PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Bowl

Jon Lanier
08-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Here is a final piece of some of the Cherry Burl I received back in the spring. This piece I did not DNA soak. Just picked it up and turned it. It was almost a throw away piece after having cut up the Burl.

Measures 5” x 2 3/4”

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 8:46 PM
You got my interest, but.....oooops, no pic!

Tom Sherman
08-31-2010, 8:54 PM
Good thing you didn't throw it away Jon, That's a good lookin bowl.

gary Zimmel
08-31-2010, 8:55 PM
That was one nice chunk of wood that now is one really nice bowl....
And to think it was just about a scrap.
Nice work Jon.

Jon Lanier
08-31-2010, 8:55 PM
You got my interest, but.....oooops, no pic!

Yea, I missed a step... only took a minute extra to add attachments and you were already on the thread. Wow.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 9:51 PM
I love the form and finish.....That piece of wood is one of the most spectacular pieces I have seen. What character that wood has!

Don't throw that away!

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 9:55 PM
Jon, that is a beauty!! Nice form from a fantastic piece of wood. Love to get hold of a piece like that for a HF!! Check your trash pile for me!;):D

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 9:57 PM
That's a cool looking piece of wood. Every photo looks like a different piece with all of the color variations and inclusions in that burl.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Great looking bowl Jon.

Jim Roberts Port Orchard WA
09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I was lucky like you to receive a cherry burl. Except I was given about a 4' trunk piece. It really turns nicely doesn't it? Mine's a little darker then yours though, maybe the oil I used. I love your results. Here is a pic of the trunk I got and one bowl to show the simularity in the burls. I think I found this on craigslist in the Seattle area. Someone cut it down and wanted it gone. I called my daughter as asked her to go pick it up. When I got it, it was covered in ivy vines. What is your finish? Mine is just walnut oil. Great work, thanks for sharing.