PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hollow form

Robert McGowen
08-30-2010, 8:14 PM
I keep giving/selling my mesquite and I thought that I might as well turn a piece myself. :cool:

I am not sure if you would call this a hollow form or an enclosed bowl, but I am going with hollow form. I wanted to try some hollow forms, but wanted to see what the cutter was doing, so I thought this would be a reasonable compromise for the first attempt. 8.5" across, 4.5" high, with a 5" opening. 3 coats of Antique oil. SWMBO asked what I was going to do with it, which, of course, is code for "may I have it?"

This is the first attempt using a Monster articulating arm. Comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks!

Alan Trout
08-30-2010, 8:26 PM
Robert,

That is very nice. It has a nice flowing line which compliments the grain of the wood. Very well done.

Alan

Tom Hamilton
08-30-2010, 8:27 PM
Beautiful Robert. Fine shape and finish and a generous area on the bottom to put your signature!

Nicely done.

Best regards, Tom, in Georgia, admiring Robert's fine work.

Tom Sherman
08-30-2010, 8:48 PM
Looks good Robert

Cathy Schaewe
08-30-2010, 9:01 PM
What's to criticize? That's very, very nice -

David E Keller
08-30-2010, 9:23 PM
Nicely done. I think the larger opening is a great idea while you are adjusting to the new tooling.

Thomas Canfield
08-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Looks like your signing is missing to complete. Good shape. I am a little surprised at the somewhat orange tint, but Mesquite does have a lot of color variation depending on location grown, section of tree, and type of finish. Someone will be happy with it.

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2010, 9:41 PM
Robert that is nicely done. Really like the form and finish.

Isn't it funny how they can give those subtle hints?:D:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
08-30-2010, 9:49 PM
Robert - that sure turned out nice! Very pretty wood!

So... what did you think of your new Monster system? Pretty sweet?

Looking forward to seeing what you hollow next!

Richard Madden
08-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Nice job, Robert. I'm also curious how you liked the monster.

charlie knighton
08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
very nice......

John Keeton
08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Excellent!!! Beautiful piece of wood, and whether one calls is a HF or enclosed bowl - it is nice!

And, another soon to be Monster addict getting his first fix! Robert, we all need to know - what did ya' think about it?

Robert McGowen
08-30-2010, 11:18 PM
I have to say, the Monster rig was impressive It is very straight forward and intuitive to set up and use. My main problem was trusting the laser. The piece I posted is about 3/8" thick and a little thicker at the bottom simply because I was unable to get myself to make it any thinner! You do need to realize that the laser is a specific distance from the tip of the cutter and once you change the angle that you are cutting, your wall thickness relative to the laser position is going to change also. I can see where a straight walled vessel would be much easier than something with curved sides to keep a consistent thickness. While the Monster learning curve is fairly easy, the hollowing learning curve is still in progress!

Tony De Masi
08-31-2010, 7:17 AM
Very nice piece Robert. I think it's quite a smart idea to do this type of form with the larger opening than what may be normal so you can see what is actually happening as the business end of the tool.

Well done.

Tony

John Keeton
08-31-2010, 7:33 AM
You do need to realize that the laser is a specific distance from the tip of the cutter and once you change the angle that you are cutting, your wall thickness relative to the laser position is going to change also.And, that is the real key!! I have found in the couple of forms I have done with mine, that changing the laser setting several different times is required for consistent thickness - and, to avoid daylight in spots!!:eek:

steven carter
08-31-2010, 9:40 AM
Robert,

Mighty nice looking cf/hf. No matter what you call it, as the bard once said, A rose by any other name.... and it sure is sweet!

Steve