PDA

View Full Version : Used Tormek or new Grizzly?

Gene Waara
09-01-2010, 9:57 AM
Short story: A freind has his dad's old Tormek, an old Green Supergrind 2000 with no accessories and he is firm on a $200 price. A new Griz wet grinder with accessories is about $225. A couple of questions:

As a hobbist, will I really notice a difference between the two?

I will be sharpening household knives, chisels, and hand plane blades. Will I need more than a square edge jig for the Tormek or the accu-sharp jig for the Griz?

Is a wheel truing attachment for the Tormek an absolute necessity? Why isn't there one for the Griz?

What would you do?

Thanks

Paul Johnstone
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I'd get the Tormek, most definitely. I have one and love it. Never saw anyone disappointed with it. The Griz has gotten mixed reviews.

I think both have a 10" wheel, but the Tormek wheel will last longer.
You are probably going to want to buy the special knife jig for table knives, regardless of which system you buy.

You need to use the wheel truing attachment for the Tormek occasionally to make the stone perfectly round again. During use, the stone will wear unevenly. I am not sure why Grizz does not offer something simliar.

Tormek is pretty much the cadiallac system, and that's a good price on a used one, I'd jump on that.

Short story: A freind has his dad's old Tormek, an old Green Supergrind 2000 with no accessories and he is firm on a $200 price. A new Griz wet grinder with accessories is about $225. A couple of questions:

As a hobbist, will I really notice a difference between the two?

I will be sharpening household knives, chisels, and hand plane blades. Will I need more than a square edge jig for the Tormek or the accu-sharp jig for the Griz?

Is a wheel truing attachment for the Tormek an absolute necessity? Why isn't there one for the Griz?

What would you do?

Thanks

Kyle Iwamoto
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a Tormek, and it is a great tool. I agree with Paul, get the Tormek. What does he mean no accessories? You'll need that "F" bar, at a minimum, all accessories connect to that. He should have the F bar at a minimum, as well as at least one jig. If not, I don't know what he could have done with it. Maybe he sold all the other parts? I dunno. The Jet wet sharpener jigs fit, although the Tormek jigs seems to be of better quality (to me).

Gene Waara
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Kyle - The F bar is there but the square edge jig and wheel truing tool are gone. The unit was his dad's and he has no idea where the jigs are or even "what" they are. My concern is the truing tool is $79 and the square edge jig is $53. Add a long knife jig for $49 and, well, you get the picture. Soon I'm up in the stratesphere and am wondering if it is worth the total cost. And yes, I know I am the only one that can answer that but need a little push.....:)

Greg Portland
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd get the Tormek, most definitely. I have one and love it.I agree that he should get -a- Tormek, not necessarily the one he's looking at. Gene: Be sure to look at the amount of stone remaining. Tormek has a gauge on the front or side depending on the model. It should be over 200mm and there should be no signs of damage or cracking. The stones are expensive and IMO it wouldn't be a good deal if you needed to buy a new stone. Also make sure the leather wheel is in good shape (should be smooth and not cut up).

You'll want the following for knives, chisels, and plane blades:
- stone grader
- stone truing tool
- F-bar
- Tormek "AngleMaster"
- square edge jig
- long knife jig
- regular knife jig
- honing compound for the leather wheel (doesn't have to be Tormek)

I will also mention that the Tormek does not instantly yield perfect results. It will take some practice and refinement of technique (just like any other sharpening system). Definitely visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormekusers/ ; a lot of the experts hang out there. Pick up some knives @ the Goodwill for practice. It took me a few sessions of trial and error before I got acceptable results.

george wilson
09-01-2010, 5:38 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that many Jet wet wheel grinders quit suddenly. Mine did,2 dealers told me that they often quit right out of the box.

I found the problem was the slide on wire connectors plugging wires into the little printed circuit. The connectors are as thin as Pepsi cans. They probably break when the assemblers are shoving them onto their terminals. I just re soldered mine,and it has since been fine.

I don't think Tormeks are built that flimsy. $200.00 is a great price. I'd go for it over the Grizzly,because the Grizzly and Jet are both Chinese,and MIGHT have similar problems.

After I called Jet,and got a speech on how proud they are of their products(in spite of dealers always sending them back),I just figured out how to fix my own Jet.

Josiah Bartlett
09-01-2010, 5:54 PM
The Grizzly unit is actually made in Germany, not China.

Van Huskey
09-01-2010, 7:45 PM
The Tormek is THE system. Grab the bar on it and shake it, do the same on the Grizzly, Jet or any of the others and you will see very quickly how much better made the Tormek is. That said the stone is a big part of the price so ensure it is good.

Joe Mioux
09-01-2010, 8:38 PM
i have that same tormek.. I like it alot.

Carl Beckett
09-01-2010, 8:43 PM
As long as the wheel still has life left and is in good shape.

I have a Grizzly 8". Its fine for many things, but the stone is too coarse for something like a knife.

I havent used the Tormek directly, but based on the reviews and looking at them in the store, I believe the wheel is a much finer grit and should yield a much better finish.

A new wheel is more than the cost of the unit.....

Steve LaFara
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
If you don't buy your buddie's Tormek, I call first dibs.:D You don't post where you live so shipping may be an issue, but I'm interested.

george wilson
09-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm glad to hear the Grizzly is made in Germany!!

John Shuk
09-02-2010, 9:24 AM
I'm glad to hear the Grizzly is made in Germany!!

Sadly, I've read some less than flattering reviews of the Grizzly. I would like to get one of these systems and if the Tormek were around here for $200 I would have been sharpening with it already.

Paul Johnstone
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Kyle - The F bar is there but the square edge jig and wheel truing tool are gone. The unit was his dad's and he has no idea where the jigs are or even "what" they are. My concern is the truing tool is $79 and the square edge jig is $53. Add a long knife jig for $49 and, well, you get the picture. Soon I'm up in the stratesphere and am wondering if it is worth the total cost. And yes, I know I am the only one that can answer that but need a little push.....:)

DO IT.. There's your push :D

I always had trouble sharpening.. if I had gotten the tormek from the beginning, it would've saved me hundreds of dollars (Wolverine, honing jigs, stones, slow speed dry grinder, etc). My turning tools work so much better now that they are sharpened properly.. Now granted, I could've learned to make the other methods work, but the Tormek is literally idiot proof.

You might need to buy the angle setting jig too, but that's only about $20.

Gene Waara
09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Okay, pulled the trigger and will pick it up this weekend, assuming the wheel looks good. Thanks for all the comments - and the push. Thanks Greg, for the user group info - I was not aware Yahoo had anything like that. And Steve, I'll update my location after I pick it up.:D

Greg Portland
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
No problem, Gene. The regulars on the Yahoo group -really- know the machine inside and out (as well as all the other sharpening machines out there). For some of them the Tormek is the "cheap" option; they are using $2k F. Dick knife sharpeners and $$$ beautician shear sharpening systems in their business alongside the Tormek.

Callan Campbell
09-02-2010, 4:34 PM
The Grizzly unit is actually made in Germany, not China.
I thought the catch was that they were "designed" in Germany, but made in Asia. I haven't looked at the catalog page in awhile, but now I feel the need to.:confused: OK, it's only clear as mud now ... The catalog page of 192 states what I remember, Designed in Germany, with great fanfare graphics. The basis description page from doing a search comes up with a smaller listing, and Made in Germany. So, I have no idea....

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 4:49 PM
I thought the catch was that they were "designed" in Germany, but made in Asia. I haven't looked at the catalog page in awhile, but now I feel the need to.:confused: OK, it's only clear as mud now ... The catalog page of 192 states what I remember, Designed in Germany, with great fanfare graphics. The basis description page from doing a search comes up with a smaller listing, and Made in Germany. So, I have no idea....

Catalog says "Designed in Germany!" web page says made in Germany... :confused:

David Weaver
09-02-2010, 5:10 PM
At one point they were made in germany. I wonder if anyone has gotten one lately.

I had a small sheppach, which is probably what the grizzly machine was (except a big one) when it was made in germany. The jigs look like the grizzly jigs. It could do the job OK, the wheel was more friable and more aggressive, but I ultimately ended up finding a used tormek and gave away the other machine to a friend.

Everything on the tormek is a little more precise and solid, and the tormek wheels are more durable and lapped on the sides.

Gene Waara
09-02-2010, 9:28 PM
As Paul Harvey used to say - now, for the rest of the story. Picked up the Tormek tonight. Slightly used is an understatement. 250 cm still on the wheel. Barely touched would have been a better description, no scratches or signs of wear. The owner wasn't exactly a friend. I saw this on CL for $400, then after a couple of weeks dropped to $300. Apparently others were discouraged by the lack of accessories as well. I offered $150 before I saw it but he was firm at $200 so after my post I met him and bought it. Thanks to all for the "push" - it was a great purchase. Even better, he thought the accessories may still be at his mom's house and I told him if he found them soon I would buy them at a fair price. Now, off to play with the new toy! BYTW, Steve, I live in Rochester Hills, Mi.:D

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 11:37 PM
As Paul Harvey used to say - now, for the rest of the story. Picked up the Tormek tonight. Slightly used is an understatement. 250 cm still on the wheel. Barely touched would have been a better description, no scratches or signs of wear. The owner wasn't exactly a friend. I saw this on CL for $400, then after a couple of weeks dropped to $300. Apparently others were discouraged by the lack of accessories as well. I offered $150 before I saw it but he was firm at $200 so after my post I met him and bought it. Thanks to all for the "push" - it was a great purchase. Even better, he thought the accessories may still be at his mom's house and I told him if he found them soon I would buy them at a fair price. Now, off to play with the new toy! BYTW, Steve, I live in Rochester Hills, Mi.:D

I think it was a good choice.

David Weaver
09-03-2010, 7:52 AM

Good deal. the wheel's $150, anyway, so you did alright.

I paid $300 for mine with a grading stone and the straight edge jig, video and paste. The stone was similar, the machine wasn't used much. There were several other guys trying to buy it from the retiring carpenter that I bought it from, but I saw it first and I paid the guy paypal in advance.

You'll like it. I got some other jigs that weren't listed with the sale for 1/2 of new price, which I think is a fair thing to offer the seller if he finds his.

Rick Markham
09-03-2010, 9:28 AM
Get the supergrind 2000, invest in the jigs that you need/want and don't look back! At that price it is really a no brainer. You will be kicking yourself later if your don't! Mark my words!;)