PDA

View Full Version : These are My People

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2010, 3:46 PM
I just about split my sides watching this! If you need any instructon in understanding Southern, here you go . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NsC98xVN0

I've actually been to Nawuth, South Carolina. :D

Lee Schierer
08-31-2010, 4:16 PM
Who's on first?

Mitchell Andrus
08-31-2010, 5:55 PM
I drove through a Taco Bell for a fast lunch.

3 times....... no comprede. I finally had to drive to the window to see (SEE) that she was asking me if I wanted hot or mild sauce and a hard or soft shell for my "tacaoooowwwww?"

Bill Cunningham
08-31-2010, 9:13 PM
Being a Canadian, and occasionally finding myself in many of the states, you do notice that there is a definite difference in both the lingo and the many regional accents. It took a while for me to pick up the various cultural and verbal variances.. Every thing from Yawannasac (translation: would you like a bag to put your purchase in?) to "Ya have a nice one" (I do, but How did she know??). I spent a half hour in a Kentucky truck stop, having fun by trying to get the pretty young thing to say Apple Pie and not Ayaple Pie.. She could not do it..:rolleyes: And, a word of warning for other Canadians, Never order Chips and Gravy you probably won't expect, or like what you'll get :eek:.. To most of us here, your all from the south, even the ones that live in the 30% of the U.S that's further north than I am, which is most of the Northern Border States;)

Dave Lehnert
08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
If any have traveled I-75/71 past the Florence Mall in Ky have seen the water tower.
A major, northern KY landmark. In 1974, the message on the water
tower read "Florence Mall", this in anticipation of the shopping center
being built next to it. However, this violated some state statute, so
the " M " was hastily made into a " Y' ". It was never changed back
to its original form.

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/2007/11/major-northern-ky-landmark.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AcUdTl7Aq-s/Ryo778ZcEUI/AAAAAAAACwo/WIKdAZWm14s/s400/Florence-yall_Wiki_Bakerq.jpg

jerry nazard
08-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Belinda,

Why, it makes perfect sense to me....

-Jerry

(Hope you are doing fine!)

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2010, 6:48 AM
Belinda,

Why, it makes perfect sense to me....

-Jerry

(Hope you are doing fine!)

Having been to North, and Due West, and Traveler's Rest, etc., it makes perfect sense to me also.

I'm fine thanks, and hope you are the same.

Mitchell Andrus
09-01-2010, 8:10 AM
I love "yawl git chewa"... as in "you will need to obtain a..."

jerry nazard
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Having been to North, and Due West, and Traveler's Rest, etc., it makes perfect sense to me also.

I'm fine thanks, and hope you are the same.

Funny, but my wife is from North Dakota, and they pronounce North as "Nort". No one out there has a clue what "NowAth" is. Yah, you-bet-ja... Darn tootin'....

Rod Sheridan
09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Eh?

Regards, Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Funny, but my wife is from North Dakota, and they pronounce North as "Nort". No one out there has a clue what "NowAth" is. Yah, you-bet-ja... Darn tootin'....

My son (NJ born and raised) is at University of North Dakota and the locals wonder why he doesn't sound like the chowder heads on The Jersey Shore.

Bonnie Campbell
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Even my husband, a life long southerner, was confused by the southern direction to 'turn by the fir tire'..... Translated: Fire Tower :rolleyes:

Charlie Reals
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
OOFda Jerry, ya made me spit coffee all over myself. My ex was from ND, her Dad always pronounced his phone # tree tree tree O. :)

jerry nazard
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
My son (NJ born and raised) is at University of North Dakota and the locals wonder why he doesn't sound like the chowder heads on The Jersey Shore.

Probably all that great lutefisk and hot dish he's scarfing up....

-Jerry (pronounced "Jury")

jerry nazard
09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
OOFda Jerry, ya made me spit coffee all over myself. My ex was from ND, her Dad always pronounced his phone # tree tree tree O. :)

Where do you think MY coffee just went with the "tree-tree-tree-0" stuff? :eek:

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2010, 1:49 PM
Probably all that great lutefisk and hot dish he's scarfing up....

-Jerry (pronounced "Jury")

Where do you think MY coffee just went with the "tree-tree-tree-0" stuff? :eek:

What in the dag nabbed tarnation are youn's talkin' about? :D

Charlie Reals
09-01-2010, 2:12 PM

Lutefisk Belinda ludefisk butt it's only good with leftsa. Ahhhhhh hot dish hmmmmm haven't had that in ... uhh well since me and the ex split. Now we call it casserole:cool:

jerry nazard
09-01-2010, 4:40 PM

Nort Dakoota - a land fir, fir away, wif no 'opossum or pulled pork, but lots of tuna casserole and jello salad. People up yonder don't drink tomato juice, but eat it solid out of a can wif Miracle Whip salad dressing..... :eek:

Mike Langford
09-01-2010, 7:39 PM
Having been to North, and Due West, and Traveler's Rest, etc....

Law-dy gal....What ever did you find to do in the BIG metropolis of TR? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Matt Meiser
09-01-2010, 7:48 PM
Being a Canadian, and occasionally finding myself in many of the states, you do notice that there is a definite difference in both the lingo and the many regional accents. It took a while for me to pick up the various cultural and verbal variances.. Every thing from Yawannasac (translation: would you like a bag to put your purchase in?) to "Ya have a nice one" (I do, but How did she know??). I spent a half hour in a Kentucky truck stop, having fun by trying to get the pretty young thing to say Apple Pie and not Ayaple Pie.. She could not do it..:rolleyes: And, a word of warning for other Canadians, Never order Chips and Gravy you probably won't expect, or like what you'll get :eek:.. To most of us here, your all from the south, even the ones that live in the 30% of the U.S that's further north than I am, which is most of the Northern Border States;)

Canada too, eh? When I worked with a vendor in London, ON, we were always teasing them about (pronounced a-boot) the spelling of colour and such. Add that to no caffeine in Mountain Dew, the fries in the combo meals at Taco Bell and more Tim Horton's than we have Starbucks. :)

Greg Bender
09-01-2010, 9:42 PM
Jerry,
I know and appreciate what you are talking about.I spent 4 years at Why Not Minot AFB and married a girl from Bismarck.I took her back to Conneticut for a few years and then moved her down south.When her relatives come down to visit the conversations are priceless.
Greg

Belinda Barfield
09-02-2010, 7:06 AM
Nort Dakoota - a land fir, fir away, wif no 'opossum or pulled pork, but lots of tuna casserole and jello salad. People up yonder don't drink tomato juice, but eat it solid out of a can wif Miracle Whip salad dressing..... :eek:

Well bless their hearts! No pulled pork? However DO they survive? No 'mater juice either? How do they make Bloody Marys? It just pure makes my head hurt to think of such a life. I do believe I feel a fit of the vapors comin' on.

Law-dy gal....What ever did you find to do in the BIG metropolis of TR? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

LOL . . . I was house hunting. I could have been your neighbor. Love the area by the way.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-02-2010, 10:51 AM
But a buffalo steak fondue (pitch fork fondue) it is as good as pulled pork any day.

jerry nazard
09-02-2010, 6:42 PM
Jerry,
I know and appreciate what you are talking about.I spent 4 years at Why Not Minot AFB and married a girl from Bismarck.I took her back to Conneticut for a few years and then moved her down south.When her relatives come down to visit the conversations are priceless.
Greg

Yep, same here. Hope you are as happy with your "Nort Dakooto farm girl" as I am with mine!

-Jerry

Bill Cunningham
09-02-2010, 8:33 PM
Canada too, eh? When I worked with a vendor in London, ON, we were always teasing them about (pronounced a-boot) the spelling of colour and such. Add that to no caffeine in Mountain Dew, the fries in the combo meals at Taco Bell and more Tim Horton's than we have Starbucks. :)

Only someone with a Scottish accent would say 'a-boot' particularly if you were out and about in a boat (ootnbootnboot).. Canadian law (part of the great Liberal Nanny State) decreed that caffeine shall only be in Colas..It's fer the children donchaknow. What do they have in Taco Bell combos in the U.S.? Before they came to Canada, we thought Taco Bell was the Mexican phone company :D and a Double-Double from Timmys is the ONLY way to start the day Eh!:rolleyes:

Rick Potter
09-03-2010, 3:03 AM
1969 or so....A young California family is driving through rural Kentucky, and sees a lot of smoke coming out of a shed. A 14 year old boy is walking down the road, and the tourists ask him "why is so much smoke coming from that shed?".

"Thats ferta carterbarker", sez he. Say what?, sez I. "Thats ferta carterbarker" sez he looking at us like we are space aliens. OK, we went through that routine several more times, before he slowly says..."Thats fer ta car terbarker".

The newly educated tourists head down the road, having been informed about tobacco curing technique.

Next, a stop for gas, a local comes over and looks at our Chevy pickup with a
36" high borrowed camper shell on it, and informes us....."I seen one of these house cars before".

THEN, the gas station attendant who insisted on pumping the gas,forgets to put on our gas cap, we drive off, and a few miles down the road see gas being dumped on the road. We turn around, go back for the cap, and put a gallon or so back in the truck. The kid wants to charge us for it, and I refuse, saying it was his fault it ran out.

Kid calls for his boss across the street at the restaurant. Boss comes over and argues with me about it. I still refuse. Boss threatens to arrest me. Turns out he is the sheriff, and the Justice of the Peace. Finally tells me to get out of town and never come back.

Interesting vacation. Spent 30 days sleeping in the back of the truck with the wife and two small kids. Couldn't stand up to put on my pants. Went all the way from Ca. to Maine and back. On a budget, total cost $434.

Rick Potter

Dennis Peacock
09-03-2010, 8:17 AM
So Belinda.....

How's ye momma'n nim?

And always remember "Bless his/her heart" always makes a phrase non-attacking: That boy of yors is about as mixed up as a feather in a whirlwind........bless his heart.

Belinda Barfield
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
So Belinda.....

How's ye momma'n nim?

And always remember "Bless his/her heart" always makes a phrase non-attacking: That boy of yors is about as mixed up as a feather in a whirlwind........bless his heart.

Mommanem's fine, Dennis, an yurn?

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2010, 2:24 PM
Mommanem's fine, Dennis, an yurn?

Just dandy. But overall, she's been finer-n frawgs hair.

Bill Cunningham
09-04-2010, 8:40 PM
Shhheeeeesh!! And I was just gittin used to the Canadian East Coast Lingo.. Like:
I wen over the hill ta git me boat, and there it wuz....... gone.....Lard tunderin

Pat Germain
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Belinda, I read the whole thread and I'm disappointed you never once said, "I declare". Of course, we've never met. But I imagine it would sound something like, "Ah de-clay-yah". :) I also imagine you'd be sipping a very large glass of very sweet sweet-tea.

Mike Cruz
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Here in MD, we have a town named Accident.

Roger Newby
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Places I've been:

Diagonal, Iowa....not too far from Gravity.

Fair Play, Missouri....just a few miles from Halfway.

And Omaha, Missouri isn't too far from Memphis, Missouri.:confused:

Mitchell Andrus
09-05-2010, 1:12 PM
Grand Prize winner.....

Intercourse, PA.

Mike Cruz
09-05-2010, 6:46 PM
Yeah, Mitchell, I forgot about that one. Maybe these two towns ought to be closer...:rolleyes:

james mcgrew
09-05-2010, 7:07 PM
why i know exactly where she is from, hang that is just o'er yonder!!

Bill Cunningham
09-05-2010, 9:44 PM
Grand Prize winner.....

Intercourse, PA.

And we won't even discuss Dildo Newfoundland:D

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2010, 6:54 AM
Belinda, I read the whole thread and I'm disappointed you never once said, "I declare". Of course, we've never met. But I imagine it would sound something like, "Ah de-clay-yah". :) I also imagine you'd be sipping a very large glass of very sweet sweet-tea.

Lordy Mercy, Pat, I am so sorry to have diasppointed you! You have me confused with someone from Chaaleston, SC where they drop the "r" and then reattach it to another word, such as tuna, pronouncing it as "tunar". I do not like tea at all, much less sweet sweet-tea. Other than that, I'm pretty much a Southern Belle . . . LOL.

why i know exactly where she is from, hang that is just o'er yonder!!

I figured you'd get this one completely Jim. My friends from Columbia frequently go to the flea market in North.

Dennis Peacock
09-07-2010, 8:48 AM
Maybe this will help every better understand southern. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NsC98xVN0) :D :D

james mcgrew
09-07-2010, 9:04 AM
it is pronounced "coal lumm biya"

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
it is pronounced "coal lumm biya"

I'm glad Georgia isn't the only state with those hard to pronounce town names like Albany (Allbenny), and Vidalia (Videlya).

ray hampton
09-07-2010, 1:44 PM
I'm glad Georgia isn't the only state with those hard to pronounce town names like Albany (Allbenny), and Vidalia (Videlya).

Vidalia may be hard to pronounce but is easy to eat[ no tears

Pat Germain
09-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Lordy Mercy, Pat, I am so sorry to have diasppointed you! You have me confused with someone from Chaaleston, SC where they drop the "r" and then reattach it to another word, such as tuna, pronouncing it as "tunar". I do not like tea at all, much less sweet sweet-tea. Other than that, I'm pretty much a Southern Belle . . . LOL.

Thank you for the clarification. I lived in Southern Virginia for many years. I too never developed a taste for sweet tea. But I do like iced black tea.

If not tea, mint juleps?

Van Huskey
09-08-2010, 3:04 AM
I grew up and spent most of my time in the South but have spent time in all 50 states and by FAR the most difficult to understand people are the Francophones from the Acadiana (South Louisiana). I couldn't fins a quick clip but I did find a decent (and funny) Cajun or Coonass clip, the coonasses are a million times easier to understand than the true Francophones who speak a French dialect which might get one word out of ten understood in either Chicago or Paris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9bsy0DOR0&feature=channel

Belinda Barfield
09-08-2010, 8:45 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I lived in Southern Virginia for many years. I too never developed a taste for sweet tea. But I do like iced black tea.

If not tea, mint juleps?

I declare, Pat, I do love a good Mint Julep. I despair, however, of ever having another decent julep since the loss of my dear friend Stan, a native Kentuckian. He made the most wonderful Mint Juleps! Oh, and his Hot Browns were just as tasty. I have also been known to partake of the occasional bourbon and branch - hold the branch. :D

When I was growing up my mother was hell bent and determined that I would drink iced sweet tea. I was just as determined that I wouldn't. The only way I would drink sweet tea was with evaporated milk added to it. It's actually quite tasty!

Bill Cunningham
09-09-2010, 9:46 PM
Hey Belinda.. Your probably the one to answer this, rooted in the ever present question..

Deya be wantin grits or homefries?

What the heck are 'grits' made of? My guess is it's just cream of wheat, at least that's what it looks like..

Belinda Barfield
09-10-2010, 8:19 AM
Hey Belinda.. Your probably the one to answer this, rooted in the ever present question..

Deya be wantin grits or homefries?

What the heck are 'grits' made of? My guess is it's just cream of wheat, at least that's what it looks like..

Bill, we have had multiple discussions about grits on this forum and y'all are just slap wearin' me down about 'em. :D

If I am eating at home I want grits, if eating out I want hash browns or country fries. Few restaurants serve good grits.

Grits = ground corn. IMHO the coarser the grind the better the grits. Ground too finely you end up with corn meal soup.

Mike Cruz
09-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Belinda, you are SO lucky that you have to explain grits. We Marylanders have to explain crabs. :eek: Funny that "Virginia is for Lovers", and "Maryland is for Crabs"...and we are next door to one another...:rolleyes:

Marty Paulus
09-10-2010, 1:19 PM
all y'all is plural
y'all is singular.

Learned that in Nashville.

Also learned that grits in the diner is polenta at the expensive restruant.:eek:

rick carpenter
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
You have to ask a Southerner where their from twice. Goes like this: Questioner: Where are you from? Rick: Huntsville, East Texas. Questioner: No, no, no, where are you FRUM? Rick: Oh! South Carolina.