PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Grease

Steve McKee
08-30-2010, 9:17 PM
My machine has started skipping a little and I'm thinking it's most likely needing some grease. Problem is, I used the last of it a while back and haven't ordered any more, procrastination is my middle name. I'm not sure if it takes something special or if any bearing grease will do. If it does take something special is there something else I can use until I can get some ordered? I have some orders that I need to get out as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Steve

Robert Walters
08-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I have zero knowledge of Epilog systems, but...

While there are various type of grease, is what you have used in the past whitish (very pale yellowish) in color?

If so, you might hit the local auto parts store and take a look at white lithium grease and see if that matches what you've used in the past.

Frank Corker
08-31-2010, 6:10 AM
Steve this has been discussed in a previous posting. I'm not sure either what the exact type of grease was again, but it was white grease, however in view of how much your machine is worth I wouldn't mess around using something that might not be suitable. Contact Epilog, they will get it out to you with an overnight delivery if it's required.

Dan Hintz
08-31-2010, 6:14 AM
Lithium is the term Frank was looking for, I believe...

Frank Corker
08-31-2010, 6:23 AM
That's the fella!

andrew zen
08-31-2010, 3:32 PM
NSK bearing grease, this has been discussed a couple of times before. NSK is another vendor for bearings and tracks. Maybe it is the type of rails/bearings for the new Epilogs I have IKO on my Legend.

$10 from Epilog but you get a syringe that is good for 4 or 5 full uses. Maybe put on the Z Axis ball screw as well.

My "funnel" end always pops off when using it and I waste some.

The grease is less pliable than lithium.

Joe Boiman
08-31-2010, 9:18 PM
Another thing to check, is your encoder strip could be dirty.