PDA

View Full Version : Summer cold - YUCK

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2010, 2:09 PM
Anyone have a toilet plunger, or maybe a spare shop vac? I feel like my head is stuffed full of cotton. Can't wait to get home to my Nyquil.

Rich Engelhardt
08-31-2010, 2:39 PM
You have my sincere sympathy.
Summer colds are the worst.

There's only one good thing about one...

It gives you an excuse to get skyed on Nyquil ;).
:D

Perry Holbrook
08-31-2010, 2:41 PM
Belinda, the last two times I have been to the World Congress Center in Atlanta for a trade show, one in May and last week at IWF, both times in Hall B, I have returned with sinus/allergy trouble. Could be just by chance. I know you were there last week also. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that from last week?

Perry

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2010, 3:20 PM
Belinda, the last two times I have been to the World Congress Center in Atlanta for a trade show, one in May and last week at IWF, both times in Hall B, I have returned with sinus/allergy trouble. Could be just by chance. I know you were there last week also. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that from last week?

Perry

Interesting, Perry. I started sneezing on the way home Sunday, and sneezed all day yesterday. Then I woke up all congested this morning. It actually feels more like an allergy/sinus infection than a cold. Hopefully it is just an allergy thing because I have to fly on Friday and I would hate to spread germs.

David G Baker
08-31-2010, 4:33 PM
Belinda,
Benadryl works for me. Your description sounds more like an allergy than a cold. Benadryl will also help you sleep. If it turns out to be a cold, Dayquil or Daycare will help you make it through your work day. Good luck.

Jason Roehl
08-31-2010, 6:17 PM
I generally get about 2 sinus infections per year. This year, I've already had 3. However, I never go to the doctor for them because I have pretty much figured out how to take care of them myself.

1. I use Afrin only at night. This way, I can breathe through my nose and get a good night's sleep, and I don't have any withdrawal effects from it.
2. I eat a clove of raw garlic at least twice a day, more times if I'm at home. Garlic is a great natural anti-microbial, but it must be raw and chewed for the beneficial compound to form, and it needs to get into the body in short order as it breaks down pretty quickly.
3. Lots of fluids, which for me, includes honey-lemon hot tea.
4. Avoid refined sugars and dairy products. (Yogurt's not bad, though).
5. Neti pot. I used a 3:1 mixture of table salt to baking soda (helps temper the burn from the salt). You have to start with a small amount of the mixture (1/2 tsp or less) until you get used to it (I use probably 2-3 tsp now). Stronger is better, and you want the water to be slightly warmer than body temp. I run it on my wrist (like the old baby bottle check) to determine. Cool water is bad.
6. This is my most recent addition to the regimen: ibuprofen. It's an anti-inflammatory, and I found it helped tremendously as (from what I read recently) part of a sinus infection is inflammation of the tissue around the entry to the sinuses. It's a small passageway to begin with.

After about 3-4 days, I usually stop the garlic, Afrin and ibuprofen, because I'm feeling fine by then, but continue with the neti pot and fluids, as the drainage goes on for almost another week.

Bruce Volden
08-31-2010, 7:57 PM
Belinda,

Nyquil around here is nicknamed the green dream. I drink this stuff and I'm out of it for a couple days!! Don't know why it affects me so but I sure can sleep alot! Maybe I shouldn't drink half a bottle??:D

Bruce

Belinda Barfield
09-01-2010, 6:51 AM
Thanks all for your advice. I hit the bed at 8:30 last night after a Nyquil gel cap. I can't take 2 or I will not wake up for a few days. Better today, less congested, now headed for laryngitis. It happens every time I get a cold/allergy thing. Some folks are happy I lose my voice! Go figure.

Dan Hintz
09-01-2010, 8:50 AM
We hear you loud and clear :)

Mike Wilkins
09-01-2010, 9:44 AM
Are you taking Vitamin C on a regular basis. I have been taking 2000mgs a day for over 15 years, and not a single cold or flu in that time period. My sinuses are a different story. I usually start having sinus problems around the middle of September and April. The C regimen may lessen the impace a little, but I have found nothing will prevent my sinus system from acting beserk.
My only remedy is to lay off the cigars for a few weeks and Claritin.