PDA

View Full Version : Non-degradeable polyethylene ?

Stephen Tashiro
08-31-2010, 8:50 PM
Is there such a thing as non-degradable rolls of polyethylene plastic anymore? Or what about a delayed-degradable polyethylene? The normal stuff seems to start breaking up in about a month. Can I get something that would last several months?

Dave Anderson NH
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Polyethylene like most plastics does not degrade in the normal sense of being biodegradable. If unpigmented polyethylene is exposed to sunlight (UV) for a few weeks it will begin to break down and degrade in that sense. If it is burned in an incinerator at above 1500F as no more than 50% of the fuel load it will ex hibit complete combustion and the only by products will be CO2 and water vapor.

Stephen Tashiro
09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks, but I'll continue to say poly rolls "degrade" as long as they break up into a zillion little tiny pieces.

Prashun Patel
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
What are you using them for? PE shouldn't just degrade like that; it should only do that in the presence of some solvent.

To that end, you can purchase either flourinated polyethyelene or high density polyethylene, both of which should hold up to solvents much better than regular.

Stephen Tashiro
09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm using them to temporarily cover a roof that I'm repairing - at my usual blistering pace.