his work as an example because it's close at hand and in mind: Mark's current bed project as well as the bathroom cabinet project that proceeded it are good things to consider in this light. His property presents a very modern/contemporary/open setting and although you could likely enjoy any style of furniture in it (depending on your tastes...), the items that fill it, including the new ones, are comfortable and designed to be complimentary to the setting. It "works" in a way that is almost indescribable. Both the cabinet and the bed fill both the functional and style/design need presented by the space and other objects around them.

Interestingly enough, some of the same furniture that graces Mark's place would look very good in my home (his dining table/chairs and living room furniture) and some would not, even though I like them individually "a whole bunch" and in the setting the are now. (his master bedroom/bath/dressing setup are examples of that) One of the things that makes Mark such a good architect and woodworker is that he truly has an understanding of space and what each element contributes to it and takes away from it. His furniture reflects that understanding clearly.

The problem with "interior design" is that it can mean so many things from simple to complex. It's a very subjective thing, too...what I like may be very different from you.

But I do think it's important to learn some of the basics and the most important one is "don't over do it" and don't try and fit too much in the space available. The most outstanding interiors I've seen are almost sparse at first...untill you understand that the space between things is a very important element of the whole. (I can't wait to get rid of the clutter in that great room!!!) You don't need to go to school to learn these things, either--just become more observant and make a note of what you like and what you don't like. Ask yourself questions like , "Would I be comfortable spending a lot of time in this space?" "Do the individual elements of the room feel tied together or are they pushing apart?" "Is there a defined theme to the room (subtle or overt) or does it just seem thrown together?" "Does it draw you in or does it make you want to move on to the next room without stopping?" Etc.

Now, when woodworking is involved it's important to remember that what we create for our homes (or someone else's home) has got to be a suitable element for the space it will occupy. Some styles of furniture are more "universal" than others when fitting them into decorating styles--Shaker, some Mission/A&C/Tansu-inspired and more subtle forms of Queen Anne/Chippendale, etc., will fit well in many home environments; even intermixed tastefully. Others, such as the heavy and ornate Germanic styles don't blend as well with simpler forms...IMHO, of course. (That subjective thing...)

So that's a long-winded way of saying, "Yes it matters and learning a bit about the subject will help you create stuff that looks like it belongs in your home." :D

Mark Singer
12-13-2004, 8:50 PM
Jim,

Thank you for your compliments on my home. Your response was excellent and targets a key issue I have with many interior designers. For many interior design is applied as a pastiche without reason...it does not draw from the setting , the architecturre, the people or how they live. In one sad case the interior designer replace the real old family photos with stock ones she alredy had framed...True story!
You should never part with your identity, the way you live and your comfort in the home. Interior designers tend to consider if the wallpaper matches the bedspread...all of it is just frosting. Architecture can be a very real , and wonderful thing...it doesn't end on the outside ...great buildings tell one story inside and outside and that story relates to the features of the site, its orientation and the way people live. As Jim pointed out ...how will you use the room? If there is a great view ...don't hang a painting to compete with it...let it be the painting. Often interior designers want to propagate their signature style rather than want the homeowner really likes and needs. It is a selfish pursuit.
If the home ends up eclectic and you are sourounded with the things you love and your real family photos...this is home ...not some vison throgh the eyes of someone who does his thing and moves on..
These are general statements....as an Architect, I most often work without an interior designer....I have established a career of insisting on doing both and often designing the furniture rather than just pointing..."YES and 2 of those".:cool:
With a steady project list of very expensive ocean front homes I often work with interior designers....some are very sensitive and do not fit the sterotype I described...and if they are good the project can actually improve. Some clients have insisted on them and I have enjoyed doing homes with Barbara Barry , http://barbarabarry.com/
Waldo(Fernandez) (Like Sting ,...with one name you know $$$$:cool: Designed Elizabeth Taylor's and many stars) and numerous others...the really good ones are good! and $$$$
I still think the my best homes were done just with me,my staff and the client...they don't have that "Interior Designer " look;)

Glenn Clabo
12-14-2004, 8:45 AM
Great subject...and timely for me...

My wife and I met and married six years ago after many years of life and living in different places. She brought her experiences and style and I brought mine. I’m a simply constructed, warm, cozy Cape style guy who likes the as built originally design. She has more of an open contemporary taste. This created an interesting clash when I bought the old Cape Cod style home we live in just before we married because she's the decorator. To add to the interest we live in one of the most diverse places I’ve ever been…with the overly built Italian marble gaudy mansion monsters, to ocean view cliff side beauties, to farm houses in the middle of potato fields, to 200 year old colonials…to us in our eclectic 40 year old free style "affordable" neighborhood.

For the first few years there was a tug of styles going on…then it started to come together. The Cape Cod style of the house started to take over and we both went with the flow. Simple cherry cabinets and maple floors in the remodeled kitchen, rugs torn up to expose the old oak floors throughout the house, clapboard on front…shingles on the sides on the exterior, flat panel doors slowly being replaced with six panel… We are still trying to fix the old place up…and there’s still many things to do…but it’s becoming that warm and cozy place that it was meant to be.

The bottom line for us…don’t fight the overall architecture with the interior (or exterior for that matter) to impose your preconceived ideas. Go with the flow and it will reward you with a feeling of comfort and home.

Now…in the near future I’m going to blurt out our design problem in our "library" to this forum. It’s right off the kitchen (where we spend most of our waking hours) so we’d like to tie it into the simple Shaker cherry cabinets…but it’s small and has a cathedral ceiling. Then there is the… should it be built in…or furniture. It’s been killing me for over a year now and I need to get off the dime.

Mark Singer
12-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Great subject...and timely for me...

Now…in the near future I’m going to blurt out our design problem in our "library" to this forum. It’s right off the kitchen (where we spend most of our waking hours) so we’d like to tie it into the simple Shaker cherry cabinets…but it’s small and has a cathedral ceiling. Then there is the… should it be built in…or furniture. It’s been killing me for over a year now and I need to get off the dime.
Glenn , send us some pics and we will give you at lease $.02