PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2004, 1:57 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and I'm GLAD it's over. OnCall this weekend and this week, so work life is tough and long hours. No real shop time this weekend but I have some Christmas gifts to finish or else.

So what did you do this weekend?

Best of Weeks and Holidays to you all...

Keith Christopher
12-13-2004, 2:02 PM
I delivered the headboard to the customer (the maple wit that arch top) and played with a new low cost veneer setup.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14713

Keith

Byron Trantham
12-13-2004, 2:07 PM
I finished making a sliding pot lit rack for my son. Put away all the lawn tools for the year. :D

Kevin Arceneaux
12-13-2004, 2:09 PM
Did my first glue up. Turned it into a cutting board for my wife. It turned out fairly decent, used my Veritas scraper on it so I got to try out a new tool. I also did a serving tray for my Mom for Christmas. My Hopechest is no longer in weight training. It lost the little bit of warp and I finished the trim on it.

Saturday, I got my order of router bits from Infinity. I had ordered the "6 Essentails" and the plywood dado set. So I got to play with them. I really like them, they seem to be the equal or better than the Freud bits I have. No tearout when going against the grain and very clean end grain cuts.

I grabbed another one of the camera's from CVS at lunch, so I should have some pics for teh Pic Police later this week.

Fred Voorhees
12-13-2004, 2:35 PM
Spent just about all of the weekend putting up trim in the bar room. That and setting the newly built bookcase in its place between the two window seat structures and also picking up about forty more board feet of red oak rough sawn lumber that matches another forty I picked up the week before. Wow, what a difference it makes using the nailing gun with the new pancake compressor! Making headway much faster with the trim work. Finished out the weekend with the son as he finished up the ambrosia maple jewelry box for his girlfreind for Christmas. Only putting on a finish and mortising in the hinges remain now. Think I'll post a pic of it when its done.

Donnie Raines
12-13-2004, 2:38 PM
Did some last minute surfaceing on the stock for a Shaker Tall clock I had in the works. Glued up and see where it goes from there... :(

On the other hand...I am told that one of the logs I bought was really curly... :cool: :D

Dan Gill
12-13-2004, 2:55 PM
I spent very little time in the shop, basically cleaning up my recently acquired (free!) jointer. Pics and gloat details to come later. We had our church Christmas Show, and I spent a lot of time at that. I did get to use my portable drill, tearing down the set until about midnight last night. Glad that part's over.

Earl Reid
12-13-2004, 4:06 PM
I had a busy weekend turning pens, FRI, Sat , Sun I was able to turn 80 pens, (ran out of blanks), It was fun.
Earl :) :)

Matt Meiser
12-13-2004, 5:00 PM
Saturday morning I picked up the materials for my daughter's train table. Saturday evening was the office Christmas party and we spent the night at the hotel where it was held. Sunday morning we bought Directv and Tivo. It gets installed on Wednesday, so starting Thursday I'll be Tivo-ing NYW and David Marks. In the afternoon I worked on the base for the train table and got all the mortises and tenons cut (got to use my L-N rabbet block plane for the first time) and the base glued up.

Chris Padilla
12-13-2004, 5:07 PM
Still working on the shop...er garage remodel. It is amazing to me how various tasks take me so bloody long to accomplish. Sure, I'm anal and do very neat and exacting work and always go the "extra mile" to do it right...wait, maybe that is why it takes so long. Also, having a curious 3 year old under your feet might slow things down a bit.... :D

Oh well...slowly...slowly...slowly...but surely! :D :D

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 6:29 PM
Spent some time doing spinny things (documented in the Turning Forum) as well as the final touches on the armoire. Otherwise, I was giving birdie head-scratches frequently as Dr. SWMBO is in India at a Liver Cancer conference and I have to be the only "big bird" for the time being... :D (You folks with toddlers will understand I'm sure...)

Thomas Prondzinski
12-13-2004, 8:44 PM
Spent all weekend in shop with tapeing drywall ,finished on sat. Went to Menards to get paint,some trim and a Jet air cleaner (could not resist $184.00 plus a $25.00 mail in rebate=159.00). Will update pics later this week when I get lights put back up. Also new camera batteries.

Tom

Lou Morrissette
12-13-2004, 9:04 PM
Finaly finished painting the shop floor. Hoping to move stuff in there this week.
Found a box with a project in it that I started before the move. Managed to get that finished.

Lou

Randy Cox
12-13-2004, 9:06 PM
Spent the weekend making this for my 12 year old daughter. Maple and Oak laminated, finished with BLO.

Randy

Joe Mioux
12-13-2004, 9:08 PM
If its December, I must be busy....

Worked all day Saturday, worked part day Sunday (delivered funeral flowers), went to Michael's (first son) christmas band concert (I really need to show you all his concert band trumpet ((1918 Holten trumpet that his grandfather played and that I PAID to have restored) finished some outdoor christmas decorating.

Joe

Bruce Page
12-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, I’ve been sitting in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PlaceName w:st=Launch</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Control</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Center </st1:PlaceType>for several days now trying to get a missile of the ground. So far, the weather Gods are not cooperating very well. The weather here (Kodiak) has been severe and our counterparts in the South Pacific Isle of Kwajalein aren’t fairing much better – they had a small typhoon breeze through on Saturday.

Norman Hitt
12-14-2004, 1:56 AM
Saturday, working around my WW shows, I made a fairly large Cutoff Sled for my Buddy to fit his Rigid TS (for his Christmas Present). Sunday afterrnoon, we watched about 10 min of the Cowboy Game and then my Buddy came over and we used his new Cut Off Sled and cut and Dado'd all the Case parts for his new Router Table, which is from plans of Norm's Original RT that I modified in several places. We planned to glue it up Mon night, but it got too cold in my opinion for the glue to set properly, and unfortunately, it's supposed to stay cold here all week, soooooo....maybe next weekend, I hope.

I know I'll be in trouble here, 'cause I don't have a Dig Cam, or even a scanner, so No Pics for now, but maybe My Daughter can take some when she comes home for X-mas. The new "Sled" worked great, and I like it so well, I guess I'll have to make myself one just like it to fit My Saw.

Herb Blair
12-14-2004, 6:34 AM
My son was home, just back from Iraq. He and his wife went with me to the Dallas woodworking show on Friday. Spent a few bucks, picked up a LN Dovetail saw and 60 1/2R Block Plane, plus a few other small items.
What little shop time I had, I built a couple of templates for a Roll Top Desk that I will be starting next weekend.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-14-2004, 7:11 AM
Saturday I changed the disc brake pads on the Elky and rested....Sunday I got to see the Cowboy Game from a private box. That's the only way to see a football game. The box had a caterer and he was opening beers for us. We sat overlooking the 20 yard line and watched New Orleans stomp us into the ground. But the food was good and we had a great time anyway.

I did manage to clean up the shop a bit during the morning on Sunday. It's in much better shape now!

Marshall Harrison
12-14-2004, 7:28 AM
Spent some time in the shop cutting plywood up for the rolling tool stand in this month's ShopNotes. First cuts made on my new Craftsman table saw. It cut beutifully with no effort and man is it quiet compared to the screamer I used to have. Will try to finishup later this week but weatherman is predicting in the 20s and 30s so I'll have to wait and see.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2004, 7:46 AM
This past weekend as chance would have it, we celebrated our Christmas early. My youngest son and wife flew from San Antonio to Seattle on Thursday and drove over to Lewiston on Friday. Daughter and grandkids drove over from Portland on Friday. Saturday morning, I worked at a site where we have a new MR scanner installing. Saturday afternoon...SWMBO required a new series of family photos be taken. Saturday evening we had our early Christmas dinner and gift exchange. Sunday morning daugter and g-kids left early as oldest grandson had to be to work on Sunday afternoon. I went to new MR installation and worked 6 1/2 hours. Monday morning youngest son and bride departed for their week in Spokane. She's a pharmicist. Each year until he graduates from dental school they are visiting a different city in the NW and evaluating them as a potential relocation site after his graduation. She's a native Floridian but fell in love the Pacific NW while they lived in Silverdale Wa. during his naval service aboard the USS Carl Vinson. For Christmas I gave my wife an airline ticket to spend 10 days over the Christmas holidays with her parents (aged 81 & 85). Thus with the youngest and bride's schedule and wife's schedule....we celebrated early......I got "gift cards" for the depot......probably use them to help finance the insulation of the new shop.

mike lucas
12-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Still working on the shop...er garage remodel. It is amazing to me how various tasks take me so bloody long to accomplish. Sure, I'm anal and do very neat and exacting work and always go the "extra mile" to do it right...wait, maybe that is why it takes so long. Also, having a curious 3 year old under your feet might slow things down a bit.... :D

Oh well...slowly...slowly...slowly...but surely! :D :D
I know about a young one getting under foot.

I installed a tile floor in our bathroom in 1992, I had my daughter (2 1/2 at the time) as a helper. The tile was the kind that are 4 different sizes, very small and glued to a cheese cloth type backing. Well once the backing gets wet, all those little tile become loose. You have to walk around on it carefully to seat it. When she seen what I was doing, she had to help. Needless to say, by the time I (we) was done, there was not a straight piece in the place.:eek: She danced around and had a ton of fun helping.

You know what? I wouldn't trade the time with her for everything in the world. And I am sure there will come a time when you look back, and wish you could have this time back.
Now at 14, she hardly even talks to me.:(

Bruce Page
12-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Now at 14, she hardly even talks to me.:(
Nice story Mike.
Give her time, most all of them come around, you will be her hero once again.

Keith Christopher
12-14-2004, 11:14 PM
My son was home, just back from Iraq. He and his wife went with me to the Dallas woodworking show on Friday. Spent a few bucks, picked up a LN Dovetail saw and 60 1/2R Block Plane, plus a few other small items.
What little shop time I had, I built a couple of templates for a Roll Top Desk that I will be starting next weekend.
You will LOVE the 60 1/2 R man what a nice plane