PDA

View Full Version : Box of 'steeks'

William Hutchinson
09-01-2010, 5:39 AM
I am sorry for what ever I did to deserve this. I have tried to live a decent life, help others, curtail my cynicism and show occasional kindness. I’ve finally lost what was left of my sensibilities, but when a grown man becomes ecstatic over a box of ‘steeks’ there is something gone terribly wrong. I’m sorry for ever wandering into the turners pit of debauchery.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Blackwood-shipment.jpg

I could only share this with those similarly afflicted. Now I have plenty of material to explode while making finials.

John Hart
09-01-2010, 6:23 AM
Wow...cool box of fun you got there William! Did they fall out of the sky? Or did you steal them? ;)

William Hutchinson
09-01-2010, 6:36 AM
Wow...cool box of fun you got there William! Did they fall out of the sky? Or did you steal them? ;)

Another enabler directed me here:

http://www.gilmerwood.com/Gilmerwood%20new_arrivals.htm

John Keeton
09-01-2010, 6:48 AM
Ahhhhh....yes......Gilmer! If that other enabler goes by Keller, he did the same to me. Or, perhaps there are more of them lurking here on the creek, secretly working in unison to suck all of us deeper and deeper!:confused::eek: Oh, what a devious lot we have!;)

Now, you need a box of smaller 'steeks' for the upper steeker uppers.:D I might suggest Choice Woods in Louisville KY, but hesitate to do so as some might think me an enabler, as well!:rolleyes::cool:

John Hart
09-01-2010, 6:51 AM
nice site. They have some pretty awesome turnings in their gallery too. It's nice to see a good wood supplier on the west coast.

charlie knighton
09-01-2010, 9:25 AM
gotta have it , gotta have it, don't know about enablers, but understand the vortex

David E Keller
09-01-2010, 9:56 AM
That looks great! I was actually tempted to order another bundle after you told me that you were getting a whole one(I'm having trouble dealing with the idea that Keeton and I SPLIT a bundle meaning that you have twice as much of that as I do). Damn vortex!

Steve Kubien
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
What kind of wood is it?

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
That box should keep you in finials for quite some time.:D Good looking box of wood.

Paul Douglass
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
aHHH, YES Gilmerwoods. Only 230 miles away....... Only about 5 miles from my daughter's house...

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Curses be upon that Miles Gilmer! He sent you my box of wood. Is that cocobolo? Rosewood?

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-01-2010, 1:23 PM
That place should be declared unsafe for woodworkers eyes. I looked at the web site and thanked the Lord they are on the other side of the country. I would probably spend days just lusting after wood.

David E Keller
09-01-2010, 1:23 PM
It's African Blackwood.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-01-2010, 2:08 PM
It's African Blackwood.

The minimum order is $100 tho? I would love to buy some, but I can't swing $100 for one right now. Does anyone know if Gilmer will sell in smaller amounts than what is listed on the website?

Joshua

Aaron Wingert
09-01-2010, 2:11 PM
The minimum order is $100 tho? I would love to buy some, but I can't swing $100 for one right now. Does anyone know if Gilmer will sell in smaller amounts than what is listed on the website?

Joshua

I've often wondered the same. I frequently visit their site for the eye candy but resent the idea of having to spend $100 to get anything from them.

Wayne Hendrix
09-01-2010, 3:03 PM

Joshua

I could possibly be persuaded to split an order with you. Maybe we could even interest someone else from Utah and order enough to get the reduced price.

David E Keller
09-01-2010, 3:19 PM

Joshua

I don't think they will budge on the minimum order... At least they wouldn't for me in the past. Splitting a bundle is the best way to go if you don't want an entire bundle. They were willing to split and separately ship a bundle for me on a previous order but both portions of the order exceeded $100. They have so much beautiful wood on that site... I have to hide my credit card before logging on.:D

Mike Marmon
09-01-2010, 3:58 PM
Another good reason to live in Portland :D
I have convinced my wife that Gilmer is the perfect place to shop for Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas, or just because the Sun came up presents.

Mike

Scott Hackler
09-01-2010, 4:11 PM
Am I doing the math right when I figure that 50 sticks are about the same price as the whole bag of 65-70 sticks (after the price break per stick)?

Wayne Hendrix
09-01-2010, 4:55 PM
Am I doing the math right when I figure that 50 sticks are about the same price as the whole bag of 65-70 sticks (after the price break per stick)?

Yup, it's five dollars cheaper to buy 70 than it is to buy 50. Although, I dont know how they do their shipping charges.

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2010, 5:37 PM
"It's African Blackwood."

Oooo... Don't let Keeton hear that...

John Keeton
09-01-2010, 6:21 PM
Keeton already has half a bag, and is conspiring with another well known creeker to acquire more!!:D;)

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2010, 6:48 PM
"Keeton already has half a bag..."

I shoulda known...

Kevin Lucas
09-02-2010, 1:47 PM
It's because you're a decent guy Hutch ) Don't let him fool you hes an enabler too hehe. If that's African Blackwood you're going to have fun with it. They did a finial with it the other day at Choice Woods and it came out nice, smooth and shiny without any sanding. Beautiful stuff