PDA

View Full Version : Second bowl

Steve Braman
08-31-2010, 10:30 PM
This is my second attempt at making a bowl, and first green turning. The first was posted months ago, but no longer exists. I hope the dogs enjoyed eating that one.

A friend from work told me he was having a walnut tree removed this past spring and wondered if I wanted some. Simple answer... YES! I didn't have any anchorseal so I brought a can of old latex paint to work and asked him to paint the ends since I was going to be out of town for a few days. He painted it up and someone promptly stole it off his lawn. He called his tree guy, who was nice enough to drop off 3 logs the next week from another tree he was cutting in town. I got lucky this time.

So I am not sure how the pictures will show up, but here they are. It ended up a little thicker than I would like and I really don't like the wide foot, but I am pleased with how much I learned on this one.

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice work, Steve, and nice haul on the walnut, too! Did you make the kayak?

James Combs
08-31-2010, 10:39 PM
It may be a little thick but it is hard to go wrong with Walnut. To me it is a good looking bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice work on the bowl! What's the dimensions?

Congrats on the Walnut score! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
2nd bowl? Surely you jest? Very nice 2nd bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Congrats on the walnut haul. Great looking bowl.

Steve Braman
08-31-2010, 11:04 PM
The kayak is a work in progress. I started it in my living room 10 years ago and hopefully finishing it up this fall. Clearly I was not married for the first 2 years it spent in the living room.

The dimmensions are roughly 9x3 and much smaller than it started. A few catches can quickly make something a whole lot smaller in a hurry. Then the shape didn't look good at all, so it got smaller again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think my wife finally approves of some time away from our home restoration for some funtime in the shop. I have another rough out drying and think I will turn one thin this weekend and see what happens. As an engineer, the movement of drying wood fascinates me.

gary Zimmel
08-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Great score on the walnut Steve. Love the bowl on boat pics...
Nice work on the bowl and the kayak...

Jon Lanier
09-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I like it! I think that you did great, especially for your 2nd bowl.

Might I suggest that you just put some legs on that Kayak and make it a coffee table? Because now that you've entered the world of the vortex, that Kayak is not going to see the water anytime soon. ;)