PDA

View Full Version : Finial Pedastal Cherry B

Mike Stephens
08-31-2010, 5:34 PM
This box is Cherry with some curliness to it and Ebony.

Box measures 1 7/8" Diameter at widest point and 8 1/4" tall.

Thoughts feelings comments are welcome and appreciated.

160010 160011 160012 160013

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 5:37 PM
Very unusual form, intriguing and projects a very modern feeling to me. I like it. The contrasting woods work well together and the finish is nice.

I like it.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2010, 6:16 PM
I am really taken by this form! I love it! Great Job!! It has a real look and feel of class to me. Thanks for sharing.:)

Ken Glass
08-31-2010, 7:22 PM
Mike,
I like this form. It flows from top to bottom and is different than the norm. The proportions are great and the finish looks good too. Very well done!

Roger Chandler
08-31-2010, 7:32 PM
The pictures that show up on my computer screen show the finial and pedestal to be blue in color. Is that a correct color for the ebony? If so, I have never seen blue ebony, so if it is so, what did you do to get that lovely color contrast?

That is quite a striking hollow form, and it is unique to what I have seen over the last year or so.

Very nice indeed..........great form, and lovely overall. Very pleasing to the eye.

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 8:24 PM
Mike, I didn't really grasp the petiteness of this piece until I did a double take on the dimensions!! Quite a nice job of turning here - interesting form, and great combination of woods.

Roger, I get a little blue cast, but not a lot. It may have more to do with Mike's color balance as the ebony I have used doesn't have that hue.

Mike Stephens
08-31-2010, 8:45 PM
Hey everyone. Thanks for the feed back.

Roger I was using a new camera. I need to spend a little time with it. I did turn the date off.

The Ebony is black.

James Combs
08-31-2010, 9:00 PM
Hey everyone. Thanks for the feed back.

Roger I was using a new camera. I need to spend a little time with it. I did turn the date off.

The Ebony is black.

Mike, is this closer to the true colors? BTW it is a beautiful vessel regardless of the colors.

Mike Stephens
08-31-2010, 9:04 PM
Mike, is this closer to the true colors? BTW it is a beautiful vessel regardless of the colors.

Yes that is much better.

Thanks James.

Mike

Jon Lanier
08-31-2010, 9:16 PM
I like it. Looks like an art piece that George Jetson would have in his office.

Tom Sherman
08-31-2010, 9:35 PM
Very nice Mike, I like how the line flows from the box to the stickeruppper and the holderupper, real smooth.

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
I love the piece, Mike! As the others have mentioned, it's a great form, and a nice diversion from what I'm used to seeing. I love that the subtle grain in the ebony is still visible... I prefer that to pure black.

The only thing I might change is that the upper steeck seems a little bulky for my taste, but that's just my taste.

Roger Chandler
08-31-2010, 10:20 PM

Thanks Mike, and James!

That explains it!

That is what I thought. I felt like something must be amiss with the color settings or something. That is truly a great turning.......the form is something I will have to record in the back of my brain.

Steve Schlumpf
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice! Real contemporary feel to it! Wood colors work well together!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Mike I really like this piece. The wood combo's are really nice.

Jon McElwain
09-01-2010, 1:36 AM
A striking piece for sure! Dido on the modern look to it. I think that the color contrasts, the rings in the finial, and slender "rocket" profile add to the modern feel. I would be interested to see how it would look if you were to move the vessel up, elongating the base, and shortening the finial from the top of the vessel to to bottom of the rings. It has a bit of a top heavy look to it. Could someone photoshop it just for kicks? Perhaps that would be cheating! ;)

Anyway, an intriguing form, with appeal and a sense of something new to it!

William Hutchinson
09-01-2010, 5:18 AM
Good looking piece, it has an hint of Art Deco styling to it. Nicely done.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-01-2010, 6:26 AM
My comments are the same as everyone prior to me . . .

Very neat box!

John Hart
09-01-2010, 6:27 AM
At first glance I thought the finial and pedestal overwhelmed the body....but I got over that real quick. I think you struck a good balance. It is a very cool piece. nice:)

Michelle Rich
09-01-2010, 6:32 AM
Something different! Yahoo!!