PDA

View Full Version : Copper filled Red Oak bowl with ant tunnels

Leo Van Der Loo
08-31-2010, 7:34 PM
that I filled with a mixture of bark and coffee ground :)

This is another turning of the Red Oak tree that got rough turned about 6 years ago and never got finished, as there were a couple of tunnels that did go right through the wall and some that didn't go quite through,there were also a bunch of tunnels where I made the rim, closing the tunnels wouldn't be that hard but the regular material didn't appeal to me, so now I finished it finally, and I used something else that stands out much more and looks better IMO :)

I used a mixture of ground bark and coffee ground for some of the tunnels, both on the inside and outside and on two of the tunnels I used also copper, I also used the copper powder and rubbed it into the grain on the inside and put a finish over it.

It is hard to get it to show well in a picture but I tried, I still have to remove the tenon when the piece is all finished.

Sorry for not including the profile picture, I thought I did add it :o :o

Any and all comments are welcome as always:)
160021 160023 160022 160046 160024

Michael James
08-31-2010, 7:37 PM
Hey Leo, I really like that! Beautiful as usual, with an additional rustic looking rim.

Roger Chandler
08-31-2010, 7:41 PM
Leo,

Very creative way to "fix" that piece. that is a truly unique piece, and it shows nature at work in many facets, and it also really shows the skill of the artisan who turned it as well.

Love the shape of the form, and the rim is just splendid! The color and finish are top notch. Thanks for giving us a peek at this one, it inspires me to know how to address situations that may arise in the future.

Tom Sherman
08-31-2010, 9:15 PM
An excellent project Leo, great work.

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 10:10 PM
That's a cool looking bowl. I've tried metallic powders as fillers a few times in the past without success. This piece may give me the push to try it again. Just lovely.

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Wow!!! Leo, that is one of the neatest bowls you have posted!! I love the character of this piece - a lot!!!

Terry Achey
08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Leo, I like the unusual texture, finish and form. I especially enjoy the soft edges that you created between the smooth and textured areas, and the color tone and finish. A refreshing project! thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Terry

David DeCristoforo
08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Leo was that Ethiopian yirgacheffe that you used for filler? This is a very unusual bowl. Of course the form is "pure Leo" but the metallic filler is totally unexpected. I have a feeling that this will really grow on whoever ends up owning it.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Another great looking bowl Leo! The rustic rim really stands out for me! Really cool bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
That is a beauty Leo. I really like that rustic look of the rim. Well done.

Ken Glass
08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Leo,
I see so little Red oak burl that I am shocked at how beautiful this piece is. You have really captured the ruggedness and beauty both with this turning. Well done.

brian watts
09-01-2010, 4:37 AM
Another great looking bowl Leo! The rustic rim really stands out for me! Really cool bowl!

the rim is neat to me . really like it...

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-01-2010, 6:23 AM
Hi Leo,

Like so many others, I too really was impressed looking at this piece of art. Everything from the worm holes, thickness of the wall, rim detail and color are all captivating.

I know style and taste are personal, but for me, you hit this one 100%!

Michelle Rich
09-01-2010, 7:17 AM
very appealing piece. nice & rustic

steven carter
09-01-2010, 8:24 AM
Leo,

6 years from rough out to finish? It was worth the wait! One gnarley piece of oak made one great looking bowl. I'm sure glad you finished this one!

Steve

charlie knighton
09-01-2010, 9:16 AM
very nice, Leo

I also used the copper powder and rubbed it into the grain on the inside and put a finish over it.

good idea, i wish i could see it in person

Rob Cunningham
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Very nice bowl Leo. I like the rustic look.

Mark Cothren
09-01-2010, 1:47 PM
That is some cool wood, for sure - and a nice bowl. I can see this one being very popular with anyone who gets hold of it.

Bill Wilcox
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Leo,
What a nice looking bowl you have done there. It almost looks like lava moving around in it.
Very Very nice,
Bill

Baxter Smith
09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
That is a neat looking bowl with a great rim. I am curious about the size and thickness of both bowl and rim since you didn't mention it.

Ron Bontz
09-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Beautiful piece as always, Leo.

Perry Higgins
09-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Leo,
I always look specifically for your posts since they provide something exceptional every time. What is the finish on this oak piece?

Leo Van Der Loo
09-02-2010, 1:05 AM
I'd like to reply to each of you individually for you kind replies and thank you for taking the time to comment, however , Our latest grand daughter has to have hearth surgery this friday, after it being postponed from this past tuesday, (there was an emergency that got had to be done right away).
This brought the whole family and the in-laws over here (17 in all) and yes we do enjoy the get together, there's this apprehension of course that it can go wrong.
So I'm short on time, even so I'm able to drop in for a short time now and then (can't stay away :D) and event turned a few minutes a couple of times :o
So once again thank you, I'll let you know the outcome and could answer any ?? later :)

steven carter
09-02-2010, 8:18 AM
Leo,

Prayers for God's guidance for the surgeons hands are on the way!

Steve

Cathy Schaewe
09-02-2010, 8:19 AM
I wish I could adequately express how beautiful I think this piece is -

Tim Rinehart
09-02-2010, 9:16 AM
I really enjoy the character in a bowl like that. Super all around!

Harvey Ghesser
09-02-2010, 9:49 AM
A gorgeous piece of art as usual Leo! Love the rim..
Prayers for your grandaughter and family have been offered.

Be well.

Harvey

ed hoxter
09-02-2010, 8:46 PM
really a gorgeous bowl ,LEO. keep up the great work. ed

Bill Wilcox
09-02-2010, 9:19 PM
Leo,
So sorry to hear about the unfortunate issue with your Grand Daughter. I hope and pray that everything will work out well. Your Family is in my Families Prayers.
Bill Wilcox