PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillars are out to get me.

Mitchell Andrus
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I went to the blueberry patch for a mid-morning snack and dang near picked this guy off the bush.

Honest. I've never seen one this big... good thing they can't jump on you as you walk by. I'm going to have to look at that will again.

It will become an Imperial Moth. A big one, apparently.

Roger Newby
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
May have a shot at the pogo stick after all!!! :rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Life in the country is sure becoming an adventure for you, isn't it Mitchell? What was that movie with Chevy Chase and the dog that would never come home?

David Weaver
09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
That guy looks like a hornworm of a different color. I wonder what it wants with the bush. Wiki lists oak, pine, maple, sweetgum and sassafras as its targets.

If it thinks the same thing of your blueberries as a hornworm thinks of tomatoes, you'll find out real soon. Hopefully it's just transient, though.

Mitchell Andrus
09-01-2010, 1:43 PM
Life in the country is sure becoming an adventure for you, isn't it Mitchell?

Here are our turkeys this am. All but one is on the fence out by the shop. They've been doing this in the same spot for about a week.

Strange birds.

John Shuk
09-04-2010, 9:39 AM
I've been finding a bunch of varieties of large hornworms around here just lately. A bunch on my tomato plants but I get em. They are really pretty cool. It isn't hard to see where Eric Carle got his inspiration after seeing what happens to leaves put in their tanks!

Dave Verstraete
09-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Here are our turkeys this am. All but one is on the fence out by the shop. They've been doing this in the same spot for about a week.

Strange birds.
But tasty on Thanksgiving Day:D

Bill Cunningham
09-04-2010, 8:50 PM
Lookatthat .. It like a Turkey shooting gallery... gobbelgobbelgobbelBANGYummmmm...