PDA

View Full Version : Delta 18-900L Drill Press?

Ned Ladner
09-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyone own or had experience with the new Delta 18-900L drill press?

If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Joe Mioux
09-01-2010, 8:58 PM
just bumping this because it looks like an interesting new product that I wouldn't mind owning if I knew more about it.

joe

Bill Whig
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
just bumping this because it looks like an interesting new product that I wouldn't mind owning if I knew more about it.

joe

I saw one at my local Rockler. As it seemed very large, I was surprised it was 3/4 HP, the same as the Delta 17-959L. I would be curious as to the differerences between these two models besides $250.

Bill

Christopher Stahl
09-02-2010, 7:58 PM
I've had the 18-900L for some time now and I'm very happy with it. The fit and finish is very good. I like the belt tensioning system, it makes for quick changes. I have nearly zero runout. I haven't been needing more power, so the 3/4 hp is fine. I have not used the 17-959L, so I cant make the comparison.

I also have a 17" Jet that I've been on the fence with. The Delta is much nicer. If you have any specific questions let me know. At some point, I should do review.

Ned Ladner
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
How about feed back from Delta 17-959L users/owners?

Will Overton
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I would be curious as to the differerences between these two models besides $250.

Bill

If you were really curious, why didn't you compare them on Delta's website? ;)

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductCompare.aspx?Prod1=15685&Prod2=23828

Bill Whig
09-05-2010, 3:14 AM
If you were really curious, why didn't you compare them on Delta's website? ;)

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductCompare.aspx?Prod1=15685&Prod2=23828

I'm still curious. I saw several complain about the table on Model 17-959L--in particular that the table would fall out of square with the drill during use or that the settings to lock the table were poorly designed. Beyond cold hard facts, which I still appreciate, I was just pondering how fine a piece of machinery the new drill is. I don't think it has been out too long. I probably should have bought the new drill press at Rockler's 15% off sale a few weeks ago...but my shop is in a transitional state. Rockler told me that they (Stanley Black & Decker) were discontinuing the 17-959L, but I haven't seen confirmation of that.

Bill

Todd Worstell
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I too was very interested in the Delta 18-900L. Read all the info from Delta's website and the manual and it looks like just what I have been waiting for, except might prefer a 15" model. The main reason I am considering getting a new DP at all is the spindle slop in my current DP is driving me crazy. I must know what the slop/runout specs are or I may as well keep what I have. So I emailed Delta:

I have been looking to upgrade my drill press for months and I just saw your 18-900L. I love the table and quick/micro adjust depth of cut, laser and light features. But by far the #1 thing I am looking for in a drill press is the runout of the spindle. I have a Delta mortising attachement now and I simply can’t use it because the spindle slop on my Craftsman DP is so bad it would not be worth it. I have checked many machine spindles and they all have more spindle slop than I can tolerate. Can you tell me the technical tolerances on your spindle? Not just at the stops, but during the stroke. I assume there would be no problem using my Delta mortising attachment on this DP. Are there any plans to come out with a similar 15” DP?

Answer from Delta:
........ we believe the following information addresses your inquiry.
The information you are requesting is proprietary and cannot be given out.
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. If your question remains unresolved or if you require additional information please update this incident.

My reply:
How can the most important specification of a drill press be “proprietary”? That is like going to buy a car and they won’t tell you the horse power or mpg. It almost sounds like you don’t want the buyer to know the tolerances because they are no better than the typical drill press you can pick up at Lowes. My search for a drill press is entirely dependent on knowing the the tolerances or I might as well keep the drill press I have now. The lasers, light, table don’t matter to me if the spindle travel is inaccurate/sloppy. So, it lools like I would have to order a $800+, 300 lb machine, unpack it and put it together and then measure the tolerances myself and hope it will be satisfactory. And if not not satisfactory, I would have to go to the trouble and expense of repacking it and sending it back. Here is an idea, why don’t you sell me the drill press and I will tell you how much I will pay for it after I get it. And since when is product compatibility proprietary information?
........ I believe the information you supplied addresses nothing….............

I was really ready to buy this machine, but unless/until I know what I am getting I will keep looking. One poster indicated that his runout was near zero (was this at a limit or open travel?), but from what I have been able to figure out, this is a hit or miss proposition among most major manufactures due to poor quality control/design. Getting a tight head seems to be a purely statistical accident. I have seen some posts that explain how to go about fixing spindle slop with various methods using one form of head modification or another and I will try that before buying a DP with unknown tolerances.

Van Huskey
09-06-2010, 11:17 PM
One poster indicated that his runout was near zero (was this at a limit or open travel?), but from what I have been able to figure out, this is a hit or miss proposition among most major manufactures due to poor quality control/design. Getting a tight head seems to be a purely statistical accident. I have seen some posts that explain how to go about fixing spindle slop with various methods using one form of head modification or another and I will try that before buying a DP with unknown tolerances.

As I have said before spindle runout in new sub $1,000 drill presses is indeed hit and miss. I have checked the runout on quite a few Asian DPs on showroom floors and about 50% of them are acceptable, there is no manufacturer that deviates very far from this. I have decided I will not buy a new DP unless I can buy the one off the floor after I verify the runout. Further, I have not been able to get a single manufacturer spec for runout AT full quill travel, only at the top, the runout at full depth is where the real problems are. There seems to be no warranty coverage for full travel runout either based on other posters. This all said I have not even seen one of these yet, so it is possible it is the exception.

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I have decided I will not buy a new DP unless I can buy the one off the floor after I verify the runout. Further, I have not been able to get a single manufacturer spec for runout AT full quill travel, only at the top, the runout at full depth is where the real problems are.

I'm with you on this Van.

Shiraz, I hope you have this taken care of on our new "dream" drill press.

Gregg Feldstone
11-10-2010, 1:57 PM
I saw one briefly at woodcraft and played with the belt tensioner a little. It seemed to me that even with the handle locked in "release" position there was still enough tension on the belts to make some spindle changes difficult and time consuming. I had to catch the belt on some pulleys and rotate to seat the belts. Rotation was more difficult than on traditional style "motor release" assemblies because some tension remains on the belts.
I also thought the belts are thinner and narrower than on my Delta 17-965. I do like the cool paint job and the 6" quill travel. I think the table will be great IF it holds up over time. I have ordered a surplus JET machine for big savings....gloat coming soon.

Kirk Poore
11-10-2010, 4:30 PM
As I have said before spindle runout in new sub $1,000 drill presses is indeed hit and miss. I have checked the runout on quite a few Asian DPs on showroom floors and about 50% of them are acceptable, there is no manufacturer that deviates very far from this. I have decided I will not buy a new DP unless I can buy the one off the floor after I verify the runout. Further, I have not been able to get a single manufacturer spec for runout AT full quill travel, only at the top, the runout at full depth is where the real problems are. There seems to be no warranty coverage for full travel runout either based on other posters. This all said I have not even seen one of these yet, so it is possible it is the exception.

Unless the WW mags or one manufacturer start publicizing runout at full travel, the industry as a whole will not work on getting consistency in this measurement.

Now, there is one other factor, of course. Unless you're measure runout on the shaft just above the chuck, you're going to have some chuck-related deviation in there. In addition, if you're chuck has been knocked a little cockeyed during assembly or transport, you may have a problem that the manufacturer has very little control over. Removing, cleaning the taper, and reinstalling the chuck can help this type of issue.

Kirk

Van Huskey
11-10-2010, 4:56 PM
Now, there is one other factor, of course. Unless you're measure runout on the shaft just above the chuck, you're going to have some chuck-related deviation in there. In addition, if you're chuck has been knocked a little cockeyed during assembly or transport, you may have a problem that the manufacturer has very little control over. Removing, cleaning the taper, and reinstalling the chuck can help this type of issue.

Kirk

Very true, but not something you can generally check in the store, but for someone who gets a press home and has issues it is VERY imporatnt to check and try to remedy!

I have seen good examples of resonable runout at full travel on all the brands and models I have checked but it leaves my in the difficult position of wrangling a "good" press off the floor, many do not want to set-up the next press for the floor.

Ron Bontz
11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
With regard to the 17-959L Delta. I bought it a couple of years ago to replace my Chinese made Craftsman.
The 959 table can be knocked out without realizing it. It was not the easiest to get square again because of the design. It kept wanting to move a little while tightening. Eventually I got it.
The laser is easy to hit with your hand and it is plastic. I hit mine and cracked it. I had to loosen it, epoxy, then replace it. So far it is still holding. Once adjusted the laser does speed things up if you have a lot of holes to drill.
The depth adjustment has play and is not as solid. The Quill also does not have a lock that allows you keep the quill from retracting completely (reverse depth adjustment). You will have to move the table. Then readjust the laser. Unless of course I missed something.
Last and most, there is play in the shaft which can lead to a nasty vibration at higher speeds. But mainly if you try to sneak in a large hole without changing the belt position, (slower speed). I checked other 959s and they all had that play between the shaft and pully system. My last drill press did not and I never had any excessive vibration.
I like the forward tilting table option but I don't think that would play a role in my decision making now. There are too many other ways to achieve the same task.
In the end I don't think it was a bad purchase. But I would look harder at others. And that's my $10.00 worth.:)