PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Question

Dennis Putnam
09-01-2010, 5:47 PM
More years ago than I would like to admit, I used to buy something called lumber or solid core plywood. Today when I ask about it the sales people look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears. Is this no longer made or did they change the name?

Brett Nelson
09-01-2010, 6:08 PM
It still exists but you'll be hard pressed to find it. You are talking about what used to be the Cadillac of plywood. High grade veneer on each surface with solid lumber strips for a core (usually basswood).

Most people are using different construction techniques now. It was mainly used before when the edges were to be routed and left exposed. Mind if I ask what you intended to use it for. Maybe someone can offer an alternative.

Brett Nelson
09-01-2010, 6:18 PM
If you do manage to find it, something like that is going to cost you >$170 a sheet would be my guess. That would be for the good stuff with a soft maple or poplar fingerjoint core and A1 birch veneer. I know there are some places that sell it with a very low quality pine or spruce core for around $50/sheet, but that stuff is garbage.

Peter Quinn
09-01-2010, 8:21 PM
My local yard can order it from a regional plywood manufacturer/distributor. At least last time I asked they could, though I have never actually ordered or used it. When you say the sales people, who do you mean? Are you going to a good cabinet plywood/hardwood lumber seller? If so educate them and have them make a phone call about it. If not, go some where else.

Lee Schierer
09-02-2010, 8:27 AM
So what do lobsters in the ears feel like?? :D

I usually feel like I came from a foreign country or different planet when I ask those types of questions in todays stores. I haven't seen solid core ply in many years. I suspect that if you find it it will be costly.

Try asking for plaster repair washers is you want to bewilder most sales associates.:eek:

Dave Gaul
09-02-2010, 8:43 AM
Where are you Dennis?

There is a supplier near me that can sell you just about any type of ply you need...

It's called Industrial Plywood in Reading, PA

I believe a sheet of good clear pine veneer core is around $100 to give you a starting point!

Darius Ferlas
09-02-2010, 9:11 AM
I bought a 4x8x1/2 custom made ply (solid core, walnut veneer, both sides good) for $110 in Ontario. In the US it can be only cheaper.

Jamie Buxton
09-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen the stuff in years. Oddly enough, bamboo -- y'know, that new trendy material -- can be bought in "lumber core" construction.

Brian Tymchak
09-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I can buy "veneer core" plywood at my local woodworking shop (Woodwerks). (here's the price list (http://sawmillcreek.org//http://www.woodwerks.com/LumberRetailPriceList.pdf)) The veneer core ply I've bought there seems to be of very high quality. In fact, I prefer to use it over the Baltic Birch, which lately seems prone to warping. It appears to be constructed of about 1/8" layers of poplar.

Is veneer core the same as solid or lumber core or they different somehow?

Thanks, Brian

Chris Padilla
09-02-2010, 2:09 PM
In the veneering circle of ww'ing, some folks like to make up their own "plywood" by putting together a core of solid hardwood and veneering their own stuff on the outside. For much smaller than 4' x 8' plywood, this can work decently since most of us don't have easy access to 4x8 veneers. However, folks do slip match and/or bookmatch to get wider panels. It is a lot of work resawing, sanding, and for wide panels, you almost have to have a veneer vacuum press.

Chuck Cibes
09-02-2010, 2:29 PM
I've been most impressed with some American made plywood that Columbia Forest Products makes. I really got fed up with the chinese junk that's available at the big box stores and went searching for something American. The following link lists all of their available hardwood plywood products, and they do list a lumber core, --I haven't used that, but maybe it's what you're looking for. I've used their red oak unfinished, and maple pre-finished, and have been most impressed with it. --nope, I don't have any relationship with the company except to buy their products! Hope this helps! http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/Products.aspx/HardwoodPlywood

David Cefai
09-02-2010, 2:52 PM
In my part of the world the material is called blockboard. I can no longer buy it and the reason given was that the "pros" have all switched to MDF instead.

Makes you wonder.

Curt Harms
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I've purchased flat sawn red oak plywood from Industrial Plywood in Reading. Such a pleasant change from most of the stuff at Lowes & Home Depot. Uniform thickness, uniform quality, no voids at all, stayed perfectly flat after being cut. This was a couple years ago but A-1 red oak one side/birch on the other was $70/sheet.

www.Industrialplywood.com

Where are you Dennis?

There is a supplier near me that can sell you just about any type of ply you need...

It's called Industrial Plywood in Reading, PA

I believe a sheet of good clear pine veneer core is around $100 to give you a starting point!

Dennis Putnam
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. At this point it was mostly a curiosity question. However, for some applications it makes a better edge finish so it is not necessary to use glued laminate or trim pieces. However, given the difficulty of finding it and the expense, it may be just as cheap to buy stock lumber and glue it for the necessary widths.

P.S. One attaboy to the first one who recognizes where the lobster reference came from. :)

Pat Germain
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
P.S. One attaboy to the first one who recognizes where the lobster reference came from. :)

Didn't the narrator say that in "A Christmas Story"? Don't recall in what scene.

Brett Nelson
09-03-2010, 1:24 PM
I can buy "veneer core" plywood at my local woodworking shop (Woodwerks). (here's the price list (http://sawmillcreek.org//http://www.woodwerks.com/LumberRetailPriceList.pdf)) The veneer core ply I've bought there seems to be of very high quality. In fact, I prefer to use it over the Baltic Birch, which lately seems prone to warping. It appears to be constructed of about 1/8" layers of poplar.

Is veneer core the same as solid or lumber core or they different somehow?

Thanks, Brian

Veneer core and lumber core are not the same. Most of what you'll find these days is veneer core. Usually about 1/8" thick veneers. Lumber core ply has a solid lumber core. A 3/4" thick sheet would have a solid wood core about 5/8" thick. One single board thick. These days most of the time only the edge boards will be continuous (8' long), while the interior boards will have butt joints. Higher quality sheets will either have continuous boards throughout, or at least fingerjointed, and the core will be a low end lumber like basswood or poplar. The high end stuff really is about $180-$230 a sheet depending on what species the surface veneers are. Usually I can only find Red Oak, Birch, Cherry, and Walnut (in order by price).

Chris Padilla
09-03-2010, 3:26 PM
Didn't the narrator say that in "A Christmas Story"? Don't recall in what scene.

That was my guess.