PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turned Willow?

Tom Hamilton
08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Greetings to all:

Yesterday, a friend delivered eight pieces of 10-12 inch diameter just cut, green willow.

I've anchorsealed it and am curious about turning this species.

Any wisdom out there on willow as turning stock.

Thanks, Tom

Joshua Dinerstein
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Yesterday, a friend delivered eight pieces of 10-12 inch diameter just cut, green willow.

Any wisdom out there on willow as turning stock.

I have turned some. It cuts nicely. But it was soft soft soft. Not sure how it will compare to what you got but I found that it was eerily soft. In the end I left some grooves I was unable to cut out but was able to sand them out almost instantly. The stuff I had had some beautiful color and grain so it was worth working with.

Joshua

Josh Bowman
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
http://theislandgallery.net/shop/images/todd%20bowl%20willow%20med.jpgGoogle images resultshttp://www.artistryinwood.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Bowl-031.jpghttp://thewoodbutcher.com/4-10-07%20003a.jpg

Chris Stolicky
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
My limited experience:

Soft, wet, stringy, and stinky.

Can be anywhere from plan grain to nice curl.

Don Orr
08-30-2010, 1:51 PM
What Chris said.

steven carter
08-30-2010, 2:41 PM
Tom,

There are probably several kinds of willow, the one I turned was not as bad as I had supposed. It is soft and somewhat stringy, but with a little patience I think you will be glad you tried it.

Steve

Mark Levitski
08-30-2010, 8:48 PM
I have a couple roughouts drying from a big willow tree. We also have a huge log section waiting to be slabbed for the other side of our business--free form rustic furniture.

I will tell you that the roughouts look very nice and are drying well in paper bags in a 40% humidity shop. Can't wait to finish them. After working with a lot of softer species, including white pine and poplar, and experiencing the associated problems and frustrations, I am not intimidated by any warnings re: troublesome wood, no matter how well-intended. Give it a try and you will for sure learn good technique and some patience to boot. I have had some really nice pieces come out of it, and they make it all worthwhile. Just look at J.B.'s photos!

Rough them out and don't worry what they look like after that, stringy or not.

John Hart
08-30-2010, 8:56 PM
Willow was the only time that I got wet while turning. I was constantly wiping off my faceshield and my shirt was soaked. Then everything sticking to me....down the collar...in the sleeves.

It was great.:)

Curt Fuller
08-30-2010, 8:59 PM
I'm certainly not a tree-ologist but I believe that willow, cottonwood, and aspen are all very closely related. I've turned all three and they share many of the same characteristics..stringy when green but not so bad when dry. And they tend to be pretty bland in the straight sections of the tree but can have exceptional color and figure in the crotches and at the base of the tree and they color nicely with time when left out in the elements.

Tom Hamilton
08-30-2010, 9:09 PM
Thanks for each of you for the info. And especially to Josh for the pics. Sounds like it's worth the effort to make some blanks.

Progress report to follow.

Best regards, Tom

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2010, 9:46 PM
Heck Tom any free wood is good to turn. I have to say like Curt that willow and cottonwood are stringy when green. You can come up with a bland bowl or one with great color. A friend of mine uses willow for air brushing. I just got my outfit so I am going to give it a go.

Steve Kubien
08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
The only willow I put on the lathe ripped out of the chuck as soon as you showed it a gouge. Broken tenons, slippage, nasty. I also had some blanks cut and rounded into spindle blanks for peppermills. I split one open last week and carved a spoon with it. Pretty wood but not something I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for.