PDA

View Full Version : MDF Enclosure

Robert Walters
09-01-2010, 2:28 AM
I'm making my own air scrubber/sound proof enclosure that will hold a small dust collector that will be used on a laser engraver and recirculate into the same room.

It's going to have various "chambers" for particles, HVAC filter, activated carbon, dust collector, and HEPA filter.

I want to use 3/4" MDF for it's density and sound absorption properties.

The external dimensions are 36" W x 11" H x 14" D
The opening will be the full front.

There will be about 60-80 lbs inside it, and I plan on supporting the bottom with aluminum angle (or some such thing).

I've never really worked with MDF too much, but I do know that if you attempt to drive a screw through the edge, it'll just split the material.

What is the best approach to fasten the sides/edges together of an MDF box so that it'll be solid and not fall apart or twist in a month?

I have a portable table saw, drill press, and 2HP hand router available (no router table).

Michael Flores
09-01-2010, 3:46 AM
Robert, you shouldn't have a problem using mdf. I have built hundreds of speaker boxes out of MDF and never had a box fall apart. Just use regular wood glue and Pre-drill all holes. I use to use 2 inch coarse drywall screws every three inches apart. I know people are saying "Drywall Screws" but in reality the screws aren't holding the box together, the glue is so be generous. You dont need the aluminium angle stock for it wont add anymore support. I use to put massive sub woofers in these boxes and even with all that pounding, they held up.