PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions about finishing

John Gregory
09-01-2010, 5:28 PM
I just purchased an Earlex HVLP sprayer. So I am revisiting the subject of finishing. Finishing has been the weak point of our woodworking. I have been at the TargetCoatings web site and I think I will start using some of their products for top coats. The products seem to always get great comments.

For the most part we have used Minwax and General Finishes stains. I would like to try some tints, dyes and such.
How do you color a product like EM6000? do you get a wood stain color from it? Some of the powders and such are in various colors, not in wood stain colors, do you mix various colors to obtain a wood stain like color? As you can tell, I am not sure how to use dyes and tints.
ANY information will be appreciated.

Thanks I hope no question is a dumb question. :D

Joe Chritz
09-01-2010, 7:01 PM
Buy Flexner's book.

You can tint EM6000 to operate as a toner with a variety of different things. Transtint is the only one I have used and not much at that.

EM6000 is just an acrylic clear top coat with an ever so slight straw color. It is very easy to use, relatively inexpensive and very durable. I use a lot of it.

If I use stain or BLO I use a sealcoat of dewaxed shellac (zinseer sealcoat) and then top coat with the EM. With a dye I will usually mix transtint with water but occasionally with DNA and spray it on.

Spraying is like learning everything all over again. Get the book and practice, practice practice.

Joe