PDA

View Full Version : Madrone Burl Closed Form

Harvey Schneider
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I turned this quite some time ago from a scrap of the same burl that yielded the bowl I recently posted. I was never happy with the shape of it. The bottom section was a continual gentle curve and I always felt that it looked like it was sagging. This week I finally got the nerve to flatten the bottom two thirds of the form and I think that I finally like what I have done. It is interesting that I only took off about 1/16th of an inch at the maximum point and it made a tremendous difference in appearance. This piece now has the lift that was needed.
The piece is 3.75" tall by 5" wide.
This only has two coats of Tung Oil Finish, after sanding to 400 grit. It looked shiny even without the finish. The color gradient is natural, but I expect that over time the lower portion will darken like the shoulder and foot. I left some voids and fissures of the burl exposed on the lower outside as a reminder that this was part of an imperfect living thing.
My apologies, the light crescent streak is sunlight reflected off the camera lens.

159880 159881 159882 159883 159884

bob svoboda
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Interesting form. I wasn't sure at first, but the longer I look the better I like it. A beautiful piece of wood and you did a super job on the finish.

brian watts
08-30-2010, 7:27 PM
that a beautiful piece of wood.. way to go

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2010, 9:50 PM
Interesting piece and the wood is beautiful.