PDA

View Full Version : Thrust bearing "problem"???

Harold Burrell
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
On my newly acquired Grizzly G0513X2 I am noticing that the lower thrust bearing turns quite hard. Anybody else experienced this? Is there a fix???

Van Huskey
08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
If it is new as opposed to new to you I would just get Grizzly to send another. There are ways to coax a bearing BUT if it is bad to begin with it will be bad again no matter what you do in my experience.

Curt Harms
09-01-2010, 8:30 AM
You can probably get one from an auto parts store or place that sells power transmission products. Should be cheaper than paying shipping and you might end up with a better quality bearing.

Prashun Patel
09-01-2010, 9:25 AM
Search ebay. You can usually get 10 of these types of bearings for under $10 - with shipping; that should last you forever.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2010, 9:44 AM
Since it's a new saw Harold,

contact Grizzly. See what Grizzly recommends and I'll bet they'll send you one free.

Tom Esh
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
On my newly acquired Grizzly G0513X2 I am noticing that the lower thrust bearing turns quite hard. Anybody else experienced this? Is there a fix???

Yeah, same experience with my G0457. Basically the lower thrust bearing on a BS is going to eat a lot of dust and I found the Griz OEM bearings just didn't tolerate it as well as better grade aftermarket versions. For sure I'd give Griz a call and get a replacement. Then if (when) it eventually fails, you can decide whether to order another Griz replacement (or maybe a handful:D), or stop by a local bearing supplier and try something better. The cheapest grade my local bearing supplier had was 2 or 3x the price of the Griz, but well worth it.

Bruce Wrenn
09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
On all the bandsaws that I have worked on, the thrust bearings were shielded. They are cheaper than sealed, but only by a couple pennies. Because these bearings are an expendable, and fairly easy to replace, I wouldn't spend big bucks to buy "name brand" ones. Just order a half dozen from your least expensive source. I wouldn't order more than a half dozen because the grease will "dry up" before you need them. Not many things beat that feeling you get throwing away a NEW bearing that has sat around too long. Money wasted, kinda like buying a gallon of glue because it was cheaper per ounce.

John Coloccia
09-01-2010, 10:37 PM

I believe that bearing has a little blade guard attached to it, right? Before you do anything, make sure that's not bent and rubbing up against the bearing.

Harold Burrell
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I really do appreciate it.

I did call Grizzly tech support and they are sending me a new bearing.

I believe that bearing has a little blade guard attached to it, right? Before you do anything, make sure that's not bent and rubbing up against the bearing.

You know, that's is kind of what I was thinking. I told the tech guy my thoughts in that regards but he thought otherwise.

I'm gonna remove the assembly tomorrow and check it out...