PDA

View Full Version : Dumb bandsaw wiring question (Grizzly bandsaw)

John Hoppe
08-31-2010, 4:58 PM
Finally getting around to wiring in my GO513P. My 220 is all wired as ceiling connections so the cord on the saw is too short. I went to replace the cord and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the cord out of the plate that it passes through on the back of the saw. It has a plastic grommet snapped inside that hold the cord in place. I would like to remove the grommet and reuse it (along with the cord since it will be long enough for the dust collector). Any ideas how to get it out?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 5:26 PM
John,

Typically those grommets have a small section that is removable. On most of them, when viewing it from the inside, you can compress that small section and then push the entire grommet out the hole to the outside. It can be a bear to compress that small section, especially when reinstalling it. They make special pliers for this but I have often used needle-nosed pliers and small channel-lock type pliers.

Good luck!

Cary Falk
08-31-2010, 8:48 PM
It looks like this when you get it out. I can get them out using a flat blade screwdriver pushing from the back in and through the plate on the small part. I just got done messing with 4 of them.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0209.jpg

John Hoppe
08-31-2010, 9:19 PM
Those look like the ones. I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

glenn bradley
08-31-2010, 9:48 PM
Small channel-locks work great too if you can get them and your hand in position.

Lawrence Nitz
09-01-2010, 3:56 AM
Hi! I, too, wired my 230 on the ceiling. For my bandsaw and lathe, I made a 3' extension cord with the same fittings as I used in the ceiling outlets. That allows me to plug in the extension, then the saw into the receptacle on the end of the extension cord. The only touchy thing is that the male and female cable fittings I have been using cost about $8.00, so the ceiling to extension cord, extension cord to saw will set you back about $24.:o

Curt Harms
09-01-2010, 8:00 AM
Those look like the ones. I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I replace mine. Either a box connector if it's not dusty or liquid tight if it is dusty. I find the OEM parts very frustrating to work with. Every hardware store carries box connectors. I don't know if the borgs carry liquid tight fittings or not, they may.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-tight-conduit/=8nmrq9