PDA

View Full Version : Advise, for a greenhorn

Darin Higginbotham
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi all, I am venturing into the realm of turning, just bought a older full size Delta lathe to get my feet wet, have decided to buy the nova chuck from woodcraft while it's on sale. I was wondering if you can point me in the direction of a decent set of tools that woodcraft has in the 100.00 range, I don't know how hard this is going to be while in a wheelchair, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. While I'm at it should I consider another set of jaws for the chuck, I plan on trying my hand at bowls for the time being. Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Darin,

Welcome to the Turner's Forum.

I think if you can get the lathe mounted at the right height or make a platform so you can get your wheelchair to the right height you can turn.

Believe or not, Oneway of Canada makes a lathe for that type of use but I'm sure they are expensive.

Most "sets" of tools don't come with a bowl gouge. This set at Woodcraft does http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005238/13699/WoodRiver-High-Speed-Steel-Beginners-5-Piece-Turning-Set.aspx though it is only 1/4" bowl gouge. It would make for slow turning when roughing out bowls. I would want at least a 3/8" or better yet, a 1/2". You could however survive with this set if you remember to take light cuts and have patience.

Search for sets at PennStateIndustries also. A lot of folks have bought Benjamin's Best tools there and been very happy with the results.

Check around. There is very probably a turning club in your area. Turners by nature are some of the most generous folks around. I'll bet someone in your area would be glad to give you a hand in getting started correctly.

Welcome to the Vortex!

John Hart
08-31-2010, 6:54 AM
Good luck Darin!! Slipping into the vortex is an easy thing. Getting out is impossible (mainly cuz you don't want to);)

That woodcraft set that Ken linked to looks pretty good. Start with a bonker....take some pics....have a ball. :)

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 7:16 AM
Darin, I probably wouldn't buy a 'set' of tools if I was just interested in turning bowls right now - though as Hart says, it is best to just do a few practice spindles (bonkers.)

If you want to have a 'set' and hold down the initial investment, get this set (http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html) from Harbor Freight, and then order a bowl gouge (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX230.html) from PSI (Benjamin Best.) That should easily keep you under a $100, and you will have all the basic tools for spindle turning and the bowl gouge. I still use my HF set like the one above.

HF did have a little heavier and better set with red handles that is $20-30 more than this set, but I was unable to find the link.

More importantly, however, is to get set up to sharpen the tools you will have. That is essential, as you will normally need to sharpen your gouge more than once while doing a bowl. So, save a little of the budget for a grinder and Wolverine setup.

Michelle Rich
08-31-2010, 7:31 AM
Welcome Darrin..If it were me I would get the Benjamin Best Bowl Gouge in 1/2 inch from Penn State..It's a real winner. Already ground to fingernail shape ..I would not hesitate to pick thru their offerings and buy what I needed. I have Sorby's and Crown's etc, but the BB are the best bang for the buck I have found. PS has good service and if you can catch a techie they are useful about what one would need. Good luck and welcome to the $$$$$pit of woodturning

bob svoboda
08-31-2010, 9:37 AM
Welcome to the Creek Darin. Good advice above. As Michelle said, I have some of the name brand chisels, but still use the BB's I originally bought from PSI. I like the fact that I can experiment with different grinds on a less expensive tool. Good Luck! I hope the wheelchair is temporary.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome to SMC Darin. When I started 5 yrs ago I got this set.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

I still use most all of them yet today even though I have bought many more expensive tools since then. For the money they are decent HSS tools. They served me well and for $70 it gives you most of the tools you need for spindle work as well as turning bowls plus they won't break the bank.

Mike Peace
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
HF did have a little heavier and better set with red handles that is $20-30 more than this set, but I was unable to find the link.
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-turning-set-35444.html

Here is the link to the "better" HF set. I have both sets. I also have a PSI BG. I think one of the PSI sets with a bowl gouge is a better buy.

I do not think you need another set of jaws for bowls till you have been turning a while.

John Hart
08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow..those two sets that Bernie and Mike just posted look absolutely great for getting started Darin. All the specialty items, you should discover through your normal course of learning, as we all learn differently and require special nuances for the special way we do things as individuals.

I think you will find that as you are making a cut, you might want something "just a little steeper" or "just a little narrower"...and you might be able to accomodate your need through a slightly different grind...or start recognizing certain tools that were designed for your need. But it is very important to take the first stages as basic and fundamental as possible.

Either way....today, you are looking at things through a prism....a prism, whose colors will no doubt change in the coming weeks. As you tumble through the vortex, your individuality stays intact as you find out who you are to become as a woodturner.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
+1 on the Harbor Freight set. A CHEAP and pretty good set. No one yet mentioned Doug Thompson's bowl gouge yet? Good gouge and the first thing is you get to turn a handle.

Don't forget to add a sharpening device, which will run you further into the vortex.

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
The PSI set is a nice set, though is does not have a 3/8" spindle gouge. For me, that is a 'go to' tool for spindle work, and for some detailing on bowls (before I got the Thompson detail gouges!)

Russ Denz
08-31-2010, 1:06 PM
Hi Darrin,
I, too, have 1) recently started turning, and 2) live in a wheelchair. However, also knowing how independent us "short people" are, especially when it comes to our stature as it relates to woodworking, I would be more than happy to share / discuss the adjustments I made and see if they would work for you. For starters, since I didn't want to limit myself to the woodworking tools designed for short people, I do everything from stools; in the case of turning I use a swivel draftsman's chair - sans arms - to allow easier movement, which is very beneficial to a turner. I'd also be happy to show you the bench I built to accommodate my Nova DVR XP...after considering many other options.

If I can help you in any way, feel free to PM me; we can venture through this vortex together, as I'm sure you also have some good ideas. Good luck!
Russ

Darin Higginbotham
09-06-2010, 3:36 AM
Sorry for the delay have been away for a few days, thank-you for all of the advise just have to figure out the route to take but sad to say but I'm hooked.;)

Darin Higginbotham
09-06-2010, 3:40 AM
RUSS, PM sent thanx.

Rob Holcomb
09-06-2010, 9:10 AM
Darin, I probably wouldn't buy a 'set' of tools if I was just interested in turning bowls right now - though as Hart says, it is best to just do a few practice spindles (bonkers.)

If you want to have a 'set' and hold down the initial investment, get this set (http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html) from Harbor Freight, and then order a bowl gouge (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX230.html) from PSI (Benjamin Best.) That should easily keep you under a $100, and you will have all the basic tools for spindle turning and the bowl gouge. I still use my HF set like the one above.

More importantly, however, is to get set up to sharpen the tools you will have. That is essential, as you will normally need to sharpen your gouge more than once while doing a bowl. So, save a little of the budget for a grinder and Wolverine setup.

I bought my tools almost exactly as John says except I bought the set of 3 bowl gouges from PSI (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2) All are very good beginner tools, which I am. The only thing I would suggest if you buy the tool set from Harborfreight is that you sharpen them before using them. Mine felt sharp to the touch but I had to work awfully hard to get any results. What did I know? I'd never turned anything and thought tools would come sharp right out of the box. After sharpening they have been just fine.

Allen Neighbors
09-06-2010, 6:02 PM
Hi all, I am venturing into the realm of turning, just bought a older full size Delta lathe to get my feet wet, have decided to buy the nova chuck from woodcraft while it's on sale. I was wondering if you can point me in the direction of a decent set of tools that woodcraft has in the 100.00 range, I don't know how hard this is going to be while in a wheelchair, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. While I'm at it should I consider another set of jaws for the chuck, I plan on trying my hand at bowls for the time being. Thanks

Hi Darrin,
I, too, have 1) recently started turning, and 2) live in a wheelchair. However, also knowing how independent us "short people" are, especially when it comes to our stature as it relates to woodworking, I would be more than happy to share / discuss the adjustments I made and see if they would work for you. For starters, since I didn't want to limit myself to the woodworking tools designed for short people, I do everything from stools; in the case of turning I use a swivel draftsman's chair - sans arms - to allow easier movement, which is very beneficial to a turner. I'd also be happy to show you the bench I built to accommodate my Nova DVR XP...after considering many other options.

If I can help you in any way, feel free to PM me; we can venture through this vortex together, as I'm sure you also have some good ideas. Good luck!
Russ

Darin and Russ, I PM'd both of you. I have a friend that turns from a chair, on a DVR, and his turnings are superb! You three might get together and bless the socks off each other.

George Morris
09-06-2010, 6:35 PM
Welcome Darin!! Now RUN you are falling into the vortex!! There is no getting away!! Your table saw will become a place for you to set your turnings on.

Congrats and when you get some spindle work in buy your tools from Doug Thompson. Great tools good prices you just need to turn some handles for them. G

James Roberts
09-06-2010, 9:02 PM
Welcome, Darin, you've played the smartest card in your hand by coming to the Creek to ask advice. There are lots of talented, knowledgeable people here willing to help and to keep you in the spinniest part of the vortex. Look into a turning club in your area as well. Hands on learning is best but a club will have other resources like books, videos and demonstrations.

+1 on the Harbor Freight red handled set and the Bennies Best 1/2" bowl gouge to get started. Watch E-bay for deals on other items you may want or need in the future, I picked up some Sorby tools for way less than retail there. Throw those few extra pennies at your sharpening setup and you're on your way.