PDA

View Full Version : Put On Your Thinking Caps

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2010, 9:05 AM
It's another 30 days or so before I can run the electric for my shop and so I've been thinking about some good projects to start up when Beauty is back in the spin. Last evening I was watching "Antique Road Show" on PBS. They featured a glass lamp [see Pics #2 & #3 below] by a particular artist and my light bulb went off, no pun intended.:p I began thinking about my thin Box Elder Bowl [see pic #1 below] Then I thought about form for the project, classic or imagination. This lamp on the Show is not exactly a classic yet at a value of $34,000:eek: who cares! I thought about a thin turning out of something like Holly that would give a good Glow with an inked design. Oh well,l just lots of thoughts and ideas? Any of yours would be appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Chirs I have been toying with the idea of doing some air brushing on some thin turnings especially on bland or plain wood. I have some ash I am saving for this as it is pretty plain and I think it would be a good project to tinker with. I think something like the lamp would be a great idea. Especially at $34,000.:D:rolleyes: Now I just need some time to sit down and practice with the air brushing unit I bought.

Tim Rinehart
08-31-2010, 10:55 AM
I know someone will bring up another topic as a result of this ... but you may want to think about projection of a pierced shape as well. Haven't seen it done yet...but when doing a lamp, might add some interest.

Have fun whichever way you go...I'm sure you're itching to get going again.

John Hart
08-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Chris...if you do this, you'll be my hero.:)

Can't you run a wire to the shop and get started today?;)

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2010, 4:12 PM
Chirs I have been toying with the idea of doing some air brushing on some thin turnings especially on bland or plain wood. I have some ash I am saving for this as it is pretty plain and I think it would be a good project to tinker with. I think something like the lamp would be a great idea. Especially at $34,000.:D:rolleyes: Now I just need some time to sit down and practice with the air brushing unit I bought.Bernie the air brush idea would really help those dark design areas. I'd like to see some of the work when you do it.

I know someone will bring up another topic as a result of this ... but you may want to think about projection of a pierced shape as well. Haven't seen it done yet...but when doing a lamp, might add some interest. Have fun whichever way you go...I'm sure you're itching to get going again.Good thought the piercing could be very additive to the light and effect issue.

Chris...if you do this, you'll be my hero.:)

Can't you run a wire to the shop and get started today?;)Wow!! What a goal to shoot for!:D A Hero to the Master. I'll do my very best. Hmm, 220 drop cord of 200 ft.:eek: It's a thought.;)

David E Keller
08-31-2010, 5:17 PM
Neat idea. I would think pyrography would be another way to add a shadow. If you are graphically challenged like I am, I would think you could use stencils or even a projector to get the basic image on the form before detailing. Norfolk pine would be a great choice for something like this because it becomes so translucent... Looks like boxelder works really well also.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-31-2010, 6:13 PM
Neat idea. I would think pyrography would be another way to add a shadow. If you are graphically challenged like I am, I would think you could use stencils or even a projector to get the basic image on the form before detailing. Norfolk pine would be a great choice for something like this because it becomes so translucent... Looks like boxelder works really well also.Good Idea David, thanks. I thought about Norfolk pine but I don't have it here and it usually has its own dark lines which may interfere with the design.:)