PDA

View Full Version : New Design Forum Moderator

Aaron Koehl
12-13-2004, 11:17 AM
New Design Forum Moderator

Hello, everyone. I am pleased to announce the addition of our new Design Forum moderator, Mark Singer! :)

Many of you have noticed the wonderful things happening over here lately, and I thank all of you who are actively contributing your perspectives on design, as well as your project ideas. (What you guys are whipping up in CAD on short order is pretty amazing!)

With that, I invite you all to stay awhile in the Design Forum and welcome our new Moderator. In the future, we will be moving more design-related threads out of the General Woodworking Forum and into the Design Forum. If we keep blowing on it and adding wood (doh! no pun intended), it will eventually catch fire. ;)

(Hey, you should be using "New Posts (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew)" anyway!)

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Woo hoo!!! Great choice...Mark is world-class and inspiring with his work. Congratulations, Mark!

Ted Shrader
12-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Mark -

Congratulations. You are a first rate choice! Thank you for agreeing to do this.

Regards,
Ted

Mark Singer
12-13-2004, 12:14 PM
I really appreciate this opportunity to work closely with SMC Members on design.

The success of this Forum is really based on the membership and their participation. Based on my present and previous posts in the Design Forum and the amazing participation of members, with great drawings, details and guidance...each project seems to elevate to a new level. It is without question the one Forum where members can greatly participate and improve a project by influencing the design. By comparison it is difficult to learn how to hold a #5 plane and the technique....there are certainly experts at SMC...it is just difficult to convey through the medium of the forum.

It all begins with design ....I look forward to observing projects starting at the Design Forum and following their progress through a final design. I think that is exciting for all of us...since in a way each project is , or can be partly ours. I have great respect for each member and their dialogue very often holds the answers that can take a project to new places...break out of the box and see things through others eyes , you could not see alone!

It is difficult for me to draw the line sometimes ...Joinery, finishes , techniques , approaches, tools selected to perform a task are all part of design.

Lastly, although I am know as a Modernist...this Forum is to be held openly and without bias. I don't profess to be an expert on every style...but I do have an appreciation for them. I have traveled the world to help myself undersand other cultures and other periods... Our highest achievement is to construct what each of us truly love and to do it with integrity and our learned knowlege and skill.
Lets toast to begginings and to Design....it is where everything begins!

Dave Richards
12-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Congratulations Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more design discussion. I hope more folks will join in, too. The more discussion, the more we'll all learn.

Glenn Clabo
12-13-2004, 1:06 PM
New Design Forum Moderator

Hello, everyone. I am pleased to announce the addition of our new Design Forum moderator, Mark Singer! :)Aaron - Great pick !

Inspirational...out of the box just enough to provoke some of us to think...lots of energy...AND has good taste in wine. Totally qualified so...What took you so long...salary dispute? :D

Mark - I'm about to start something so you might want to ask for a raise...or go on vacation.;)

Aaron Koehl
12-13-2004, 1:17 PM
What took you so long...salary dispute? :D

I think I'm being fair--
He's getting triple mine and Keith's combined SawmillCreek salaries:

3($0 + $0) = 0.
:D

John Miliunas
12-13-2004, 1:24 PM
Hey Mark, congrats! :D Aaron, you done good! :) Personally, I can't hardly spell dezine, much less be much good at it, but I'll keep paying attention to this forum. Accidents DO happen and I might even lurn sumding! :D :cool:

Glenn Clabo
12-13-2004, 1:25 PM
You guys need a new agent...cuz you got a lot of fans!

Wes Newman
12-13-2004, 1:31 PM
Congratulations Mark,
I may not be that good at design, but I have done drafting for several years, and I work for a company who makes CAD software. If I can help in any way let me know.

John Stevens
12-13-2004, 2:16 PM
Mark, congratulations for sure, but also a big "thanks in advance" for taking on this "labor of love."

Rich Konopka
12-13-2004, 3:11 PM
Outstanding Choice !!!!

Lou Morrissette
12-13-2004, 4:21 PM
Congratulations, Mark. Although I've been primarily a "build to print" guy, I've learned to look at things a little different since coming to the Creek and paying attention to what guys like you have to say. Great choice.

Lou

Joe Mioux
12-13-2004, 6:29 PM
Mark:

Congratulations! Your recent threads/projects have been the spark and SMCr participation has been the fuel to this fired up acitivity in design forum.

Thank you for the spark:
Joe

Tyler Howell
12-13-2004, 7:07 PM
What are his qualifications???? Can we see a resume':rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Congrats Mark! Things just keep getting better and better around here.

Karl Laustrup
12-13-2004, 7:59 PM
As everyone so far has said "CONGRATULATIONS MARK". I look forward to your guidance in all facets of woodworking.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2004, 8:54 AM
Congrats Mark! Your work has inspired everyone here! With your guidance I'm sure we'll all learn more about the "design" side of working with wood!

Ken Salisbury
12-14-2004, 9:10 AM
Welcome to the "Moderator World". I see you were given the same salary as I have been getting since the inception of SMC :) .

Steve Clardy
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Congrats Mark!!

Mark Singer
12-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah,

I guess I shouldn't lease the Mercedes yet:rolleyes:

Welcome to the "Moderator World". I see you were given the same salary as I have been getting since the inception of SMC :) .

Jim Tobias
12-14-2004, 8:19 PM
Congratulations Mark,
Your insights and experience in the design area will only add one more outstanding dimension to the "CreeK". Although I lurk more than post, I lurk often, and gain knowledge everytime I come the the "CreeK". Design seems to me to be an area that has the ability to open a woodworker's eyes (I 'm hoping my own) to fresh/new ideas and, perhaps just as importantly, pushes the need to acquire new skills.
Thanks for taking on the new, highly paid spot!

Jim

Frank Pellow
12-15-2004, 7:23 AM
Mark, I am sure that you will do a great job as moderator. You really really believe in good design and it shows. I mostly lurk on, rather than post to, the Design forum but I do learn a lot here.

Bart Leetch
12-15-2004, 9:41 AM
Yeah,

I guess I shouldn't lease the Mercedes yet:rolleyes:

Just remember Mark.

"All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Gee I saw this somewhere but can't remember where.... :eek: :D

Alan Turner
12-15-2004, 7:15 PM
Mark,
The SMC powers that be have made an excellent choice. With your guidance, we can all strive to the California standard. Just kidding. In fact, the acquisition of tools and their use, while a bit subjective, is pretty easily learnable, but the study of furn. design is nearly without guidance in the literature I have seen. There is Seth Stem's book, now out of print but not rare, and there are "picture books" of designs past, butI found little else.

Perhaps with your guidance, and the collective wisdom and experience of the SMC'ers, we can all elevate our designs a bit.
And while I know that the pay is miserable, at least they could have kicked in the second LN skewed block plane.
Alan

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 8:25 PM
Mark,
And while I know that the pay is miserable, at least they could have kicked in the second LN skewed block plane.
Alan
Alan,
I found if you just use your left hand ....it does the same thing:D

Alan Turner
12-16-2004, 7:27 AM
Mark,
But I have two left hands only.
Alan

Mark Singer
12-16-2004, 5:34 PM
I do too...nice thing is I still have 10 thumbs on each one:rolleyes:
Mark,
But I have two left hands only.
Alan

Keith Outten
12-17-2004, 6:11 AM
Welcome Mark,

We are fortunate to have you with us and you already know that our members are always appreciative of everything we do around here so the job has no down side. Concerning the salary you may consider that it won't have any adverse effects on your tax liability to be a benefit :)

Our Staff is now fully represented from coast to coast or is that Sea to Shining Sea?

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2004, 8:24 AM
Recently time has been tight and I've been barely able to keep up with the fourms. I only saw this post this morning. Congratulations Mark!!

Since coming on board the SS Sawmill Creek your posts have offered much to the members. I have no doubts that you will succeed admirably as moderator of this forum. Now about that job action you proposed to help increase our pay......:D :eek: