PDA

View Full Version : Disston #7 Panel saw restore

Robert Culver
08-30-2010, 8:05 PM
Hello again first thanks very much for the help wrapping up my restore on my stanley #40 my Next project is going to be a full restore on a # 7 panel saw made by disston. Sweet small saw but needs some tlc Both horns have good size chips in them so Im just going to salvage the blade here. I dug around in my piles of scraps and was able to find a nice piece of cherry, walnut and mahogany that would be sutable for a new handle. So here is the situation. Its my first time attempting this and will obviously need to get set up with the proper tools to do it. I plan to do the handle,re-set and sharpen it. The guy I bought it from says it has 9 tpi but there is a #8 stamped under the handle so im thinking its actually 8tpi. So im thinking I need at min. A saw set, Saw file Slim or extra slim im not really sure here, and a rasp to shape the handle with I have a fret saw and a coping saw that should get the handle roughed out and a few carving chisles and knives. Any good books I should pick up or sharping tips will also be helpful.

Jonathan McCullough
08-31-2010, 2:00 AM
Check out Wenzloff & Sons website. They have a step-by-step tutorial on how to do make a handle. A couple of other things that would help are forstner bits for the circular concave areas around the horns and on the inside of the handle, as well as a sawmaker's rasp from Tools for Working Wood. After using the latter, I'm not sure how you can make a saw handle without one. Maybe a couple of sizes of rattail files. One tool I used recently that I also really liked was a Microplane rasp that attaches to a hacksaw frame; you can use both hands for added control and oomph. Also the large round microplane with a black plastic handle for the initial stuff around the horns.

Jim Koepke
08-31-2010, 2:31 AM
Check Vintagesaws.com there is a lot of good information there. That is where I learned to cut my teeth so to speak.

There is also a chart there to tell you which files are needed for the tooth count. They also sell files and other items you may want.

There are two ways to count saw teeth, one is points per inch and the other is teeth per inch. One counts how many points fall within an inch and the other counts whole teeth in an inch. There will usually be one more point per inch than teeth per inch. That may be the source of confusion.

What you will eventually find is that you may want a few different saws. For heavy and long cuts, I like about 5 ppi, for a short cut in soft wood that I want to have a edge that is easy to clean up, I will use about 10 ppi. Then there is one for in between. Same with the cross cut saws.

jim

Robert Culver
08-31-2010, 9:53 PM
Thanks guys for the replys I have been checking out the infomation on both sights and had been very helpful Im looking at the rasp from tools for working wood there a great company with great products I have been very happy with all my products I have got from them.

David Weaver
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
You're talking about the saw handle maker's rasp, right? It's a good one - really nice to work with. I'd get something coarse to go along with it though if you have no other rasps.

Robert Culver
09-02-2010, 9:57 PM
thats the one I was also considering there riffler rasp set. I have a coarse nicklson rasp but was also considering the 6 in rasp from grameracy tools also.