PDA

View Full Version : Lathe I found

Jim Roberts Port Orchard WA
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I recently purchased a Performax 16-32 drum sander from an individual and asked him if he had anything else he wanted to part with. He showed me a lathe that he wanted to sell. It is a '50s vintage Delta mounted on a very sturdy base and it has been brought into the 21st century electrically. Not only does it change speeds by belt arrangement but he has installed a reostat to do it as well. It has a newer leeson motor (sorry, don't know the hp), several up grades with packardwoodworks.com tool rests, a 24" tool rest and several chisels. He's asking $400 for the whole set up so I thought that I would ask if any locals (Seattle area)were interested. It looks like a good find for someone in the market. If interested let me know and I will hook you up with him.

Roger Chandler
09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Jim,

Was the guy's name "Bart" who has this lathe for sale?

09-01-2010, 5:30 PM
Yes it was. Bart Chandler and he also lived 396 miles from Keeton:D.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2010, 7:33 PM
Roger are thinking of Bart Leetch???

Roger Chandler
09-01-2010, 8:16 PM
Roger are thinking of Bart Leetch???

Yes Bernie,

Bart really seems to know his stuff when it comes to configuring things and fabricating metal, etc. He seems like a good guy, and he and I had some discussions about the Grizzly G0698 in the past.

I was just wondering if it was his Double Duty Delta, that he had converted over to VS.

I think it would probably be a good starter unit for someone, and I have seen some of his turnings[he emailed some pics ] and they were quite good.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2010, 9:09 PM
I figured that but Jim said Bart Chandler. Was curious if we were talking the same Bart. He did convert his old delta lathe I believe to VS.

Roger Chandler
09-01-2010, 9:17 PM
I figured that but Jim said Bart Chandler. Was curious if we were talking the same Bart. He did convert his old delta lathe I believe to VS.

Bernie,

Bart did convert his DD delta to VS, and was talking about fabricating a bowl lathe himself.

I don't know for sure, but I wasn't sure if Jim was doing a word play as a joke,or if he just meant to put Bart's last name, and put mine as an accident........but the "he also lives 396 miles from John Keeton :D" made me question that.

I also wondered if he said something to Bart, and Bart gave some of his dry humor and told him to respond the way he did. Bart can be a cut up! :D It could have just been Jim.........I don't know....."Zing, right over my head," as Bart has said about another post once before :D:p:rolleyes:

09-02-2010, 9:54 AM
Seriously now, all zings aside:o. No his name is not Bart. He lives about an hour south of Seattle and walking into his shop/barn is like being on the TV show "American Pickers". Do you not agree with me that this could be a very nice starter lathe for someone? He ran it for me and if you like high speed, then this is the lathe for you. Didn't see anything he had turned on it but there were plenty of chips around it. Nothing fancy about it (unless the VS is considered fancy) just good ol' down home HEAVY DUTY equipment:cool:.

Roger Chandler
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Seriously now, all zings aside:o. No his name is not Bart. He lives about an hour south of Seattle and walking into his shop/barn is like being on the TV show "American Pickers". Do you not agree with me that this could be a very nice starter lathe for someone? He ran it for me and if you like high speed, then this is the lathe for you. Didn't see anything he had turned on it but there were plenty of chips around it. Nothing fancy about it (unless the VS is considered fancy) just good ol' down home HEAVY DUTY equipment:cool:.

Jim,

No offense intended, when I saw your post about a vintage Delta lathe that had been upgraded, it sounded like one "Bart" was working on a few months ago, and he lives in Washington state, [Oak Harbour] and that was the substance of my inquiry.

There was certainly no "put down" of this lathe you mentioned, as I do agree, it might be a great lathe for someone wanting to get into turning at a reasonable cost.

I don't know why the reaction you gave, maybe I misunderstood that it was a zinger, and that is fine..........I like a good joke as well as the next guy! ;)

happy turning, and thanks for clarifying. Keep the chips flyin' like they say!:)

09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Roger:
Oak Harbor is on Whidbey Island a little north of me. Home to NAS Whidbey Island.
I was attending a conference in Crystal City in Jan of 2003 when a small snow storm made it's presence known:rolleyes:. I remember seeing snow totals in your neighborhood as being rather uncomfortable:eek:. I know I had to trudge through the snow for a half mile to get to the Crystal City Mall Metro Station (last open stop on that line):(. Good thing the conference was in the hotel I was staying at so I really didn't have to venture out too far. Reagan never did open back up the two weeks I was there, had to leave via Dullas (and lucky to catch that plane). De-icing before you take off is an eerie feeling..:eek: A good friend of mine now lives in Culpeper. I hope someone realizes (like you and I) that this lathe COULD be a nice find and wants to look at it.