PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the NEMA frame size of the R4511 Motor?

Nathan Dekens
08-31-2010, 3:14 PM
Does anyone know what the NEMA frame size of the R4511 motor is? I cant figure it out because the dimensions are not matching up.

Brian Runau
08-31-2010, 6:43 PM
R4511 is the ridig table saw #?

Could be an IEC frame size, european standard.

Brian

Nathan Dekens
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes its the ridgid table saw.

I dont think its IEC (Arn't all the IEC motors 3-phase?) I have measured every dimension of this motor and come out with a NEMA 56 but the 2F dimension on the nema chart is different then the Ridgid motor. On the ridgid motor this dimension is 4". Not 3" like it should be for a 56 frame.

R4511 is the ridig table saw #?

Could be an IEC frame size, european standard.

Brian

Dave Gryger
09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Looks like it could be an IEC 80 frame. The 2E dimension is 4.921" and the 2F is 3.937"

Nathan Dekens
09-01-2010, 8:51 AM
Yes but the 2E dimension I measured is 5-7/8".

One question I have about the IEC motors is everytime I look for a IEC80 frame motor I can never find a single phase motor. This leades me to believe that they do not make a single phase IEC motor.

Looks like it could be an IEC 80 frame. The 2E dimension is 4.921" and the 2F is 3.937"

Angie Orfanedes
09-01-2010, 9:16 AM
Nope, IEC motors are also made in single phase. However, they are usually 208 to 220v.

Alan Schaffter
09-01-2010, 2:31 PM
Is the NEMA frame really important? It is nice to have the exact same frame, but what really matters is the mount- whether the motor can be mounted so the pulleys align. Frame and mount are two different things. Is that motor a foot mount or C-face?

Nathan Dekens
09-01-2010, 3:24 PM
Exactly why im trying to find the correct Nema Frame or IEC frame! This is a ridgid base mount motor not C-faced. Every measurement I take off the motor is pointing me towards a Nema 56 frame its just that my 2F dimension is 4" and not the 3.5". And when I say 4" thats on center from the mounting bolts.

Do they make a 143T or 145T motor with a 5/8" shaft?

Is the NEMA frame really important? It is nice to have the exact same frame, but what really matters is the mount- whether the motor can be mounted so the pulleys align. Frame and mount are two different things. Is that motor a foot mount or C-face?

Alan Schaffter
09-01-2010, 3:35 PM
Exactly why im trying to find the correct Nema Frame or IEC frame! This is a ridgid base mount motor not C-faced. Every measurement I take off the motor is pointing me towards a Nema 56 frame its just that my 2F dimension is 4" and not the 3.5". And when I say 4" thats on center from the mounting bolts.

Do they make a 143T or 145T motor with a 5/8" shaft?

Depending on how quickly I wanted to get my saw back in action, I'd spend a little more time looking, then if I had a motor that was close, I would fabricate an intermediate mount, modify the saw, or modify the motor mount to fit- I did that when I up upped the hp on my bandsaw with a new motor.

Chip Lindley
09-01-2010, 4:22 PM
Nathan, in all actuality, that motor was no doubt made specifically for that tablesaw, if it has 4 exact holes (a ploy to get you to buy a Ridgid replacement? Hmm!) Holes can be relocated or elongated; adapter plates can be made. If you are only 1/2" off, that is 1/4" at each bolt hole. That can be rectified with a hand drill .Necessity IS the Mother of Invention!

Don't forget that many motors have long slots as mounting holes. There is lots of room for adjustment in the Y direction. The machine mount usually provides the X adjustment.

Nathan Dekens
09-01-2010, 4:59 PM
Yes this is all true! I actually have nothing wrong with my motor and the saw runs fine. However I am in the process of writing a guide for other owners of this saw that are having certain insolvable vibration issues.

The holes on the stock motor are elongated but only in one direction. I find it hard to believe that Ridgid would purchase a one-off motor to come as standard equipment on a saw that they recently discontinued. This same trunion setup and motor mounting is also the same as what is used in several Steel City saw designs using 1.75 HP motors and a 3HP version as well.

Nathan, in all actuality, that motor was no doubt made specifically for that tablesaw, if it has 4 exact holes (a ploy to get you to buy a Ridgid replacement? Hmm!) Holes can be relocated or elongated; adapter plates can be made. If you are only 1/2" off, that is 1/4" at each bolt hole. That can be rectified with a hand drill .Necessity IS the Mother of Invention!

Don't forget that many motors have long slots as mounting holes. There is lots of room for adjustment in the Y direction. The machine mount usually provides the X adjustment.

Dennis Ford
09-01-2010, 7:04 PM
Many machines made in China have non-standard motors, neither a NEMA or IEC motor will match exactly.