PDA

View Full Version : Blind guess

Ken Hill
08-31-2010, 4:27 PM
Im about to gear up for some serious wood collection (4 or 5 Walnut trees and hopefully more Persimmon) and today I was informed by one of my friends that he had cut loose a leaner that he said is a purple walnut?? I have not seen the tree, have no pictures as of yet and I am unaware of anything of that nature. This guy has been cutting trees his entire life but I have some doubts as to what he has for me haha! He said he thought at first it was a locust but when he got to it he knew it wasnt and when he cut it down it was purple inside....

This is from a secluded ridge in WV and it has me intriqued and stumped as to what he has gotten ahold of. Anyone have a geuss on this vaque description:D

Nick Amandus
08-31-2010, 4:53 PM
Can't help you with the type of wood, but since I'm living in southern WV, I would like to know what to keep an eye out for. Definitely would like to see some pics when you get the chance. Hopefully someone here can help wood id.

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 5:08 PM
Sounds like regular walnut to me. I'm no arborist, but a lot of walnut has a very purple tone to it. I'd like to see it, and I look forward to hearing what the others have to say.

Tom Sherman
08-31-2010, 5:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing david

Ken Hill
08-31-2010, 5:35 PM
I will be sure to get pics when I go get it. I will be there tomorrow but Goose hunting not tree hunting haha!

He called it Purple Walnut so I have no doubt it is probably a walnut but I personally dont know enough to know about the purple hue....but learning never hurt noone:D

Nick, im not the best one to answer what to look out for. Im learning as I go. Oak, Ash, Shagbark Hickory, Persimmon, Fruit Trees, tons of species here for sure!

Dave Carey
08-31-2010, 6:17 PM
A friend of mine in southern Virginia is building a bed out of walnut that has a decided purple hue to it. Not sure if that's what is meant by a "purple walnut" but it might be. I wonder if the purple will fade to brown over time or retain that hue. Either way it should be great wood to work.

Jerry Rhoads
08-31-2010, 7:20 PM
Hey Ken, some walnut has some purple in it. It has a lot of purple when it has lots of nails and lags in it.
Might want to check it with a metal detedtor before cutting.

Jerry

Leo Van Der Loo
08-31-2010, 9:11 PM
Im about to gear up for some serious wood collection (4 or 5 Walnut trees and hopefully more Persimmon) and today I was informed by one of my friends that he had cut loose a leaner that he said is a purple walnut?? I have not seen the tree, have no pictures as of yet and I am unaware of anything of that nature. This guy has been cutting trees his entire life but I have some doubts as to what he has for me haha! He said he thought at first it was a locust but when he got to it he knew it wasnt and when he cut it down it was purple inside....

This is from a secluded ridge in WV and it has me intriqued and stumped as to what he has gotten ahold of. Anyone have a geuss on this vaque description:D

I have found that especially new green/wet Black Walnut sometimes has a more purple hue to the wood than other Black Walnut, looks really nice, but like all wood colors it does change and the colors get to be a more chocolate brown after a while, a color I think is better looking than the greens and purples of the new opened up Black Walnut.
A logger would of course see the new colors and the diffences between one Walnut and another, but never the mature color that these woods will get after a year of two/
Now why some get darker and more purple I don't really know, it probably has something to do with the mineral content of the soil where these trees grow, as in the bush nails and spikes are not present one would hope, or like to saw into :rolleyes:
Two pictures here that do show some of the differences in the color of Black Walnut :)

160044 160045

John Shuk
08-31-2010, 9:23 PM
Could be a local phenomenon related to the soil makeup. I've never heard of purple walnut but agree that it can look that way when freshly cut.

Ken Hill
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I reckon we will find out soon enough! He said teh tree has been dead for quite some time as they are just getting to that area of the ridge. Knowning that area, nails would be very very rare, but I have my metal detector at the ready!

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I have cut up several pieces of walnut from Missouri that have a purple cast to it until it was turned and dried.