PDA

View Full Version : Using cut-out lab to knock out background help.

Andrew Mammoliti
08-30-2010, 7:25 PM
ok guys here we go, im cutting out an object in corel x5 and when I go to laser the photo, I get that cut out line around the object! I did the feather thing in corel but i dont think I did it right because I did not see any changes on the image. I watched a you tube video about cut out lab and also how to feather an object, but for some reason it did not work for me. Do I have to feather object while doing cut out lab? or can i cut out and save file and feather after?

Thanks Andrew

Tom Bull
08-30-2010, 8:26 PM
I'm just guessing here, but did you delete the cut-out line, and/or set your engraver for raster only?
There is a good tutorial on Epilog web site on how to get the feather thing, if we are referring to the same thing.

Andrew Mammoliti
08-30-2010, 9:18 PM
How do I check If I deleted the cut out line? And yes was in raster mode. I will check the link on feathering.

Thanks Andrew

Andrew Mammoliti
08-30-2010, 9:29 PM
Can't find that feather thing on epilog site!

Tom Bull
08-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Well, I just went and looked and couldn't find it either, sorry.

Andrew Mammoliti
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Ok I found it, but how do I check about that cut out line being deleated?

Roy Brewer
09-01-2010, 1:34 AM
ok guys here we go, im cutting out an object in corel x5 and when I go to laser the photo, I get that cut out line around the object! I did the feather thing in corel but i dont think I did it right because I did not see any changes on the image. I watched a you tube video about cut out lab and also how to feather an object, but for some reason it did not work for me. Do I have to feather object while doing cut out lab? or can i cut out and save file and feather after?

Thanks AndrewAndrew,

I picked up your voice mail late in the day, but could never get caught up enough to return it. I'll try tomorrow.

You are knocking out the background of a photograph, correct? CorelPAINT or CorelDRAW?
Are you using Cutout Lab in Paint or are you PowerClipping in DRAW? If the latter, then be sure the container has no outline before PowerClipping.

Roy Brewer
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I watched a you tube video about cut out lab and also how to feather an object, but for some reason it did not work for me. Do I have to feather object while doing cut out lab? or can i cut out and save file and feather after?
Andrew,

Here are the links to the videos using PhotoPAINT's Magic Wand to knock out the photograph's background in preparation for lasering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21lF0Ipn0Zw
http://www.screencast.com/users/RoyBrewer/folders/Default/media/8b1069c2-c0c2-46e3-ba6d-ef1a6d85d2c9

HTH,

Andrew Mammoliti
09-04-2010, 2:57 AM
Thanks Roy, will try it tmr and let you know how it goes. Very helpful I learned a lot from these two videos. When you get a min, can you also do a video on photograv 3. That would tie in all these videos.

Thanks Andrew

Andrew Mammoliti
09-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Roy, when I follow those steps an run the images in 1 touch, or PG3, then I zoom in to the black and white 1 bit, and zoom in I still see this dark outline around the cut out parts only. This is with the feather thing and all that you instructed in the videos. When I did the image in corel and corel paint, and did all the process there, then convert to 1 bit BW, then zoom in real tight that hard black trace line is not present on the cut out parts. Is this something that PG3 does to cut out parts when converting them? I am going to laser them this aft. and see my results.

Thanks Andrew

Andrew Mammoliti
09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Roy, so i did some testing and the line is there as I thought it would be, only on the cut out/knocked out portion. The 1 touch was the best, the PG3 was ok just a little washed out on the laser tile, both were done on laser tile and both pictures were same. I think in PG3 it has to do with enhance edges that line thing, as I was playing with that feature. But I also need more dots in the PG3 tile sample as it was missing detail, both were 1000dpi.

I can send you the file I used.

Thanks Andrew

Roy Brewer
09-05-2010, 3:45 PM
I can send you the file I used.Andrew,

Thanks for the update. Send me the files(b4 & aftr?), so I can see that with which you're dealing. Even better, attach it to a post and you'll get a broader list of solutions from the folks on this forum who do much more with photos than I.

I'm royZ@engravingconceptsZ.com (remove the "Z"s)

Andrew Mammoliti
09-05-2010, 4:41 PM
O.K. Roy, I think I know what I did wrong with the file, took me a while, but as for photograv3 I need to get them to give more detail, I will post up here or send you some files, The 1 touch is great, easy, but the PG3 need to tweek it a bit I think.

Thanks Andrew