PDA

View Full Version : Coolibah Burl

Robert McGowen
08-31-2010, 4:34 PM
This is either the world's most shallow bowl or more likely a platter. It is made from Australian Coolibah Burl and finished with 3 coats of Antique Oil. 12" across by 1" tall. Comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks!

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 5:10 PM
It's gorgeous wood regardless of whether it's a platter, bowl, or wall hanging! Great photos as well.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2010, 6:25 PM
Bobby(don't ya just hate it when I do that?), This is really nice stuff. I like the way you preserved the natural look.:)

Tony De Masi
08-31-2010, 6:40 PM
Very nice Robert. If I remember correctly that's three of these pieces now. Have any more of it left?

Tony

charlie knighton
08-31-2010, 7:04 PM
very nice, Robert, i have always wondered after turning it, if the turner feels it is something that he wants to do to be called a turner, sort of like the turner has curoisity, or wants to able to say i have turned austriain burl??? would you do it again???? i would appreciate your comments Robert.

Robert McGowen
08-31-2010, 7:10 PM
wants to able to say i have turned austriain burl??? would you do it again???? i would appreciate your comments Robert.

It is fairly simple for me...... every one that I have turned has sold. I can turn something from free wood and sell it for $50 or I can turn something from $100 wood and sell it for $200. I may not be a genius, but I can add and subtract okay. So the short answer is, yes, I would do it again! :cool:

Robert McGowen
08-31-2010, 7:12 PM
Very nice Robert. If I remember correctly that's three of these pieces now. Have any more of it left?

Tony

I have about 5 pieces left..... I hope you don't get bored!

Peter Hay in Aus
08-31-2010, 7:40 PM
Robert,

Never get tired of good old Aussie Burl, I just wish that our freight rates were as friendly as those provided by USPS where I can get up to twenty pen blanks shipped from USA to my home in one week for 13 odd dollars.

Tomorrow I expect to buy a quantity of Aussie Burl Blanks, ie Red Mallee, Brown Mallee and others. Wish I could share them.

Coolibah is featured in a famous old Once a Jolly Swagman camped by a Billabong under the shade of a Coolibah Tree the opening lines. Little did they know the extraordinary thrill you have experienced with your small dished Burl, I love it. By way of explanation the term swagman refers to the early depression years when men abandoned home/family to carry a swag (rolled up blanket and tin can (billy) drifting around to find casual employment living rough along the way. A Billabong is a body of water.

Regards Peter.