PDA

View Full Version : My new car

dennis thompson
09-01-2010, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the advice on collector car insurance. I went with Gundy because they have no mileage limitation.
Here's a picture of the car.:) It's only 57 years old, just getting broken in. It's a nice driver with new paint & new interior.
Dennis

Mitchell Andrus
09-01-2010, 5:36 PM
You suck.

My "A" is still at the house in NJ. Still under an interminable restoration. My garage in NC will be 30 x 35 or so... plenty of room to restore a car or two in my old age.

Good luck with it. I'm glad a few are still stock.

A few more details, please.

Kurt Strandberg
09-01-2010, 5:41 PM
Can't you afford a new car? ;)

Bruce Page
09-01-2010, 6:07 PM
Wow, that is really clean!

Joe Chritz
09-01-2010, 6:56 PM
Sharp, very sharp

Joe

Phil Thien
09-01-2010, 7:21 PM
You're going to haul lumber in THAT?

Roger Newby
09-01-2010, 7:31 PM
I had a '53 Chevy when I was in high school (1964) think I gave 75 bucks for it. :eek: 'course I was pumpin' gas for a buck an hour. :( Then I upgraded to a '50
Olds 88. Older car but the V-8 with Hydromatic tranny ran like a scalded dog!!! Wish I had either one now.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2010, 7:38 PM
Roger,

I paid $125 for '56 Chevy 2-door sedan in '65 and I was making $2.35/hour roughnecking on oil rigs morning tour and going to HS days.

Nice '53!

Joe Pelonio
09-01-2010, 8:51 PM
That is just like the first car I remember my Grandmother driving, by the time I was old enough to drive she had traded it in on a '64 Chevelle. Very nice ride. Straight 6 (Blue Flame) and 3 on the tree, is your the same or a powerglide?

Tom Winship
09-01-2010, 9:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;1503545]Roger,

.....and I was making $2.35/hour roughnecking on oil rigs morning tour...

Ken, you were in tall cotton. I was a shavetail lieutenant in the USAF in '65 making $2.30/hour. As an engineer before going in the AF, I was making the exorbitant sum of $3.60/hour. Thought I had millions..........

Jim Becker
09-01-2010, 9:16 PM
That's really a lovely ride, Dennis! Congrats.

dennis thompson
09-01-2010, 9:33 PM
Joe
This has the Blue Flame 6 in it with a Powerglide. I think the Blue Flame 6 was one of the best engines they ever made, as simple to work on as any car I've ever worked on.
My first car was a 54 Chevy that I paid $100 for. It had no radio or heater, I bought both at a junkyard & installed them, rebuilt the engine in the backyard & ran it for a while. I was working in a gas station part time & eventually bought the gas station & began a long string of cars, 54 Chevy, 56 Chevy, 57 Chevy, 51 Pontiac (paid $15 for it from a customer),Studebaker(don't remember the year).
One day a customer asked me if I wanted to buy his 54 Olds as he was getting a new car. I told him no thanks. He came in a couple of weeks later & said his new car was coming in the next day & what could I offer him for it? I told him I'd offer him $100 but that the car was worth a lot more & he should sell it himself thru the classifieds. He said, no I'll take the $100, I didn't need a car but this was in beautiful shape so I bought it. Ran it for a few months & someone came in the gas station & offered me $200 , that was big money for me in those days (about 1964) & I sold the car. I still remember driving home from work one night about 10 PM in the car & I ran out of gas! Here I owned a gas station & ran out of gas, not my most brilliant move.

Joe Pelonio
09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes, that blue flame was a great engine, and you could almost stand up next to it in the engine compartment to change the spark plugs. The Powerglide was also durable, made them well into the '70s. You can still buy new ones.

If you ever decide on a cross-country drive stop by and give me a ride in it.

Bryan Morgan
09-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Nice! I love older cars. You know, when cars were actually built out of metal. ;) My father-in-law owns a hotrod shop that I love to go in and see what he's working on from time to time. His work is often in magazines. He builts em right. Puts them back to factory look or restomods them. Last time I was there he had a 62' vette with a widened rear end, modern but still vintage looking interior, and an engine from a modern Corvette in it. When that thing fired up it was like the devil breaking up through the earth.

dennis thompson
09-02-2010, 9:16 AM
This morning I went to register the car, I got there about 2 minutes before opening & there was a line of about 50 people, I thought about coming back another time but decided to go in. Turns out about 45 of the 50 people were there for driver's license renewals & I was out of there in 20 minutes with my new plates. I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I had a pleasant experience with some very nice & helpful people at the NJDVM!:)
Dennis

Mitchell Andrus
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
This morning I went to register the car, I got there about 2 minutes before opening & there was a line of about 50 people, I thought about coming back another time but decided to go in. Turns out about 45 of the 50 people were there for driver's license renewals & I was out of there in 20 minutes with my new plates. I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I had a pleasant experience with some very nice & helpful people at the NJDVM!:)
Dennis

QQ plates I assume.

Pat Germain
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow, that's a sweet ride. I can imagine Ozzie and Harriett Nelson cruising in that car.

With a two-speed Powerglide, might it be a good idea to install an overdrive? As I understand it, the overdrive mod is common on this type of car. It just bolts onto the back of the existing tranny. It does require the drive shaft to be shortened. But that's pretty much it.

Congrats on the "new" car!

dennis thompson
09-02-2010, 2:05 PM
Mitch
I didn't get QQ plates. I had read the NJDMV rules on the internet & it said you had to bring the title, in your name, to get QQ plates, so I just registered it &, lo & behold the clerk, hands me a registration & a title. It used to be the title came in the mail a few weeks after you registered it. Turns out I could have registered it directly with QQ plates, just had to have 2 pictures of the car. I 'll probably go back next week & get the QQ plates.
Getting lots of oohs & aahs on the car, mailman loved it ,spent 15 minutes talking to the librarian, a man, about it (women,it appears to me,are not very enthused with old cars) picked up my granddaughter after her first day at high school & it put a smile :)on the face of everyone who looked at it.None of the smiles were bigger than mine!
Dennis

Chris Padilla
09-02-2010, 2:45 PM
Awesome ride...now you need to chop the top, chain steering wheel! Yeah! I can see it now! hahahaha

Seriously, beautiful car. I'm more of a musclecar man but I wouldn't turn that classic down.